FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is "export to xdcam" the holy grail of archiving?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis O'Keefe
Is "export to xdcam" the holy grail of archiving?
on Dec 4, 2008 at 3:54:42 pm

Since the browser now will do the EX to XDCAM conversion, is it possible to offload BPAV files to xdcam discs with the PDW-U1 drive? I recall there was a firmware issue with the drive as well as the conversion problems.
Forgive me if I missed something already posted, I still apparently have an analog brain.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Is "export to xdcam" the holy grail of archiving?
on Dec 4, 2008 at 4:08:24 pm

I too seek the Grail. It was one reason why I chose the XDCAM EX route. Sadly, I have a PDW-U1 paperweight on my desk right now; I didn't know that the software to use it was still vaporware. I want to use the discs as data discs for backups of projects and raw clips, an idea I got from a pre-release review of the PDW-U1 when I was researching XDCAM EX for possible purchase.

Once I got my drive and realized it wouldn't work the way I had hoped, I emailed Sony to ask about the capabilities I'd expected, and got the following response:

Hi Clint-

It's actually going to require a combination of U1 firmware and an updated driver for the Mac, both of which are still a few months away.
The driver will enable you to write MXFs back to the disc. The firmware will enable you to expand the 'General' area up to the remaining capacity of the disc (currently it's locked at 500 MB). We'll have an announcement on the website when the driver is available, or you can feel free to check in with us in a month or two.

I got that response a couple of weeks ago. Since then they've released the new XDCAM Transfer (2.8) that enables write-back to the cards, from what I've read. I feel comfortable at this point taking Sony at their word, that they're working on opening up new possibilities in the XDCAM architecture such as making my drive work.

I don't know much about the disc-based XDCAM gear, because it's out of our price range, but I was under the impression that it was not 1920x1080, but akin to HDV dimensions. I don't know if that's the case nowadays, or if that is how footage would be written back to the PDW-U1. If that's the case, I'm even more certain I'd rather use the discs as robust data media, keeping my original HQ material intact.

I wish I'd waited on my PDW-U1 purchase, though; its warranty clock is ticking even though it's sitting unused, and I don't want to pay the 15% restocking fee to send it back and get a new one once the proper drivers and firmware are released. Despite that downside, I still remain optimistic. Archiving XDCAM footage to these durable cartridges truly is the holy grail of workflow for me.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Dec 4, 2008 at 5:06:43 pm

The new PDW-700 50 Mb 4:2:2 camera is 1920x1080. The 18/35 Mb 4:2:0 cameras are 1440x1080.

Ray

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Dec 4, 2008 at 10:53:52 pm

Before we go off in too many directions, the 700 and the EX cams are 1920 x 1080. The 350, 355 are indeed 1440x1080.
But the question remains, when can we archive to disc? XDcam disc are discs after all, if they make the drive work like an old iomega zip I'll buy one tomrrow.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 5, 2008 at 12:35:34 am

[Denis O'Keefe] "But the question remains, when can we archive to disc?"

When Sony announces the PDW-U1 firmware update, I guess. Right now, if you want to archive your EX or PDW-700 footage to XDCAM Disc with the PDW-U1 you'll have to down convert the footage to 1440X1080 because that's the highest resolution the writer will accept at the moment. If you're a Windows PC user and a 350 or 355 owner then you've always been able to archive with the U1.

The future firmware we're all waiting for will enable full raster archiving plus general files (pictures, text, etc.) to be written to XDCAM Disc with few, if any, limitations. There are lots of folks with PDW-U1 drives sitting idle and waiting for the update. Especially those editing on a Mac.

I'm with you, Denis. As soon as the updates are released I'll be in the lineup for the U1.

- Don

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Dec 6, 2008 at 9:01:13 am

What are the pros and cons to archive (in the near future) on XDCAM disks compared to Blu-ray? Speed, ease, cost? I suspect XDCAM is more expensive ...

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 6, 2008 at 5:39:06 pm

Hi Sverker,

For some time now Sony has been pushing the idea that XDCAM discs are very reliable with a projected shelf life of at least 50 years. That fact alone would push me in the direction of archiving on XDCAM media instead of Blu-ray. XDCAM discs are substantially more expensive, so it all depends on the importance you attach to the material you want to archive. I would suspect that the PDW-U1 reader/writer would be quite easy to use and relatively fast, but until I have one that works with Apple computers this is just a guess.

