FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconverting MXF files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Cadieux
Downconverting MXF files
on Dec 10, 2008 at 8:38:28 pm

Hello,

I use the EX1. I am working on a project that was originally going ot be edited in HD, but not due to budget cut-backs is going to be cut in SD. I converted all of the mpeg4 raw footage into mxf files to edit in PP CS3. Not ever having SD in mind, I deleted the mpeg4 files and backed up the mxf files as data on DVDs. Because of that, I can no longer use the Sony clip browsing software to downconvert for me. So, I am bringing the mxf files into an SD project, scaling them down, and re-exporting them as a letterboxed AVI. The process is taking FOREVER. I have 5 hours of raw footage to convert. Is there any other faster way to do this downconversion?

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Downconverting MXF files
on Dec 10, 2008 at 8:52:31 pm

This is one of those sad moments where cheaper is actually more expensive in the long run. Why not get the upgrade to CS4 and just edit MXF natively?

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Dec 10, 2008 at 9:03:46 pm

Maybe I should have explained this better. Let me give some background info. I work for an ad agency. Our system there is too old and slow to edit HD. I have little say in how much money is spent on upgrades there (but if you ask me, any production company that hasn't gotten on-board with HD is doomed to failure). I also run a freelance business. My system here (at home) is plenty fast enough to edit HD. I have the upgrade to CS3 which makes it able to edit XDCAM natively no problem.

Originally, this project was going to be cut on my home system in HD. Once the budget cut hit with the client, they (the client) wanted it delivered in SD. My bosses then decided to have the footage downconverted so that it could be edited there (at my full time job), rather than here (at my freelance location). Editing it there makes it easier for the client to sit in on edit sessions (since my home office is 20 miles away from most of our clients). That's the reason why they need it in SD. If it were up to me, I'd be editing in XDCAM from home.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 10, 2008 at 11:59:21 pm

well let's see I can't think of a faster way to do it than the way you're doing it now manually- I'm assuming at your home system. Not much else you can do without the right software. I'd bring this up with the powers though- that without the right gear and upgrades the project cannot really be completed. I kinda hate it when a company trades hard upgrade costs for employee time- especially when you're being paid by project rather than by the hour.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Keslick
on Dec 11, 2008 at 6:47:55 pm

For downconverting mxf HD to SD you may want to check out DVFilm Maker. In it's advanced options you can downres to any size you choose. It also allows you to batch process clips. There is a free demo for you to try out. Plus 25% off for xmas.

Hope this is helpful,
Dave

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on Dec 11, 2008 at 6:07:12 pm

What about using After Effects to down convert?
Que them up and set it off at night.
Also why letter box and not Wide screen SD?

Return to posts index

Aaron Cadieux
on Dec 12, 2008 at 3:49:11 pm

We did letterbox because this is going to be shown on construction locations on consumer 4x3 televisions. Widescreen would just be letterboxed on them anyway.

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Dec 16, 2008 at 4:04:38 pm

A Quick work around which will last for two weeks, unless you buy it! Download the trial version of Edius 5.0 which has full support for EX files.

Bang your files on the timeline and use 'export' and choose what file flavor you want on export. Anything from uncompressed to DV. Canopus Edius' codec engine is about the fastest software converter around, better than real-time on a reasonable PC. It will also give you good conversion results.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]