FORUMS: list search recent posts

sony ex-1 standard def conversion

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve sullivan
sony ex-1 standard def conversion
on Dec 11, 2008 at 11:47:53 pm

aloha
one of our stations here on the islands broadcasts in SD. i have a shoot coming up and i am trying to decide whether i should shoot on our sony ex-1, 720p and then downconvert to sd. or should i use our sony betacam sp 600 for the shoot. does anyone know of any comparisons i can refer to?? the only reason i would shoot the ex-1 at 720p is our other HD station broadcasts in 720p. any comments or suggestion would be appreciated.
aloha
steve sullivan

stevenmaui

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: sony ex-1 standard def conversion
on Dec 12, 2008 at 12:25:04 am

I've done downconverts for broadcast (TV Spots) from the EX in Final Cut Pro.
You can edit HD and then downconvert.
You can create your "destination" SD timeline and edit in SD. That gives you the ability to do fake dolly like moves do the difference in frame size. You'll also need to think about letter box or centercrop.

Another way to go (haven't tried this) is do the downconvert out of the SDI from the camera.

In my case, the local stations (even the HD stations) still only take SD spot delivery but the client is also doing digital signage advertising at 720p.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 12, 2008 at 12:25:32 am

[steve sullivan] "the only reason i would shoot the ex-1 at 720p is our other HD station broadcasts in 720p."

If you're sure that your sister station would be broadcasting what you're going to be shooting then go with the EX and 720p. If it was up to me I'd shoot HD anyway to future proof your projects and edit down-converted copies as needed.

- Don

Return to posts index

steve sullivan
on Dec 12, 2008 at 1:10:23 am

i agree with you about future proofing segments. my real question is the quality difference between shooting and cutting straight on beta sp as opposed to doing the down convert. which picture will have higher quality? our high def station will not be using this segment.

stevenmaui

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Sony BETACAM SP600 or Down Converted EX1? Which Looks Better?
on Dec 12, 2008 at 2:56:16 am

Hi Steve,

Since I've never used or don't have access to BETACAM footage to compare with footage down converted from the EX you'll have to wait until someone who has experience looking at both pictures side by side to help you make your decision. I've changed the subject title to reflect your request.

- Don

Return to posts index

steve sullivan
Re: Sony BETACAM SP600 or Down Converted EX1? Which Looks Better?
on Dec 12, 2008 at 6:42:21 pm

mahalo don,
i am going to try to get a comparison done today. i will share my results.
aloha
steve

stevenmaui

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]