FORUMS: list search recent posts

xdcam shooting format

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian bragason
xdcam shooting format
on Nov 27, 2008 at 10:34:44 am

I'm making a documentary, a mix of archival footage, shots of architecture, and talking heads, which I'd like to show at film festivals and (hopefully!) television and I m agonizing over a shooting format. I shot a couple of interviews on a JVC gy 100hd (720p) but have since upgraded to an xdcam ex3. I have 7-10 interviews to go. Do I shoot in 1080p/or 1080psf/ or continue shooting in 720p? Obviously I'd like the best quality I can get. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: xdcam shooting format
on Nov 27, 2008 at 4:40:25 pm

I would shoot 1080 (24-30p to match frame rates of HDV) with the EX3. The 720p HDV can easily be converted to 1080. I would always use the best format the camera can provide.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 27, 2008 at 9:59:04 pm

You could do a test. Shoot something at both formats and see what the workflow is. If the old stuff upconverts to 1080 quick and seemlessly, shooting the new stuff in 1080 is a good idea. If it requires a lot of work, shoot the new the same as the old and it all just falls together.

Some people (and JVC is betting the bank on this) feel that the 720p image is more pleasing. We would be hard pressed to find anyone outside of us who can tell the difference and most us can't either.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 27, 2008 at 10:04:21 pm

Hi Brian

I agree with Michael, shoot with the best format the camera has to offer. Esp. since you're looking at showing your project at a film festival where it'll most likely get projected on a big screen; bigger [format] is always better (for that venue).

Regards,
Dave J

Return to posts index

brian bragason
on Nov 28, 2008 at 9:18:54 pm

Hi Dave!
Thanks so very much for responding to my post. So now the question becomes what is the better 1080 format. 1080p or 1080psf. Do you or anyone have any background in shooting in both or either of these formats on the Xdcan ex3? Any thoughts or advice? Once again any and all responses would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

brian bragason
on Nov 28, 2008 at 9:20:30 pm

Hi Dave!
Thanks so very much for responding to my post. So now the question becomes what is the better 1080 format. 1080p or 1080psf. Do you or anyone have any background in shooting in both or either of these formats on the Xdcan ex3? Any thoughts or advice? Once again any and all responses would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 29, 2008 at 4:54:31 am

Did you shoot 720psf with the JVC camera? If not, I wouldn't start. What frame rate is the "already shot" footage? As far as I can tell, the EX1 will only do 1080psf @ 29.97 and 25 (not 24 or 23.98).

I've never used PsF, and from what little I know about it I don't see why you need to use it unless you're dealing with older CRTs. But maybe someone who knows more about this will post here :o)

If it were me making your film, I'd shoot 1080@24p.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]