FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 footage for fcp 5 on a G5

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Raizman
EX1 footage for fcp 5 on a G5
on Dec 8, 2008 at 1:36:38 am

I shot some footage for a client on my ex1 at 1080p24 VBR. He wants to edit the footage on a G5 Mac with fcp 5. I gave him the raw files after the shoot but he hasn't been able to use the Sony XDCAM transfer software because it doesn't run on pre-Intel macs and fcp 5 can't handle HD files.

He is asking me to convert the files into a format that he can use with fcp 5.

I'm not familiar with fcp 5 or the capabilities of a G5 (I've got fcp 6 running on a quad-core Intel Mac Pro). Can anyone suggest the best route to go to get him the files in the highest quality that he will be able to edit on his setup. His goal is to output the footage on a DVD.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX1 footage for fcp 5 on a G5
on Dec 8, 2008 at 1:57:48 am

I believe you will need to first use the XD Cam Transfer and convert the raw to .mov, then download Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com) and try converting to DVC Pro HD.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dave Raizman
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:19:40 am

Converting the files from raw to .mov sounds good. Can fcp5 handle dvcpro HD files? I thought the only hd files fcp5 can handle are hdv files. Is dvcpro HD considered the highest quality file format that fcp5 can handle?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Raizman
Springboard Media
springboardhd.com
802-279-6596

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:28:15 am

I believe both versions of FCP5 can edit DVC Pro HD, this isn't the very best FCP5 can edit but I wouldn't think your client could edit uncompressed since you originated with XD cam. I suggested DVC Pro because it is a comparable compressed HD codec that works in FCP5. I hope it works for you.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:05:42 pm

Dave, the Sony Transfer tool runs on my Pre Intel Mac G5, it's the Clip Browser that needs the new Macs.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:46:13 pm

OOpps, I haven't worked with FCP5 in a very long time so yes I missed this,

Thanks Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]