FORUMS: list search recent posts

BPAV Emergency!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raeshem Nijhon
BPAV Emergency!
on Jan 4, 2009 at 2:46:41 pm

Hello,
I am traveling through Kashmir currently and have been having to do blind drops of my footage in the field. One of my colleagues dumped footage off the card yesterday but before dumping CHANGED the name of the BPAV folder. After getting it onto our FW drive we changed the name BACK to BPAV and it exists inside another folder. i know this somehow means trouble- messing with the folders structure but i am hoping like hell that all is not lost!!

we have the BPAV folder and all the files, it is just not being recognized by XDCAM transfer and we can't get the files into a usable format....

How can we transfer these files into something usable at this point??

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much, in advance!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: BPAV Emergency!
on Jan 4, 2009 at 3:44:47 pm

Each BPAV should be named BPAV and nothing else.
Each BPAV should exist in a "parent" folder.
It is that parent folder that you add to XDCAM Transfer Tool.

Do you have the above set up properly?

Make sure you have:
ClipBrowser 2.00.01
XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.8

Return to posts index

Raeshem Nijhon
on Jan 4, 2009 at 7:58:34 pm

Thanks Craig for your response. I realized this and finagled with the folders a bit. For some reason even after I renamed it just BPAV that XDCAM transfer was not 'seeing' the clips. I found a way to 'trick' the folders and cut and pasted from the non working BPAV folders into some working ones and i think just having that correct folder structure allowed transfer to pick up the clips i cut and pasted in. i'm surprised it worked! Good to know for the future...
thanks for taking time to respond.
R

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 4, 2009 at 11:21:48 pm

If the meta data doesn't match the MP4 clips contained within the BPAV, XDCAM Transfer will not see the clips.

There's an EASY fix. Clip Browser 2 can see the "orphaned" MP4 files and create new BPAV folders. They won't have the original time code numbers but you will have working files.

That's why I mentioned that you must have Clip Browser 2. It will not work with earlier versions. You no longer need to do what you did.

Return to posts index

Aiden Finn
on Jan 4, 2009 at 11:45:36 pm

In fact, XDCAM Transfer 2.8 seems to handle the orphaned .MP4 files just fine. Time codes seem to be OK as well. Just copy all the .MP4 files into a folder and drag them onto the Source list on the left of the window.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 5, 2009 at 12:07:36 am

Outstanding! I just tried it and it worked. Timescode matched too.

I took an MP4 and dropped it into a folder. No other metadata. The folder wasn't called BPAV either.

Return to posts index

peter hitchcock
on Jan 5, 2009 at 6:41:38 pm

I just posted this

Hi!
Using xdcam browser 2.5.1
I cant import clips instead of MP4 at the end they have SMI? I can view them .
=I just had the EX1 camera upgrade at Sony to 1.11

We have a shoot tomorrow and are wondering whats up

Thanks for your response

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:21:48 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. In any case update to XDCAM Transfer to 2.8.

Please use SPECIFIC terms when describing problems.
Import how?
Clip meaning?
You don't explain what you're doing specifically.
XDCAM Transfer rewraps MP4 to MOV. Split and Spanned clips use the SMI which joins those clips into a single MOV.
If you ADD all your folders that contain BPAV to the left window and SELECT ALL and then IMPORT ALL. You don't need to worry about MP4 vs SMI. The software knows what to do.

Unless you're doing logging and subclipping there's no reason to mess with individual clips.
Split and Spanned clips are SMI extension. All the rest are MP4.

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Jan 6, 2009 at 8:25:38 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. In any case update to XDCAM Transfer to 2.8.

Please use SPECIFIC terms when describing problems.
Import how? THRU XDCAM TRANSFER
Clip meaning? CLIP IN XDCAM TRANSFER
You don't explain what you're doing specifically.IMPORTING FROM EX1
Some of the clips in xdcamtransfer window had SMI from EX1 wouldnt import. You can see import on the XDCAM Transfer lower right and once pressed it appears in FCP.
Now I have selected the clip in xdcamtransfer marked one frame less and it appears as a subclip in XDCAMtransfer. So I got it to work ok.

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Jan 6, 2009 at 9:09:10 pm

Now I have updated to FCP 6.0.4 and OX 10.5.6 with XDCAM 2.8.
I cant get XDCAM 2.8 to work it just shows up in the Menu and in name only and nothing else. Maybe cos I'm in Canada. I backed up the library file. Wondering what to do? Should I go back and reinstall 2.5?
Should I dumps some prefs?
Thanks a bunch

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 6, 2009 at 9:10:53 pm

2.5.1 had problems with some types of timecodes if I remember. Did you update to 2.8?

SMI should be importable if ALL the components clips are available.

That's why I say simply ADD all the folders and then Select All. Then everything should import UNLESS you are missing folders. If you're importing subclips then you may be missing parts of the clip.

It sounds like something is wrong in your workflow. Update to 2.8 first though. Older versions do have bugs.

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Jan 6, 2009 at 9:19:44 pm

Thanks for your quick response Craig..

2.5.1 had problems with some types of timecodes if I remember. AMAZING ITS NOT UP ON THE N AMERICAN SITES!!
Did you update to 2.8? YES I DID BUT IT WONT WORK

SMI should be importable if ALL the components clips are available.
FOUND A WORK AROUND with making a sub clipNot sure how I can get XDCAM transfer working ... Anybody know how to get it 2.8 going?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 6, 2009 at 9:58:41 pm

Peter, Did you uninstall the last Clip Browser version?
find my email address on my profile and send me your contact info.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Jan 6, 2009 at 10:40:55 pm

I found the xdcam transfer info on my second monitor. My Mail has gone over to a second monitor along with browser.
Seems the upgrades have screwed 2nd monitor size

Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 6, 2009 at 11:02:19 pm

[Peter Hitchcock] "I found the xdcam transfer info on my second monitor. My Mail has gone over to a second monitor along with browser.
Seems the upgrades have screwed 2nd monitor size "

OT: Netflix does that to me all the time but not Hulu.

I end up setting the monitors to mirrored to find everything in a pinch but once back to normal 2 monitor mode I have go dragging things back. Not very fun when the 2nd monitor is a 46" HDTV in the next room.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]