FORUMS: list search recent posts

F330 Battery Connector Replacement

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Moore
F330 Battery Connector Replacement
on Dec 10, 2008 at 2:55:59 pm

I sent our F330 into Sony for an LCD repair and got an estimate back saying they need to replace the V Mount battery connector. We use BP-GL95 batteries and have never had a problem with them but the engineer says my connector is the old type and they have issues with them. He said it's not covered under warranty and would not give me any indication as to what the problem was or how often it occurred. Has anyone had a similar problem? I don't want to be stuck in the field with a faulty connector but it seems that if this is a known issue, Sony should pay for it.

Andy Moore
Videographer/Editor
Sony PDW-F330L
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: F330 Battery Connector Replacement
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:46:54 pm

Andy,

I recently had occasion to send in a PDW510 for software upgrade and Sony replaced the V-groove mount under warranty. You're story reveals a weakness in the Sony communication system, such that service bulletins are a subscription service for which you must pay. At some point, maybe within your one year warranty, the battery bracket replacement was announced there. Only the biggest of the full service dealers will have the infrastructure to alert their fleet of the upgrade, everyone else is on their own. In this case, I'm sure if you persist and/or ask to speak with the product manager or service manager, you'll discover the reason(s) for the hardware change. In any event, I'd recommend that you do it; power issues can not only ruin your shoot but can have disastrous effect on the camera.

JS

Return to posts index

Andy Moore
on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:04:39 pm

Thanks for your reply John. I'm going to get it replaced, it just seemed pretty shady how the engineer was being very reluctant to give me info about what was wrong.

Andy

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Dec 11, 2008 at 9:45:24 pm

[Andy Moore] "I'm going to get it replaced, it just seemed pretty shady how the engineer was being very reluctant to give me info about what was wrong"

Hmmmm..... I have to agree with you. BUT... I would suggest that you get with your VAR and talk to them about this. It could have been avoided and wouldn't have cost you anything.

By the way, the issue is the connector where the battery meets the bottom pin connection. Its made of cheap plastic and will break apart. Ours did this only a couple months into having the camera so warranty did cover this issue. BUT we did have to go round and round with Sony until we got someone to admit there was a problem with this connector.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]