FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Limit on SxS Card Video Clips??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
Time Limit on SxS Card Video Clips??
on Dec 3, 2008 at 10:02:06 pm

Is there a time limit on the length of clip you can import off an SxS card?

Every time I capture a long clip (25- 30 mins) it will not import to my Mac, even though I have plenty of space. I am shooting 720p

The only way I can get round this is to break the clip up with an in and out point.. I just wondered what the limit is and if there is another workaround

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Time Limit on SxS Card Video Clips??
on Dec 3, 2008 at 10:21:52 pm

I've never run into a time limit when recording EX footage. The longest clip I've ever recorded spanned two 16Gbyte cards and one 8Gbyte card with a total clip time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. That's one complete clip. It also imported into FCP just fine. So conceivably you should be able to record all day, keep swapping the cards in the camera and end up with one clip.

Joseph, to add to Shane's response in the FCP forum, if you set the audio quality to "Lower" in FCP's User Preferences then enable Dynamic RT you should be able to play back your DV Stream without rendering the audio ,depending on the speed of your system. Give it a shot.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:08:30 pm

I've done close to 4 hours imported as a single clip without problem. I was dumping them to my MacBookPro while shooting and when I got back to the studio I hooked the laptop to my MacPro edit system on my Ethernet switch and imported using XDCAM Transfer. The only pain was playing back a 4 hour clip in the FCP Viewer.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:55:20 am

Not to give you mo' of the same, but I recorded multiple presentations of Gov. Bill Ritter, and Senator Ron Wyden and more, and the shortest single clip was over 40 minutes long. And as you're hearing from others, no issues in transferring the clips, or editing in FCP6.

There is a setting in Final Cut Pro that limits capture time, but I don't think it applies to importing XDCAM files into a project. I realize this isn't helping you - I'll look into it. -s

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]