FORUMS: list search recent posts

lexar 16 gig sxs cards and the EX

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
lexar 16 gig sxs cards and the EX
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:01:28 am

Anybody have experience with the Lexar 16gig flash cards and the Ex-1/3?

Here is the link: http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-lexar-expresscard-ssd-16gb-price-98021-1972579...

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: lexar 16 gig sxs cards and the EX
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:34:59 am

I'm not going to begin to define the difference between SSD and SxS formats but the SSD cards do not have the record/transfer speed like the SxS format. Here is something you should have a look at if you are looking for alternatives to SxS.
http://www.glasseye.com.au/articles/sdassxs/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:47:45 pm

From what I understand the Lexar card will only work in SP mode. As Michael mentions, it can't sustain the data rate for HQ mode at all.

BTW I'm hearing from several sources that Kensington has discontinued the 7 in 1 adaptor due to weak sales . . . and as the article Michael links to, is the primary if not the only adaptor that works reliably with the SDHC cards and the EX series.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:01:21 pm

Wow, I never thought these readers would be discontinued, B&H has discounted them. So I found 4 somewhere else.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Nov 25, 2008 at 6:46:51 pm

Thanks guys for all the information...
I heard at the Sony Presentation about the EX-1 at NAB 2006 that one of the great features of the EX was the fact that the media would be much cheaper that the other brands.

I guess that Sony has it all to them selves and the promise of cheaper meadia for the Ex at Nab last year was not valid.

I was a little miffed because I bought my EX-1 in November last year just as they were shipping and then found out at NAB a few months later that there was the EX-3 with a removable lens. I wonder what ever happened to the EX-2?

Sorry to be negative.... I really love my Ex and it has become my main camera for our company. I plan to also get the EX-3 shortly.

Ronnie Martin

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 25, 2008 at 7:56:05 pm

[Ronnie Martin] "I wonder what ever happened to the EX-2? "

Apparently the Japanese don't like odd numbers. Or is it even numbers?

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2008 at 8:18:34 pm

[Ronnie Martin] "I heard at the Sony Presentation about the EX-1 at NAB 2006 that one of the great features of the EX was the fact that the media would be much cheaper that the other brands.

I guess that Sony has it all to them selves and the promise of cheaper meadia for the Ex at Nab last year was not valid. "

I heard similar presentation. With the firmware upgrade to 1.11 which included compatibility with their SxS compatible hard drive, Sony actually did "unlock" the ability to use cheaper media for the EX1 (already there in the EX3). Granted such cheaper media still has to sustain the data rate needed.

A few months back Juan Martinez of Sony posted that Sony decided they would not certify the cards though.

People have found that the Kensington 7 in 1 adaptor with Sandisk Ulta and Extreme SDHC cards works. Only overcranking doesn't work (which is the same for the Sony hard drive). See discussions elsewhere on this forum. It is interesting to note the success with Sandisk cards. Sandisk is also one of the "S" in SxS. SxS is Sony by Sandisk.

Basically Sony made the firmware change and Sandisk delivered the compatible SDHC cards. Kensington is the conduit and that seems to be the weak link.

Recently though Kensington has discontinued the 7 in 1 adaptor due to weak sales so some folks are lobbying them while others hope some smart manufacturer will see this small but lucrative market. I'd just thought I'd point out that Sony did make the compatibility happen but they're not taking any, oversight, certification, verification responsibility.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Nov 25, 2008 at 8:51:25 pm

Thanks Craig for the update. I did not mean to put Sony in a negative light. I am a rabid Sony fan. Every video Camera that I have owned in the last 10-15 years has been a Sony. I have owned a PD170, PDX 10, Zu1, Dsr500, Dsr250, Hrv270 and now the EX-1. In the past two years we have been moving to HD and have sold our SD cameras. By far the 170 and DSR 500 have been my favorites.

I think our move to HD has been premature. Out end product is still SD DVD and will be for the foreseeable future. We got better results shooting SD and delivering SD than we do shooting HD and then down converting to SD. If the price of the Blu Ray blank printable disks ever come down so that small companies like us can distribute our work on them, we will finally be able to share the great images we get shooting HD with the Zu1, EX and 270. Currently, our main camera is the EX and the B roll is the Zu1. Sorry to ramble on so and off topic.

Take care

Ronnie Martin
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 26, 2008 at 1:09:51 am

[Ronnie Martin] "We got better results shooting SD and delivering SD than we do shooting HD and then down converting to SD."
I accept that is much easier to do everything in SD, but about the result, there are not comparable at all.
My EX-1 downconverted looks like Digital Betacam.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Nov 26, 2008 at 2:16:40 am

What is your work flow? At what point do you down convert?
Also what NLE Editing platform are you using?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 26, 2008 at 10:39:52 am

Hi Ronnie,
I shot with the EX-1 and normally end up in SD and videos for the web.
I edit directly with the EX-1 footage. If I go to CC in color I just cut in an EX-1 sequence and send it to Colors. Export in ProRess and them I make the downsizing in FC.
Some times I cut directly the EX-1 footage in an SD ProRess sequence. Before exporting I set "Render all YUV material in High Precision" and "Motion Effects Rendering: Best". FC makes a great job downscaling like that. It takes some time but is anyway faster than with Compressor with similar setting.
Having the AJA ioHD I could make this downscaling in RT and save a lot of time.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 26, 2008 at 10:48:38 am

I forgot to add that I always shot in 35Mbps.
rafael

Return to posts index

Gus Guardado
on Dec 11, 2008 at 1:10:10 am

Has anyone read the link Michael Palmer added to his 1st response to Ronnie Martin's question? There's some interesting solutions to finding cheaper cards for the EX1/EX3. Has anyone tried one of these solutions? Sadly I also tried to cheat the cost of Sony's cards by purchasing the 16gb Lexar only to discover it was incompatible.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 11, 2008 at 7:27:51 am

Read

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]