FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.8 Available!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.8 Available!
on Nov 24, 2008 at 12:30:33 am

Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.8 Available! Sony UK has it first.
Sony UK
Look down the page for the Tools / Downloads box. You'll see it says
Final Cut Pro/XDCAM Transfer V2.8.0
Click on that and you'll have to register (It's easy) or login.
and then you can download.

Don G., why is Sony Canada slacking off? They always used to be first with this stuff.

Return to posts index

Jacob Duus
Re: Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.8 Available!
on Nov 24, 2008 at 12:15:42 pm

What have changed? Any improvements?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 24, 2008 at 12:38:27 pm

I didn't see a ReadMe with any details. I do know that Sony added the ability to go back to SxS card. The PDF seems to say that. That's a big deal for some. I've been told it's limited to 4GB though. I haven't tested any of this though.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 25, 2008 at 2:27:20 pm

Craig, being able to go back on to a card in the camera is a terrific advantage if you want an easy to access HD master which you can take from an edited timeline because you can play it out as video whereas a stored master file presumably has to be re imported to play out.

Also, do you know if this new version will run on a Pre Intel Mac G5?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2008 at 3:31:48 pm

But you can put that same master sequence on to any other medium and bring it anywhere. There are fewer and fewer situations where one would have to be locked into using the camera HD-SDI to play back a recorded file. Recorded files can copy using any file based infrastructure. I view HD-SDI as a "live" tool.

Why bring the camera to a facility to play out the master file when one can just bring the file?
How many facilities can handle HD-SDI but NOT be able to take the file itself in from an optical disc, a hard drive, a thumb drive, with firewire, usb, ethernet?

If you're dumping to HDCAM deck, how many facilities can ONLY do that through HD-SDI vs playing that out from an HDCAM deck hooked up to an NLE or some other computer (which can read the file directly)

With calibratedsoftware's plugin you can bring an XDCAM EX .mov file into any Mac or Windows computer and can be played via Quicktime. Certainly those creating an .mxf master may have equal facility.

I just think it's a rare situation where one would need to back to SxS (with master back in BPAV format) to be used in the camera to go HD-SDI out.

Please explain how carrying $7000=$10,000 worth of camera and card for HD-SDI playback is better than bringing the master file copied on to a few dollars worth of media.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:14:44 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I just think it's a rare situation where one would need to back to SxS (with master back in BPAV format) to be used in the camera to go HD-SDI out"
Hi Craig,
For me this would be great.
For my last jobs I've bee going to the field some time for a week and ending up with hours of footage.
Normally I download it to HD at night to back it up and to have a look to what I've been filming.
For me would be interesting to be able to bring back to the SxS card just the footage I want to edit with and capture it again as ProRess with the AJA.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:49:31 pm

[Rafael Amador] "For me would be interesting to be able to bring back to the SxS card just the footage I want to edit with and capture it again as ProRess with the AJA. "

Yes, I see merit to that.

My thoughts thoughts though:
Why not convert the selects to ProRes in computer? That does depend on the computer horsepower though. With an 8 Core MacPro one can set up a QuickCluster to convert to ProRes. On the other hand if you're out in the field with a 2 core MacBookPro, AJA's realtime convert to ProRes could be faster. All this begs the question. Why the need to work in ProRes? What I do in FCP is keep the sequence set to native XDCAM EX but set the renders to ProRes. This way the FX work is happening in ProRes. I find this the fastest way to work. Even with real time conversion to ProRes you're losing that time (and drive space too).

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 26, 2008 at 1:00:32 am

Hi Craig,
I agree with you. I like to make all the way in native EX-1 until the rendering. I don't see the need to transcode everything to ProRes and this is what I recommend to everybody. But this feature would be useful in many cases. For example for fast downscaling. I shot 1080 but quite often I have to downsize because the project is SD or (more annoying) because the GPU of my MBP can not cope with 1080 when applying the new ffx plugins. In cases like that would be very helpful this SxS option.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:19:55 am

Yes Craig but I never have occasion to visit a 'facility'. I do often have to project a film to an audience which I do currently from tape or DVD at SD standard. Going direct from the SXS card in the camera would give that extra quality. I realise that the file could be played from a laptop and could also be archived so of course you're right in principle. You didn't answer whether you knew if the 2.8 Transfer Tool will go in the older (Pre Intel) Mac G5.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Aiden Finn
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:29:08 pm

Well, I just found something. It looks like it will now deal with orphaned .MP4 files without having to go through Clip Browser first. Just drag a folder with some .MP4s onto the folder listing on the left and off you go !

Return to posts index

Bill Kimzey
on Dec 15, 2008 at 8:45:41 pm

This fixes the problem of 720p60 audio ticking. ;-)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:02:51 pm

[Bill Kimzey] "This fixes the problem of 720p60 audio ticking. ;-)"

Really? I guess that's pretty important. Thanks for the update, Bill.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 24, 2008 at 9:36:58 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Don G., why is Sony Canada slacking off? They always used to be first with this stuff."

It would seem that the British Empire has rescinded its privileges with regard to the colonies and Canada was first on their list.

- Don

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:03:43 pm

Also available here
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software-model-PDZKP1.aspx

Return to posts index

Wayne Grabert
on Jan 3, 2009 at 8:17:57 am

No, it is NOT available. In typical Sony fashion, they've made it impossible to download. When you click on the supposed link, it starts going through a series of URL redirects till Safari says it can't open the page because there are too many redirects. What kind of malicious joke is that?

Return to posts index

Bill Kunitz
on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:23:10 pm

Wayne, I ran into the same issue. Try this:
http://support.sonybiz.net/software/detail.aspx?id=BPE-SS-03A1&model=PMW-EX...

Return to posts index

Wayne Grabert
on Jan 8, 2009 at 9:15:52 pm

Thank you, Bill. It's reassuring to know it wasn't just me. Someone alerted me on Sunday that the new version was available and emailed me the difficult-to-find URL. With 2.8, I finally got Transfer to work with card images saved to a drive by selecting the nested clip folders (the ones within the the CLPR folder and that have the MP4 and data files).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]