EX3 picture just not right

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Shepherd
EX3 picture just not right
on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:33:37 am

Hey all,

First time poster here....

Now i just purchased the EX3 and one thing i have noticed straight away when i transferred the footage into FCP on my MBP, is that the hightlights are peaking out. I have done a side by side comparison (EX3 and MBP playing the image) and can see that the MBP has only the hightlights blown out compared to what is seen on the EX3 LCD, the rest of the image seem to be consistent on both LCD and MBP...... I have spoken to a friend with a EX1 and he said the same thing....

Secondly to this the EX3 LCD image seems to be a little more saturated to what im viewing on the MBP in FCP QT player too....

So i guess my questions are:
-have people noticed this, is it a common trait?
-how can i remedy it?

My assumption is to start to work the Picture Profiles to manipulate the image.... Where is a good resource of info to understand the setting to adjust accordingly?.....Can anyone suggest some nice settings?

Anyway, I appreciate your time. Looking forward to hearing back soon.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX3 picture just not right
on Dec 23, 2008 at 5:07:24 am

The EX3 features a new viewfinder with plenty of control setting that could lead you to making mistakes with the exposure. I really like the Histogram and setting the zebras to 90 to aid in my decisions of exposure. I would put up the bars and set the on board viewfinder monitor accordingly as you would calibrate any field monitor and leave it alone only adjusting the peaking after to taste for help with focus.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:16:50 pm

There is a great double DVD instructional workshop on the EX1 by Vortex Media wherein Doug Jensen goes through all aspects in a very professional manner. I think that this is essential viewing even if you're an experienced cameraman. I'm surprised that all the distributers of this camera don't at least bring it to the attention of customers even if they don't give them a complimentary copy, which I was fortunate in receiving. Then we are very civilised in the UK!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:36:00 pm

Michael
The OP requested info about the EX3, perhaps you meant EX3 and not the EX1 as there are both instructional DVD's now available from Vortex Media. I have Doug Jensen's "Mastering the EX1" DVD set and while it doesn't have information about the EX3 viewfinder it was essential for me as I was starting out with my first EX1 last year at this time. I'm sure Doug goes over the new viewfinder feature in some detail and having these available for new users is fantastic, if they know about them as you point out. http://www.vortexmedia.com/EX3DVD/EX3DVD.html

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bo Skelmose
on Dec 25, 2008 at 3:53:11 pm

You have to manipulate with the knee sttings. With the Standard settings comming with the camera - white will blow out. I Found the settings in another forum some time ago. Knee point at 85 and a slope on 55 as far as I remember.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Shepherd
on Jan 9, 2009 at 4:40:30 am

Gentlemen fantastic advice. Thanks!

I bought the Doug Jensen EX3 DVD... what a priceless resource of information!!!

He does talk about the need to adjust the EX3 picture with the Picture Profile settings..... He mentions the highlight blow out and provides some great settings to use. The before and after shots in the DVD really iterated this.

Have now solved my issue.

To further what i have learnt, i wonder if it possible to get information about what all the settings mean in the PP?

Many thanks again..... I wish you all positive karma for your work!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]