- Don

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Dec 6, 2008 at 6:50:53 pm

Don,

I couldn't agree with you more! XD Media is more expensive than Blu-ray discs. I've gotten BR's for about $14 for $25 GB. An XD disc of 23GB is about $24. The 50gb XD media is nearly THREE TIMES that amount at about $62.

I think you have the right idea... what's the price you put on that original media? One thing to consider is that the XD media comes in a "cartridge" that unless you go intentionally poking around in the case/housing, it's nearly impossible to scratch/damage the discs... How many of us out there have "burned discs" and then put them on top of something to "label" later or archive later, only to scratch because you've moved it around a few times... Just something to consider.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F350/700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Dec 8, 2008 at 1:32:17 pm

Hi, Don,

In this forum I have told about quite a lot of lost footage, due to poor DVD-media. After a long e-mail correspondens with the seller, I got the same number of discs with good media (Verbatim DVD-DL). So I know the importance of good archive media.

The XDCAM disks is in a cartrige. Is that the only difference to Blu-ray disks? Or is the disk itself of a superior quality?

I have read a BD-test which said that BD is very resistant to scratches.

Or is it the XDCAM burner much better than a Blu-ray burner?

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Dec 8, 2008 at 9:03:06 pm

"In this forum I have told about quite a lot of lost footage, due to poor DVD-media. After a long e-mail correspondens with the seller, I got the same number of discs with good media (Verbatim DVD-DL). So I know the importance of good archive media."

Then you have to take into consideration other factors, such as "how often are these discs going to be pulled from the archive to review footage by people who set discs on the countertop instead of in their cases?" :-) If your non-tech-savvy office staff will be handling your company's archive material, get something in as bulletproof a cartridge as physics will allow.

Cf

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Dec 9, 2008 at 11:41:34 am

If your non-tech-savvy office staff will be handling your company's archive material, get something in as bulletproof a cartridge as physics will allow. Clint, you are right, I didn´t think of that since I am the only one handling the media in this two-person company. But the idea of the business growing makes your remark valid indeed.

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 9, 2008 at 8:54:09 pm

[Sverker Hahn] "The XDCAM disks is in a cartrige. Is that the only difference to Blu-ray disks? Or is the disk itself of a superior quality? "

These are questions I can't answer because I haven't had the time to do enough research. Sony will most likely tell you that the XDCAM discs themselves will be more robust than BD-R discs that probably use a dye process to retain the information. I would suspect that just like DVD-R media, 3rd party BD-R discs are made with varying degrees of quality and down the road there will be trouble with dealing with knock-offs as well. My thinking is that if you buy an XDCAM disc it's going to come in its own protective cartridge and the actual disc will not be anything that Sony feels is inferior in quality. Their reputation is riding on it.

[Sverker Hahn] "Or is it the XDCAM burner much better than a Blu-ray burner? "

Can't answer that one, either. Sorry. But if the recent XDCAM disc torture tests are any indication and if Sony is claiming a 50 plus year life span then I'm going with the XDCAM discs. If you go with BD-R archiving then buy the best ones you can find. If Taiyo Yuden makes BD-R discs then get those.

- Don

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Curt Pair
on Dec 6, 2008 at 2:26:50 am

Hey there, I'm a Sony ICE Team member, and I do indeed archive onto XD media! I have an F70 deck, a PDW-U1, and a 1500HD. All three will allow you to "write back" and archive media shot or transcoded to the mxf format.

In fact, I have taken digiBeta material and either dubbed it to IMX 50 file format or upconverted it to HD and saved that onto discs too! I'll be honest and take it a step farther: I have indeed taken Beta, DV, DVCam, DVC Pro, and TIVO material and saved them onto XD discs by either recording straight into a deck or by first capturing the material into my NLE, editing appropriately, and saving/exporting as an .mxf file.

You cannot mix SD and HD files on the same disc.

