FORUMS: list search recent posts

F75 & >500mb

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Haywood
F75 & >500mb
on Dec 16, 2008 at 5:11:25 pm

Hi All

This one's somewhat frustrating and wondered if it was just us.

We bought the deck thinking we could use the entire disk to backup, lets say maybe a 16gb BPAV folder from one of ex3's.
but it will only do 500mb in the 'general' folder.

Does anyone know if a firmware update will fix this?

Regards and thanks in advance.

Simon

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: F75 & >500mb
on Dec 16, 2008 at 5:38:45 pm

I've heard that Sony would have a firmware update for the PDW-U1 that would do exactly as you describe. Apparently the "delivery" date is not firm.

Way back when I heard this would be released at NAB 2008 which has come and gone. I also don't know if/when such update happens if it will be "across the board" for XDCAM decks.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Dec 17, 2008 at 2:18:18 pm

Here's what I got from Sony re: the PDW-U1:

Hi Clint-

It's actually going to require a combination of U1 firmware and an updated driver for the Mac, both of which are still a few months away.

The driver will enable you to write MXFs back to the disc. The firmware will enable you to expand the 'General' area up to the remaining capacity of the disc (currently it's locked at 500 MB). We'll have an announcement on the website when the driver is available, or you can feel free to check in with us in a month or two.

Curt Pair passed this along in a prior thread about archiving to disc:

A person in Sony's POSC recently sent me the following email: "GENERAL folder storage update is on the way but will first be released for the pdhd1500, then the U1, then possibly the F75 and other phase 2 machines. ETA is sketchy but it should happen within the next few months." (note: other phase two machines are F70/F30)

So now it's a waiting game. I think the Sony folks have created a great architecture that, once they start figuring out some of these features, is going to get even better. Sure, it's a bummer that the archiving end of it is running behind, but I remain optimistic.

Cf

Return to posts index

Simon Haywood
on Dec 17, 2008 at 5:57:27 pm

Thanks for your input

Think I have a new issue now that seems to have an easy fix, I just cant find it.

Can someone send/paste/explain the workflow for backing up sxs cards to xdcam disc using clip browser and an F75 deck

Have eported to card contents to mxf for xdcam and now have a folder of mxf files, but I cannot get them accross to the disc with out an error regarding the rights to copy to the folder.

Any help much appreciated

s

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Jan 2, 2009 at 5:32:51 pm

Understand the frustration. I tried the EX convert to MXF with clip browser but can only access the 500mb 'general' folder with them. Yet with XDCam PDW-330/350 formatted discs I can back-up 1440 x 1080 35mbit MXF files with no problem and in doing so access the full extent of the 'clips' folder on the discs. I can archive finished 1440 x 1080 MXF edited files to disc no problem. It must be something to do with the PDW files being 1440 x 1080.

Hope they come out with the unlimited 'general' folder firmware/software sooner than later with the ability to back-up the 1920 x 1080 MXF files. Amazes me that this capability was around from the start with the PDW 'clip' folder files but wasn't implemented for EX with the release of the EX-1 when it was screamingly obvious that this was going to be an ideal EX-1/3 back-up/archive workflow.

Here's hoping!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]