FORUMS: list search recent posts

what is a BVAP file...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Semeniuk
what is a BVAP file...
on Nov 23, 2008 at 1:37:40 am

...and can someone please provide me with a work flow for importing them so that I might have a better chance of moving the files off my MacPro to an Avid Nitris running on a PC?

Somewhere I read that the BVAP file can be considered the "new videotape", like a raw tape if you will, with all the info there to be read by any computer running the Sony clip browse software.

I think that would mean if I saved my media as BVAP files instead of using the "log and transfer" feature in FCP 6.0.4 then they would no longer be converted to quicktime files.

My hope is that I could load the files, when needed, onto my Mac formatted portable Lacie drive, carry it over to the edit house using Avid Nitris on a PC, and then they would use "Flip for Mac" to read the drive, pull the unmolested files off, then use the same Sony clip browse software to move them into the Avid. Since the files are not quicktime, and still still in the Sony proprietary form, the Avid should be able to read the files after running them through the clip browser, no?
Thank you for any help!

Sincerely,
Rob Semeniuk

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
BPAV FOLDER
on Nov 23, 2008 at 2:01:28 am

BPAV is a FOLDER not a file, that contains the media files and the metadata that goes with it, as recording by XDCAM EX cameras.

The Sony ClipBrowser 2 can see those folders (when enclosed by another folder) and can export those fils as .MXF (assuming that's what you need for Avid). The Sony XDCAM Transfer tool converts the contents of BPAV folder to .MOV for use in Final Cut Pro.

In short, all you need is BPAV folders enclosed in another folder, read by Sony ClipBrowser and rewrapped to .MXF for the Avid.

Flip4Mac XDCAM MXF import
http://www.flip4mac.com/pro_xdcam.htm
is only for Final Cut Pro but on Mac XDCAM Transfer converts to .MOV so it's not at all related to what you need to do.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
Re: BPAV FOLDER
on Nov 23, 2008 at 7:09:40 am

Well, now my cover is blown. You now know I'm merely posing as computer literate. I never even got the acronym straight (BPAV vs BVAP.

I was trying to leave the house and clearly should have vetted that post more thoroughly. What I wrote was not exactly what I was thinking.

Of course "FlipforMac" is for the Mac. What I meant is, is there not a program that allows a PC to read a Mac formatted drive? If so, the BPAV folder containing the un-molested/altered/wrapped media, should be transferable to a PC, where the Sony clipbrowse software would take care of converting the it to something Avid could see.

Whaddya think?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 23, 2008 at 7:26:11 am

[Robert Semeniuk] "is there not a program that allows a PC to read a Mac formatted drive?"

Yes there is, and it's called MacDrive®. Installed on a Windows machine the program will read and write to a hard drive formatted in Mac OS Extended.

http://mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

Another option is to format a portable drive in FAT32 which is the formatting that can be read by both Mac and Windows computers without the need for additional software. You can use Apple's Disk Utility to format a hard drive in FAT32. Sony's SxS Pro memory cards for the EX cameras are also formatted in FAT32 for this very reason. That's why EX files are split into 4 Gbyte chunks on the cards because FAT32 has a 4 Gbyte file size limit. So, although I haven't tried it, a logical and natural way to transfer your EX media to a Windows machine is to drag the BPAV folder from the card directly to a FAT32 drive attached to your Mac and then drive over to your client's place with your hard drive.

- Don

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Nov 23, 2008 at 6:25:34 pm

Thanks for the help guys. If this works, it will help when we hire an outside edit house to do work for us with stuff I shot. Otherwise, there'll be big trouble. It still doesn't help with the stuff already ingested into FCP but I'm working on something for that too.

My only other option is to output to tape to move video from Final Cut Pro but we haven't the money to invest in any kind of HD machine.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 23, 2008 at 7:08:14 pm

[Robert Semeniuk] "It still doesn't help with the stuff already ingested into FCP but I'm working on something for that too. "

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/XDDecodeQ.html
This codec will allow EX .MOV files to be used on Macs without FCP as well as Windows boxes.

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on Dec 1, 2008 at 11:21:18 pm

Not sure if this would help your situation but you could also view your EX footage using ClipBrowser and export the clips out has MXF among many different formats.

Return to posts index

Sheona McDonald
XDCAM EX clip browser won't open
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:35:56 pm

I am running MC on my pc using windows running XP pro. I have a sony EX1 and using my laptop (with shotput pro and xdcam ex clip browser) I have transferred the footage onto a hard drive.

I am now trying to open the XDCAM EX Clipbrowser software on my desktop (there is no card port) and am getting the following message:

The procedure entry point ?getDefaultXercesMemMegr@XalanMemMgrs@xalanc_1_10@@SAAAVMemoryManager@xercesc_2_8@@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library Xalan-C_1_10.dll

My understanding is that if I'm able to open this software, I should be able to view the clips that are on the hard drive and then expore them as MXF files for MC?

Any suggestions on how to get the Clipbrowser (2.0) to open?

Thanks,
Sheona

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]