There are some "rules" for which files can coexist on a disc:

For SD: (MPEG IMX and DVCAM):

Different video standards must be on different discs: 525 / 625 line (ie NTSC / PAL)

The different flavors must be on different discs:

30 Mbps, 8 ch - 16-bit audio
30 Mbps, 4 ch - 24-bit audio

40 Mbps, 8 ch - 16-bit audio
40 Mbps, 4 ch - 24-bit audio

50 Mbps, 8 ch - 16-bit audio
50 Mbps, 4 ch - 24-bit audio

DVCAM, 4 ch - 16 bit audio

For HD:

XDCAM HD 4:2:0

a. 59.94i, 30p - 18/25/35 Mbps
b. 50i, 25p - 18/25/35 Mbps
c. 23.98p - 18/25/35 Mbps
d. DVCAM - 525 line
e. DVCAM - 625 line

Currently I edit my files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, export my timeline out as an mxf file and copy to a new disc, by placing my mxf file into the clip folder of the disc in which I'd like to master material. I also copy my project files, graphics, music, fonts etc., and paste them into the "GENERAL" folder on my XD Cam Media for BOTH my original source/raw material disc and my edited master disc (currently this is limited to 500Mb, but will soon open up to the entire disc size of 23Gb or 50GB!). This way if I need to re-build or change something in my edited program I have the info necessary to perform that action on BOTH my archived master and my archived raw footage XD Cam HD discs.

If you were referring to "archive" as a means of storing data other than that originating as an mxf file or being transcoded to an mxf file, as mentioned in the other posting, then that gentleman is correct, we're "almost there..." and when it happens it will first happen for the PC.

A person in Sony's POSC recently sent me the following email: "GENERAL folder storage update is on the way but will first be released for the pdhd1500, then the U1, then possibly the F75 and other phase 2 machines. ETA is sketchy but it should happen within the next few months." (note: other phase two machines are F70/F30)

I hope this helps in clearing up your questions and concerns, if not feel free to contact me directly.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Dec 7, 2008 at 3:32:50 pm

It sounds like the last missing link is the firmware for the U1 that will open the "general" folder.
I really want to do is put 50 gigs of BPAV files ( and a copy of the browser and transfer software)on an XD disc and file it away for the future.
Which will raise the next question - is the unadulterated BPAV written to a data disc the best bet for long term archive? I suspect it is the best bet we have.
An old kinescope setup, a reel of film and a cool dry space would really insure a record that will last a hundred years, and is sounding more and more like a back to the future business plan

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Dec 7, 2008 at 5:54:53 pm

Denis,

I would DEFINITELY copy the entire BPAV folder to the disc... however, the work-flow I'd suggest is to place that entire folder into an identifying folder: 12/5/08, SmithInterviews, DocProject, what have you so you can "tell" what it is before you have to open everything.

The difference between film and the xd:

check this out! This dude is nuts! Seriously, Alister is certifiable... he's done others too, like washing machines, dish washers and the like... In any event, I don't think you could do this with film...

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Dec 8, 2008 at 1:55:49 pm

Alister´s tests are so nice to watch.

I have the SxS cards. I tested it, unvolontarily, in brackish water. After putting it in distilled water and drying, it is working well. Nothing lost.

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Justin Gaar
on Mar 3, 2009 at 9:42:17 pm

Is there a tutorial anywhere for archiving in this way? I've got a PDW-F75, some XDCams and some EX-1s and would love to use the deck to archive our EX footage and projects. I've been unable to find anything other than this pending firmware update and I havent been able to figure out how to archive with our current equipment. So, if there is a tutorial on this process it would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to feel like it takes a Sony engineer to engineer Sony's equipment.

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 3, 2009 at 10:12:40 pm

Justin,

Like you, I have an F350 camera and an EX1 as a second camera. Many of our clients like to intercut the material from both. We've found they just want a single media type to archive and use in the post process. So, I take all of our EX1 clips and put them onto XD Cam HD, optical discs.

You are "almost" ready to archive your EX 1 footage to XD Cam discs! You may need one more product: Main Concept's "Conversion Pack 2" plug in for Sony's Clip Browser 2.0 software. I know, it's like $550, but worth every penny. It's made us look like rock stars to our clients.

I use this combo all the time and it works great for me and my clients love the results.

After you install the plug in, you'll be able to view and select clips on SCB2, then right click and select convert to MXF. Here you have several options, like 420, 422, AAF, go to Avid, etc. I typically select 420, and then I make sure the frame rate, frequency rate, and quality match the XD Cam HD shot footage (Ex: 23.98p, 1080,35Mbps). Select the location you'd like to "store" the newly transferred files and hit ok.

Then I take those transcoded MXF files, copy them and paste them into the "CLIP" folder of an F75, F70 or PDW-U1 drive in FAM mode connected to my computer with a formatted XD optical disc inserted.

