FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDcam in Vegas

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
XDcam in Vegas
on Dec 12, 2008 at 7:26:31 am

I've been using XDcam (both HD and EX) pretty efficiently on the Mac in FCS for a while now but would like to try cutting in Vegas.

I'm currently building a high specced laptop to do this (quadcore, Vista64 etc) and wondered how the workflow would be different.

For instance will I need XDcam Transfer? and will it work in Vista64? And how about XdcamEX clip browser?

I've recently upgraded my Vegas to 8.1 (the 64bit version) and am already in trouble as I cannot get the XDcam tab to show despite activating it in preferences. Although I didn't use it much I do remember getting it working in a previous version of Vegas under XP.

Thanks to all the gurus here for any help

Alan

Return to posts index

Perrone Ford
Re: XDcam in Vegas
on Dec 14, 2008 at 1:51:03 am

I don't cut XDCamHD, but do with XDCam EX in both Vegas 8.1 and 8.0b and 8.0c.

My workflow is

Shoot > Clipbrowser export MXF > Open clips in Vegas

From there, it's editing as with any other kind of file. If I need to do significant correction I will transcode the footage to something I can push around, like Cineform, or a 10 bit codec. Then I cut, color correct, grade, effect, and render to my master format. Once the master is made, I offload it, and then cut my deliverables. Usually web based mp4 or DVD.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
Re: XDcam in Vegas
on Dec 17, 2008 at 2:00:08 pm

Thanks Perrone,

That's helpful, what options do I have for useful transcode to more edit-friendly codecs on the PC? On the Mac I generally use ProRes.

Uncompressed would be too resorce hungry for me I think. And what about transcoding time? Can this be reasonably fast? I know nothing about Cineform is that just a codec or a hardware/codec combo?

Thanks for the info.

Alan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]