FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slowmotion tests with EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikko Kovasiipi
Slowmotion tests with EX1
on Jan 4, 2009 at 2:41:56 pm

Hi. I made few tests to see what would be the best way to do slowmotion video with sony ex1. Check it out at http://mizako.com/motion/ and let me know if you have some other gimmicks.

mikko.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Slowmotion tests with EX1
on Jan 4, 2009 at 3:04:00 pm

There's a lot of stuff your test doesn't take into account. Your tests are interesting but subject is really critical.

Retiming (Optical Flow) can often introduce all sorts of ugly artifacts ("swimming" etc) when shooting complex objects. Basically Optical Flow can make all sorts of mistakes. Try the same soccer ball in the middle of a soccer match while players are running around each other for example.

Extrapolating/creating frames is often not as good as having the actual frames. In simple tests like yours it may not make as much of a difference. IMHO have more temporal resolution at the source is generally better.

Basically Optical Flow is good for simple subjects with non moving background and the subject doesn't cross the path of other objects. I don't find that situation in my shoots.

Shutter speed impacts motion blur and its use may depend on the desired aesthetic. If one wants to simulate a hight speed camera than higher shutter speed is better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]