FORUMS: list search recent posts

Metadata from EX1 to FCP?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sverker Hahn
Metadata from EX1 to FCP?
on Nov 25, 2008 at 2:48:14 pm

How do I get metadata from EX footage to FCP? I am thinking of creation date and time and clip name. I can see something in XDCAM Transfer in the "Modified" field, but I think it is the time I copied it to the HDD.

Clip name, I know I have to write a name for each subclip, but I mean the number given by the camera.

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Metadata from EX1 to FCP?
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:38:29 pm

There's actually 2 questions in here worth looking at.
Does FCP make the meta data visible? Answer for the most part No.
Does FCP take in the metadata? We need to look at that.

My experience with FCP and DVCAM has shown the following:
FCP does not make the metadata visible.
FCP DOES retain the metadata though. If you edit cuts only in FCP and then export the timeline to a DVCAM deck you'll find the source clip timecodes are STILL THERE for example (as well as other metadata such as camera settings). I've gone from Sony Camera DVCAM, tapes into DVCAM deck into FCP and back to DVCAM deck and the metadata is intact as long as cuts only (dissolve and FX render loses the metadata).

I wish FCP would allow metadata (beyond time code) to be visible (it doesn't).
I wish FCP would retain metadata (it may, we need to think of some sort of XDCAM test).

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:25:32 pm

Thanks for the clarifications, Craig.

We just have to wait for the coming upgrades, haven´t we?. FCPUG IBC Supermeet: Paul Saccone, latest developments with Final Cut Pro didn´t say anything about EX metadata, but a lot about the Red One workflow and it´s metadata.

Let´s hope our wishes will come through - Christmas is less than a month away ...

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:53:34 pm

I think full availability/visibility is a mission critical feature for Final Cut Studio 3/FCP7.

Between P2, SxS, Red, HDV cameras now using flash cards of various types, the need and the ability to use/see source metadata can be important to workflow.

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Nov 25, 2008 at 8:06:07 pm

Craig - is this why my notes don't transfer into FCP when I use Sony XDCAM Transfer to get my SxS media from card to video library, and then IMPORT those files directly into my FCP6 Browser in a project?

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]