FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Handful of Ex-1/FCP Questions

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Wash
A Handful of Ex-1/FCP Questions
on Nov 30, 2008 at 8:31:55 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the help thus far!

So I just upgraded from Studio 1 to 2 and should now have the proper codecs to support my Ex-1 footage yet I still can't import my footage nor does FCP recognize my Ex-1 as an external device when I hook it up with the I-Link... Why is this? I installed the driver that came on the CD with the camera as well to no avail. Also, if I am typically shooting 1080p24 what "Easy Setup" option should I be using?

Also, I've been trying to manually adjust the shutter speed on the Ex-1 and it will not switch off "auto". I have the "Shutter" switch under the lens to the "on" side and my "full auto" is off, yet on the display it says shutter is "auto" and if I go into the menu and alter the speed, it doesn't affect my image on the display at all... Thoughts???

Thanks again guys, I'm sure these are two of a million questions I'll be bringing your way. Without your expertise, amateurs such as myself would be lost.

Tony

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: A Handful of Ex-1/FCP Questions
on Nov 30, 2008 at 9:58:37 am

[Tony Wash] " I still can't import my footage nor does FCP recognize my Ex-1 as an external device when I hook it up with the I-Link... Why is this?"

Because the iLink connection is not used to transfer files from the EX1, only USB. iLink is used to connect to an HDV camera or deck. Once you've connected camera to computer via USB your SxS Pro card(s) will show up on the desktop like an attached device.

[Tony Wash] "Also, if I am typically shooting 1080p24 what "Easy Setup" option should I be using? "

Choose: "XDCAM EX 1080p 24 VBR" from the Easy Setups menu.

[Tony Wash] "Also, I've been trying to manually adjust the shutter speed on the Ex-1 and it will not switch off "auto"."

If the shutter switch is set to "off" then you'll see "SHT OFF" in the viewfinder down at the bottom. On mine (and I just checked) my shutter switch is set to "on" and my viewfinder is displaying the shutter speed it's currently set to, which is "1/60" at the moment. I don't know what you're doing wrong but the only time the shutter speed should display "SHT:Auto" is when you've got the magic button activated, meaning you've got the FULL AUTO button on the left side of the camera turned on and the green light is lit. If that's the case, no amount of fiddling with the shutter speed in the menu will change anything.

You can also change the shutter speed in the Direct Menu by navigating to the shutter speed in the viewfinder/LCD display with the camera's joystick. This way you don't have to drill down in the menus.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 30, 2008 at 8:17:27 pm

I suggest importing EX footage into FCP using the Log and Transfer utility: http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm

My workflow is I shoot in the field and transfer to a laptop (using the XDCAM EX Clip Browser with the "Perform CRC check after copy" enabled - {under the Tool(T) options} )

I then copy it onto an external HD when back at the office (again using CRC check). I also back up to data DVDs as a safety backup.

If you use the Log and Transfer utility you can set in and out points and name all the clips you are importing into FCP. You can also do this in the Sony Clip Transfer software. But, by using Log and Transfer, when you open a project and the media has been removed from your system, you can use "reconnect media" to import it again. It will ask you to mount the SxS folder it came from. It's like using tapes. This was my big complaint about using the EX-1, how to re-import footage for a re-edit. By using the Log and Transfer utility, it takes care of that.

Hope that's helpful.

David

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 1, 2008 at 12:39:56 am

In the current version of FCP- XDCAM EX is supported directly via the Log and Transfer plugin. You don't even need the XDCAM transfer app from Sony though it's nice for Metadata organization. It's not a simple workflow but it's not difficult to learn. We offer a training disc on this and it's about 3 hours long:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/sony-guidebook-p-39.html

-Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tony Wash
on Dec 1, 2008 at 5:30:19 am

Thanks for the answers thus far, though I still haven't figured any of this out. I've opened Log and Transfer (with my Easy Setup at 1080p24 VBR) and hit the "Add folder" button in the top left corner. When I choose my BPAV folder, it says " 'BPAV' has invalid directory structure." What about this whole process is incorrect because I'm starting to feel like a complete moron?! Can somebody please take a few minutes and write a step by step procedure of how to bring these files into FCP for me? I know it's a pain, but it would make this a million times easier for me. Do the MP4 files need to be converted first or something (I didn't think they did)? God, I wish I wasn't such a visual learner...