When that copy has occurred you'll have proxy files created for you in the SUB CLIP folder as well.

YOU NEED TO KNOW: even if you shot the material with the EX1 @ 1920 x 1080, when you transcode, those clips will now be 1440 x 1080. At least they were oversampled to begin with. They will NOT be able to go back to their original state without quality loss (1920 x 1080). HOWEVER, if you are cutting in a project of 1440 x 1080 ANYWAY for the XD footage, this will NOT be a problem.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 3, 2009 at 10:19:31 pm

Justin,

I should have said this method will keep your "structure" of your clips in tact too! The "new" xd clips will look like the EX clips in regards to clip length, TC, name, etc. You've just changed the format.

The OTHER way I've done this for clients, and they didn't like it is to go out of the HDSDI on the right side of the EX1 and stream that signal into the input HDSDI on the F75. Then you just put in a disc and start recording.

The difference between the two methods: One will keep clips "clipped out" separately, similar to the EX 1 card structure and the the other is one long, single clip.

My client, America's Most Wanted tried the long, single clip method and hated it... EVERY shot was the same clip name which was confusing for the log process and cutting process. It was too time consuming for them to sub clip everything out... so, they LOVE the my "new" way of using SCB2 and the Main Concept plug in. It looks the same as it did "in" the EX... everything is separate.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Justin Gaar
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:10:41 pm

Appreciate the info! I'm really looking for a sound archival method for EX footage. I actually shoot very little with the PDW-F355, not a fan of it really at all, but, I love the EX-1. Hard drives tend to fill up quick when you shoot pretty regularly on an EX-1! Archiving EX footage has become a very large concern and Sony representatives made it seem as if the XDCam disc was a viable option. I'm not willing to lose resolution in the transcode and this $16,000 deck doesn't really make me want to spend $550 more dollars to do that, so I guess my best option is to wait for the firmware update in April-ish. From what I understand, it will allow for any file to be written to the disc, correct? When that update comes out will it take a while to trickle down to the different devices? Will a Mac update be required as well?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 4, 2009 at 7:55:55 pm

[Justin Gaar] "so I guess my best option is to wait for the firmware update in April-ish."

The PDW-U1 firmware update was just announced the other day and is available now:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/support.htm

Look for this download link at the bottom of the page:

PDW-U1 Utility Version 2.1 For Windows and Mac

[Justin Gaar] "From what I understand, it will allow for any file to be written to the disc, correct?"

Correct. Before the update there was a 500 Mbyte limit for writing files to an XDCAM disc that were not XDCAM-type files. With the new update you can (apparently) use the whole disc as a repository for any file type: text files, graphics files, etc. This is huge for those who wish to use XDCAM discs to archive media for an entire project using the PDW-U1 reader/writer.

A word of caution: the quote below is from the sony web site description of what XDCAM formats are supported by the new firmware update:

"The PDW-U1 directly supports all codecs, resolutions and frame rates available in the Sony XDCAM Optical Disc family including SD DVCAM 25 Mbps, SD MPEG IMX 30, 40, 50Mbps, HD 420 25Mbps, HD 420 35Mbps and HD 422 50Mbps."

The XDCAM EX formats don't seem to be listed, I'm assuming because they are not part of the XDCAM Optical Disc family. Therefore it still may be required that the EX HQ square pixel 1920x1080 recording formats need to be converted to the Anamorphic 1440x1080 frame size before the files can be written to XDCAM disc, which means a resolution loss that can't be regained after the fact.

I'm not sure if this is still the case but you would be well advised to research this before spending $3000.00 plus dollars USD on the PDW-U1.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:12:55 pm

I thought what they were doing (going to do?) was open up the XDCAM Disc to file capacity data storage. Basically opening up the 500MB limit. If they've done that then it doesn't need to support the codec specifically as long as it can handle it as a data file.

Of course those 16GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC cards are getting close to the XDCAM Disc price range.

Given that FCP can now go back to XDCAM EX MP4, you could conceivably go back to the SDHC card and hand the edit master off if someone were taking into an Avid or some other beast for finishing.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:33:50 pm

[Craig Seeman] "If they've done that then it doesn't need to support the codec specifically as long as it can handle it as a data file. "

True enough and I hope that's exactly what they've done. But it does seem strange that they'd list all the various XDCAM optical disc formats that are supported if any file can now be written to XDCAM Disc via the PDW-U1. Knowing me however, I'm probably reading too much into this and 1920x1080 EX formats will now be easily written to the disc.

