FORUMS: list search recent posts

mxf to bpav or better yet mov

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Morales
on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:26:45 pm

ahoy,

anyone know how to convert mxf files back to bpav files without importing into avid and back out?
the xdcam ex clip browser does not come with a help menu and i've not found anything of the like on any of sony's sites.
mille grazie.
LM

tvmambo

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
Re: mxf to bpav or better yet mov
on Dec 17, 2008 at 2:55:22 pm

Well if you really mean 'better yet mov', then XDCAM Transfer presumably does what you want really easily, on a Mac...

On the other hand if you really want 'mxf to bpav', then I don't know any software that can do this in one step. With the latest version of XDCAM Transfer (2.8) having converted your MXF files to .mov, you can then export the clips from Final Cut Pro without any re-rendering back to .MP4 files for use on an SxS card (BPAV). You might even be able to use the XDCAM Exporter app directly without going anywhere near FCP.

Return to posts index

Larry Morales
on Dec 18, 2008 at 2:07:16 am

aha !
therein lies the problem. i am using the xdcam clip browser for i have avid media composer on a mac.
i want to create the mxf files editing but the producer needs mov's for viewing with quicktime(not fcp).

i know the xdcam transfer app allows creation of qts with timecode tracks.

no one seems to have a workflow for creating producer friendly mov files with timecode without importing into avid and spitting out tc burned in.

thanks,

LM

tvmambo

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:12:19 pm

What is it about the QuickTime movies created by XDCAM Transfer that isn't producer friendly?

Return to posts index

Larry Morales
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:41:34 pm

i can't use xdcam transfer. i'm on avid so i've to use xdcam browser which does not allow me to export mov files. i can create wmv files which would work but they don't have the necessary timecode track for the producer to use.

tvmambo

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:52:20 pm

Sorry I'm confused. I thought you said i have avid media composer on a mac.

Return to posts index

Larry Morales
on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:02:54 pm

i do.
the clip browser gives you avid options... ie: mxf for nle files. it does not give you any mov file options.
so from the xdcam browser i cannot create mov files with timecode track for producer, i've to create
mxf, bring into avid, add timecode window and spit back out as small qt movie.
when you've 8 hrs of video it becomes quite time consuming.
LM

tvmambo

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:37:49 pm

OK, if I've understood correctly it sounds like you have two issues with using XDCAM Transfer:

1. The fact that you'd have to use it to make .mov in addition to using Clip Browser to make MXF for Avid

2. Your producer doesn't want/need a full-res .mov and XDCAM Transfer doesn't do transcoding

Is that right?

I can see that (1) doubles the storage/time taken, since you'll be turning all your .MP4 into both MXF and .mov, but if you actually need both I don't think you're going to find any software that can produce both simultaneously. (Hmm, maybe you could run both Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer simultaneously?)

If I've understood that you need (2) as well, that seems like the real trouble. Maybe there's some app that will batch transcode to make small .mov for you?

Return to posts index

Larry Morales
on Dec 18, 2008 at 4:43:13 pm

you've got it.
xdcam transfer app works in conjunction with fcp which i don't have. it utilizes fcp's codec to wrap the quicktime movies. i'm now in process of installing fcp just so i can use the xdcam transfer app merely to create the dang quicktime movies(with timecode).
seems like the only way to get around this.
i heard earlier on a post that qt is going to incorporate a tc track in its next version.
LM

tvmambo

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Dec 18, 2008 at 5:54:07 pm

You don't need FCP! XDCAM Transfer will happily rewrap MXF or MP4 to QuickTime movie without the FCP codecs installed.

Obviously you can't see the video without the codecs installed, but you can still import. It will warn you that the codecs aren't installed, but just set Preferences > General > Codecs: Import clips with no installed codec, and there you go. Of course, your producer will need the codecs on his Mac to review the movies. (And there have been suggestions in the past on how to accomplish this without installing FCP... RE: XDCAM Transfer w/o FCP.)

> i heard earlier on a post that qt is going to incorporate a tc track in its next version.

What do you mean by incorporate a tc track? QuickTime movies can already have timecode tracks and QuickTime Player can show this timecode in its time display.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:19:30 am

Hi Larry,
You really can not import EX-1.mov to the Avid on your MAC?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]