...And Noah, I checked out your website and available DVDs last night and will probably pick up the Ex-1 and potentially Color one, but can't spring $75/ea. currently. Maybe in a month or so...

As for my camera and my shutter issue, the camera is not on "Full Auto" mode and I've gone into the settings and changed the shutter speed (ex. 1/250) yet on the display it still says ""SHT: Auto". Also, when I toggle the "shutter" switch on front of the camera it says "Cannot proceed" on the display... What's up with all this? I've got a picture profile on and everything else is set to manual and 1080p24...

It amazes me just how lost I am in the upgrade from SD to HD!

Thanks guys,
Tony

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 1, 2008 at 8:02:06 am

I've not had the opportunity to use Sony's new log and transfer plugin for FCP but if it works the same way as the stand alone Sony Transfer Tool then every copied BPAV folder on your hard drive must be contained within another folder than you can name whatever you want. Once you've reached that folder by navigation within FCP it should see the BPAV folder inside your named folder and import the native .mp4 files, changing them to the MOV format in the process. At least that's the way the Sony Transfer Tool does it and that also can work within FCP just like the log and transfer plugin does.

[Tony Wash] "Also, when I toggle the "shutter" switch on front of the camera it says "Cannot proceed" on the display... What's up with all this?"

Try going in to the menu and finding what's called the "Direct Menu". There are 3 settings for this: All, Part or Off. Change it to "Part" and see if that allows you to now set the shutter switch to "On."

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Wash
on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:38:50 am

Okay guys, so I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my Final Cut Pro 6 to at least 6.0.2? It looks like the plug ins require at least that version to work, am I correct?

As for my camera and this shutter problem, I've had the "Direct Menu" option set to "all" as well as "part" and I can't access the direct menu regardless. I used to be able to, but cannot now... Neither the "Roll bar" on the back of the camera or the "joy pad" on top of it allow me to access the direct menu and my shutter still will not switch off of Auto. The camera is not in full auto mode and the shutter switch has been toggled to on. I'm at a loss...

Tony

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:54:57 am

[Tony Wash] "Okay guys, so I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my Final Cut Pro 6 to at least 6.0.2? It looks like the plug ins require at least that version to work, am I correct? "

That's correct. Remember back in October when you first asked about the EX workflow? In that thread I gave you a list of minimum requirements to make it all happen on a Mac with Final Cut Pro. You can read it here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/861082

[Tony Wash] "The camera is not in full auto mode and the shutter switch has been toggled to on. I'm at a loss..."

Okay. There must be a software glitch happening in the camera then. Go to the "Others" menu and choose "Reset All." If that doesn't work then pull the memory battery, put it back in and reboot the camera.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Wash
on Dec 3, 2008 at 5:40:20 am

Thanks for reverting me back to the original question from a while back. I'll get the update together and should have downloaded the other plug ins. Hopefully, then I'll be good to go!

And it's crazy because after nothing else worked the other day, I took the battery out of my camera to reset it, but the shutter still did not reset. But thanks to you telling me to reset the settings in the options menu, I fixed the shutter problem! I still cannot access my direct menu, but that issue is minute compared to the shutter problem. Thanks!

I'm ready to shoot HD! Hopefully, I don't hit another 50 pot holes...

Tony

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 3, 2008 at 6:03:57 am

[Tony Wash] "I took the battery out of my camera to reset it, but the shutter still did not reset."

You have to have both the main battery and the memory battery removed in order for it to work.

[Tony Wash] "I still cannot access my direct menu, but that issue is minute compared to the shutter problem. Thanks! "

You can only access the menu functions directly on the flip-out LCD if you have the Direct Menu set to "Part." If you set the Direct menu to "All" you can access the on-screen settings but then some of the manual switches on the side and the front (below the lens) won't work. You'll get the "Cannot Proceed" message. So set the Direct Menu to "Part."

Glad everything else worked out for you.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]