I think Steve Wargo has a PDW-U1 paperweight sitting on his desk. Perhaps he'll do a little test for us (nudge nudge-wink wink-say no more)

Shades of Monty Python.

- Don

Return to posts index

Justin Gaar
on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:36:18 pm

Would the same firmware update not be available for the PDW-F75? And if they open up the general folder wouldn't I be able to just copy a BPAV folder over instead of worrying about codecs?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 4, 2009 at 8:49:50 pm

[Justin Gaar] "And if they open up the general folder wouldn't I be able to just copy a BPAV folder over instead of worrying about codecs?"

Well, you'd think so. That seems the most logical train of thought. Someone's going to have to take the plunge and do a test. Or if anyone has Juan Martinez's phone number handy..........

- Don

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
on Mar 5, 2009 at 12:55:35 am

Hi all!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... due to my affiliation with Sony, as a member of their "ICE Team..." I made some calls after reviewing some of the thread postings today. To be honest, I was a little upset with the "updates" not being shared with the ICE Team before they hit the web!

After that call, I feel I need to set the record straight! Several postings in this thread are INCORRECT! First of all, Mac users, can now officially "write back" to the U1 drive. This was an APPLE hold up, not a Sony hold up. Mac has now allowed this to happen on their systems. I guess they finally got smart and jumped on the bandwagon! The "General folder" is still limited to the 500 MB file size. This won't change until the summer.

I'm posting the official response from Sony in this thread:

"Curt,

The User Data write back is not yet available. Probably June timeframe.

The VFAM and MAC-based write back have just been released, and available at the http://www.sony.com/xdcamhd site. The specific link is at https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software.aspx?model=pdwu1

(the latest thing is the version 2.1 driver for the U1 now supports 50Mb/s files at 720p.

The Vista 64 FAM drivers have been completed, and we’re waiting from certification from Microsoft. That’ll probably be until June, too. Everything will be Vista 64, no XP 64 support for anything.

The VFAM drivers for the U1 have not been developed yet, and that’ll probably be later than June. Point being, that once Vista 64 is enabled, all decks and cameras will work, but NOT the U1. This probably isn’t so good, but that’s the current situation."

So for those hoping to use the U1 to EXCLUSIVELY write files into the General folder of an optical disc, this is a sad announcement. This will apparently work with all XD cameras, F70s, F75s and 1500HD decks, but will not work with the U1.

I hope this clears up any confusion running around out there!

Curt

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 5, 2009 at 2:44:00 am

Thanks Curt

Return to posts index

Justin Gaar
on Mar 5, 2009 at 10:33:49 pm

Ok, so what I've deduced is that in the summer the general folder will be opened up by a firmware update on the PDW-F75 allowing any data to be archived to the full disc capacity. Is that correct? Will there still be a required Mac driver or is that specifically for the U1?

Thank you so much for the information, it has really helped to clear this issue up.

Return to posts index

Justin Gaar
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:11:00 pm

So, I've updated the PDW-F75 so that it is running the newest firmware update. Which was a complete pain, by the way. We didn't have a memory stick, so I had to use the network install option. The instructions given by Sony would not work, so we had to get a company IT guy to create a network between the PC and the deck. We were also required to use Internet Explorer, which is another pain since all of our machines are Apple except the production manager's. Each firmware update was uniform and contained the proper files for network install except the final version 1.96 which was lacking the .pkg file to install through the Internet Explorer based network interface that Sony has created for this completely confusing process. After wasting 35 minutes on the phone with a Sony representative that was, well, rude, he decided that we could possibly copy the .pkg file from the previous update to the newest update and open the install from there. That worked. Now the thing is up to date and when I stick a disc in, it formats it and then appears to open the general folder completely. Appears being the key word. The available space is displayed as the entire disc capacity. I can drag and drop files into the general folder and it begins to write, then finder crashes and the disc unmounts and remounts itself. I get an "error -36". I'm moving small files over - pictures mostly, which should be able to be written given the allotted 500MB which are supposed to be open in the general folder with this update. So, I've gone through all of this and still have no idea why this process doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Justin Gaar
on Mar 11, 2009 at 9:39:52 pm

nevermind. i'm an idiot. the general folder is now open but is limited to the 500mb as stated. now we wait for the firmware update that's coming this summer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]