FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I archive MXF or Native XDCAM files?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank manno
Should I archive MXF or Native XDCAM files?
on Jan 5, 2009 at 9:42:34 am

I'm trying to understand the difference between MXF files and native XDCAM files especially for archive purposes.

Should I archive the native files from my XDCAM cards onto a blueray disk or should I first use ClipBrowser to convert them to MXF and store those?

Also, is there any quality loss in transferring to MXF as apposed to leaving them as native files?

Is there any point whatsoever in storing native files? Or just copying the tree structure from the cards?

-Frankie

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Should I archive MXF or Native XDCAM files?
on Jan 5, 2009 at 3:32:11 pm

I save what I call the raw or original BPAV Folder as it will allow you to create Quicktme and/or MXF files from them. I could never be sure I wouldn't need these originals. You must place this BPAV folder inside a Parent Folder and never rename the BPAV folder.

Anytime you re-encode/transcode (a digital file to another digital file) you may loss a tiny bit of of quality, but if you are just re-wrapping the original file then there is no quality hit at all.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jan 5, 2009 at 6:37:37 pm

Definitely native files. Look down a few threads to the EX Codec Business thread, and you'll see what happens if you deliver the wrong files to an editor. Keep the BPAVs (combine them if you wish, using Clip Browser) and be ready to kick out files ready for any supported editing system at the drop of a hat.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:24:03 pm

BPAV are your camera masters. Back them up.
From those BPAV you'll be able to go to whatever you need in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]