FORUMS: list search recent posts

MxR testing

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
MxR testing
on Jan 3, 2009 at 5:18:30 am

Testing MxR with Sandisk Ultra II 32GB cards. They cost $150 US each. Purchased at J&R in New York City.

Card shows 118 minutes when formated.

Quick start stop record - Did a series of quick start top records. No problems.

Overcrank - Set to 720p30 and tested overcranking. At 720p30/60 it would result in Media Error just before 30 seconds. This was consistent on several attempts. Clip itself played (was not corrupted though).

Playback in camera - I can not play ANY clips back in camera. 3 second record review results in error and a black screen. Going into playback mode on camera and the icons show but any attempt to playback results in media error and black screen.

Anybody else actually attempt to playback clips from Sandisk Ultra II? This might be frustrating if client wants to review takes.

Long Clip Record - Recorded one super long clip the full 118 minutes and there were no record issues.

Transfer speed from SDHC using USB - Once recorded I inserted the Sandisk Ultra II 32GB card in a Sandisk 12 in 1 card reader hooked up via USB2 to my MacPro 8 core. Using ClipBrowser with CRC checking on it took a few seconds over 1 hour to copy (1:00:30). Basically it was 2x realtime. Doing a straight drag and drop of the BPAV to my hard drive took 26:30 to copy which was just over 4x.

When I get the chance I'll try the Transfer speed test to MacBrookPro laptop with MxR in Express slot

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
Re: MxR testing
on Jan 3, 2009 at 4:06:51 pm

Just waiting for my MxR adapters + 16 Gig Ultras.. do your tests apply for 16 G cards also ?? ... My concern is about the clips playing in camera...

kind regards

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
1.11 Firmware or camera playback problem
on Jan 4, 2009 at 4:12:36 am

As noted above I couldn't playback clips in the camera. I discovered I have the problem with SxS cards too.

Turn YPbPr/SDI Out Select - OFF
Playback WORKS. Both SxS and MxR last clip review WORKS. Media Mode Playback WORKS.

Turn YPbPr/SDI Out Select - SD or HD
Clip review does NOT WORK. Both SxS and MxR last clip review results in Media Error. This has no impact on going right back into record or anything else

Media mode playback does NOT WORK. Black screen when attempting playback. Cards is briefly accessed (light goes Red the goes Green and stays Green) and tally light flashes. Camera locks up and must be shut off.

My guess is that there is either an issue with Sony's install of the new firmware or they screwed up the hardware.

Can anybody else with firmware 1.11 in EX1 test this too?
In Camera mode make sure camera YPbPr/SDI Out Select is on either HD or SD and then use Clip Review function.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 1.11 Firmware fixed on reinstall by Sony
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:15:26 pm

Drove to Sony Teaneck. Showed the issue to the tech who had done the original maintenance. He confirmed he had never seen anything like this before.

I told him that I believed it was a firmware issue. He reinstalled the firmware and . . . the issue is FIXED!

IMHO this is why the firmware should be user or local dealer installer. Fortunately it's only about a 30 minute drive to Teaneck for us. Had it been San Jose it would likely be 10 or more day turnaround between shipping and sitting on the wait list for a tech.

Time for us was 30 minutes there. 1 hour between waiting and 30 minutes of tech time to explain issue, update again, test again. 30 minutes back. Total time 2 hours.

For those getting their cameras back from Sony after firmware upgrade. Check all functions. Even obscure ones.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jan 5, 2009 at 9:03:11 pm

I did my update myself on my EX1 and I found that the SDI out wouldn't play 24PsF feature while in record mode so I did a camera Reset All and viola, it worked. I'm thinking that the tech may have forgot to reset the camera as part of the firmware update. My EX3 doesn't have this 24PsF output feature and I am wondering why, the original firmware is the same as the EX1 v1.02_0078, however it does record to the MxR/SDHC combo.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 5, 2009 at 11:10:52 pm

[Michael Palmer] "I'm thinking that the tech may have forgot to reset the camera as part of the firmware update."

I had the same thinking so I did an all reset and that didn't fix it. I also removed and then reinserted the lithium backup battery (basically a "hard" reset) and that didn't fix it either.

The odd thing is I couldn't play ANY clips in the camera unless I turned off SDI completely.

I'm sure glad it only takes us 30 minutes to drive to Teaneck. It would have been a major hassle to ship to San Jose (given cost and turnaround time). I would have been livid if I were living in St. Louis or some place in middle America. I told the Sony tech this is why user firmware upgrades are important for a business. He said the user might make a mistake (and I thought to myself, . . . like Sony just did!).

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Jan 7, 2009 at 1:29:02 am

I have been biting my tongue for a few days on this firmware/MxR issue. Waiting weeks for a repair from Sony is a particularly sad state of life here in Hawaii. I wish that I had known about the firmware issue before I bought the MxR readers and sdhc cards 3 weeks ago. I scanned the forum and didn't see but one oblique reference to it. The idea that I will have to ship my camera away for weeks is not appealing. Let me add my name to those who wish Sony would make firmware updates available to users or dealers.

Best,
Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 7, 2009 at 1:58:12 am

There are people in back alleys in trench coats who'll show their naughty bits for the taking. Caveat Emptor.

It took us 30 minutes to drive to Sony Teaneck and just over 3 weeks to get the camera back. The holdup was the circuit board for the battery drain issue though. I have heard stories of people walking in to the Sony Service Center (San Jose, CA?) and having it done while they wait.

After mucking it up the first time Sony did that for me the 2nd time. We went to Teaneck and back in 2 hours.

Given the cost difference between the Sandisk Ultra II 32GB card $150 and the SxS 32GB card $1425 or the Transcend 16GB card $26 and the SxS 16GB card $750, it's almost (mind you I say almost worth the down time.

BTW Sony tech I spoke too seemed to be aware of the forums in which the MxR is being "discussed." I think they realize people aren't getting the firmware upgrade for to buy SxS 32GB cards are use their hard drive.

It's kinda like teasing the dog by holding the bone just high enough so the dog has to take a really hard jump to get that bone.

It might almost be worth it to fly to San Jose if Sony will do a 30 minute walk in. The money saved in card costs has to be greater than the air fare.

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:14:06 am

The notion of a walk in repair at Sony seems farfetched to me. When we had a service center in Honolulu. You could walk in and wait a month.

You are right-and the guys at e-films make this point as well-that it will probably be worth the wait. That is, unless, they muck it up and you get to return to the back of the queue.

Sony makes great products. They sure make you suffer if something needs fixing, though.

Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]