FORUMS: list search recent posts

"simple" export question - long GOP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Nelson
"simple" export question - long GOP
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:30:43 pm

This should have a simple answer. I'm working in Avid MC Mojo with XDCAM footage. When working in SD with long-form projects, I'd export using a QT ref and do all of my compressions off that in Squeeze, and also work off that in After Effects. Due to the long GOP format of XDCAM HD MXFs however, I can't export a QT ref, I have to export a QT movie. If I want to keep good quality size on a 1/2 hour video, the file size is quite giant. Any ideas for keeping the file size down, or somehow converting the LONG GOP into something QT reference-friendly?

Thanks.

Tom

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: "simple" export question - long GOP
on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:11:23 pm

Go with ProRes if you're on a Mac or DNxHd (or whatever it's called) if you're on a PC. Not really a way around big files when you're working HD ultimately. I'd add another big drive for the renders. These days a good FW800 500GB or 1TB can be had for under $500.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:39:21 pm

Thanks, Noah. I wish I was working on a Mac - I'm unfortunately on a PC, and when I try to export using the DNxHD codec, it defaults to medium quality and doesn't let me change it in the dialogue box. I've tried just dealing with that compression, but it's noticably worse than uncompressed.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 10, 2008 at 8:50:52 pm

Well I'm not super familiar with that variant of Avid on a PC but I'd suggest a query on the Avid forum to find out the lossy HD compression codec options available to you. There's always uncompressed and you get the extra hard drive.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]