FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can XDCAM export in FCP do this for me....?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baz Leffler
Can XDCAM export in FCP do this for me....?
on Dec 7, 2008 at 5:23:35 am

I have a requirement where I have to edit a mix of HDV and EX1 content on location and turn it around to playout into a live broadcast.

What I would like to do is export back to the SxS card, place the SxS card in the EX1 camera and then play that out of the HD-SDI connector.

I have no problems doing the editing etc and I have no problems playing SxS media out the HD-SDI.

The problem I am having is that the file created from FCP does not get recognised by the camera OR the 'XDCam transfer' software. Am I missing something here or am I misreading what XDCAM EX export is all about?

I am currently considering Matrox MXO2 or AJA ioHD to get around the problem but I already have all the other stuff and would like to save the $2000+ it would cost me to achive this.

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Can XDCAM export in FCP do this for me....?
on Dec 8, 2008 at 5:37:09 am

Interesting as the latest Xd Cam Transfer 2.8 is said to allow for export back to SxS. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/861467#861467
I don't know how this works but it could be what you are looking for.

However another solution is the Flash XDR, from Convergent Design.
http://www.convergent-design.com/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Dec 8, 2008 at 6:32:29 am

I read that thread and it doesn't discuss the exporting back out of the camera; just to the SxS card.

And the Flash XDR from Convergent Design is an SDI to memory card recorder - I want to go SxS OUT of the camera to a deck and/or live.

Baz

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:38:07 pm

"What I would like to do is export back to the SxS card, place the SxS card in the EX1 camera and then play that out of the HD-SDI connector."

"And the Flash XDR from Convergent Design is an SDI to memory card recorder - I want to go SxS OUT of the camera to a deck and/or live."

What are you exporting SDI to? The Flash XDR does what you want the XD Cam system to do, you could even use the XDR to record the footage, then mount the cards using the CF -firewire readers and edit right from the cards, lay the sequence on the card and pop it back into the recorder and hit play. Many news stations are purchasing them for this reason and taking advantage of the ASI to microwave to piece.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Dec 8, 2008 at 2:24:03 pm

Alister Chapman pointed out on that other forum one problem you might be encountering: if you export direct to a completely blank SxS card from Final Cut Pro's File > Export > Sony XDCAM the camera sometimes doesn't pick up the new clip. He suggests recording a very short clip with the camera first so it makes the necessary BPAV folder and XML files. If you now export, then the camera should ask you to Restore Media and find the new clip quite happily.

Apparently, you could also use Clip Browser after having exported to .MP4 from FCP to your hard drive to put the clip onto an SxS card, but if the above works, there's no reason to bother with Clip Browser.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Dec 9, 2008 at 1:33:54 am

OK Thanks I got it to work...

so for those who need to know this is what I did...

Export the FCP timeline to the required XDCAM EX format (VBR) directly to the SxS card.

Place the card back in the camera go to the setup menu and select -

OTHERS > CLIP > UPDATE > MEDIA and choose the SxS card that has the exported sequence.

Then it's all good! It will show up in thumbnails on the camera as well as the XDCAM transfer software on the puter.

Now I am good to go to do location editing and network feed playouts!

Baz

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Dec 10, 2008 at 9:29:49 am

Great! Just remember (as mentioned in other threads) that the SxS cards won't accept MP4 files larger than 4 GB so you shouldn't export anything for your workflow longer than about 15 minutes.

Let us know how it goes!

Return to posts index

Steven Weber
on May 24, 2009 at 2:30:51 am

Hey man I am having the same problem and I followed your instructions and it did not work for me. I exported onto the SxS with XDCAM EX 1080i30 and when I tried to restore it in the EX3, it still did not recognize the file.

Have any solutions?

The War at Home-CNN

The War at Home American Legion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]