FORUMS: list search recent posts

50p Ex1 footage to Final Cut 25fps timeline

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro de la Fuente
50p Ex1 footage to Final Cut 25fps timeline
on Dec 14, 2008 at 12:51:08 pm

Hey guys, just trying to use some 50p footage I shot expecting to get the real slow motion result but FCP is reading it as if it was normal speed, even thought I shot it at 50p. I am used to work with th Panasonic HVX200 and the slo mo 50p process has no steps and works just dragging the clip into the timeline, the Sony apparently doesnt work like that. I would really appreciate if someone could share this info.

Thanks a lot,
Pedro de la Fuente

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: 50p Ex1 footage to Final Cut 25fps timeline
on Dec 14, 2008 at 4:10:06 pm

720p50 is normal speed (for shooting sports for example). 720p25/50 is slow. You must be in what Sony calls Quick/Slow (Undercrank/Overcrank) mode.

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Dec 14, 2008 at 4:29:03 pm

Thanks Craig, although I still managed to use this shots I did with 50p setting (exported as individual frames - TIFF seq and then re encoded to ProRes422) I believe that the way you telling me is the correct. Think the mistake happens when I assumed that the Sony would work in a similar way of the Panasonic HVX200.

Will look into it.

Thanks,
Pedro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 14, 2008 at 4:46:06 pm

I think you can also change the Time Base in Cinema Tools although I've never needed to do that.
Compressor and Motion's Optical Flow technology might work too. Of course you might just be able to do it in Final Cut Pro but that might look the worst.

Panasonic P2 cameras also have p50 vs 25/50 mode too although I don't know offhand how that's set. Both cameras can shoot 50p as normal speed as it's a common setting.

Return to posts index

Don McVey
on Jul 10, 2010 at 4:51:44 pm

Hi,

If I shoot with an EX1 at 720/25p and 50fps will this give slow motion? If I put this in a 25p FCP timeline will it automatically be slow motion or do I have to do anything with the footage?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 11, 2010 at 12:30:50 am

[Don McVey] "If I shoot with an EX1 at 720/25p and 50fps will this give slow motion?"

If you drop 50p footage into a 25p timeline it will play in real time, the same as if you put interlaced 50i footage into an interlaced 50i timeline. 720p 50 is designed to play back the same way as 50i interlaced: 50 frames a second regardless of whether the frames are interlaced or progressive.

If you drop a piece of 25p into a 50p timeline there is no slow motion unless you add a slow-mo effect. Try it for yourself. The only way to get slo-mo is to do it in-camera by using the EX1's "S and Q" recording function. This feature is more commonly known as over and under crank.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]