FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 - hard to fit hand onto servo zoom while shooting on tripod. Am I missing something???

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Childs
EX3 - hard to fit hand onto servo zoom while shooting on tripod. Am I missing something???
on Nov 21, 2008 at 5:49:03 am

Hi All -

I just rented a Sony EX3 for tomm and the weekend to test drive ... and possibly purchase if I really like it. So far so good. I'm impressed. Being an old shoulder mount guy this feels better to shoot hand held than the handycam style cameras. Just a preference.

BUT I found an issue I am dumbfounded to have not found in any other reviews of the camera. When one is shooting on a tripod and needing to pan and tilt with the right hand and focus and zoom with the left hand, the zoom servo toggle is almost IMPOSSIBLE to reach under the viewfinder and over the lens!! Am I missing something here???? There is a screw handle under the viewfinder that allows you to slide the viewsfinder further into or away from the camera for a better eye fit BUT when I try to slide my hand between the viewfinder and lens my hand rubs right against the lens (including the zoom and iris wheel). Now my hands are not any bigger or thicker than anyone else (at least I don't think) but I could feel the iris rolling against my palm. And the screw handle hanging down, for tightening and loosening the viewfinder - made it nearly impossible and very uncomfortable to zoom. YES there is a zoom "button" on the top but there is no ramping of servo speeds. So if you need to shoot a press conference on a tripod and pan, tilt AND zoom you better have very small and thin handes. Please tell me I am missing something. This is like 101 videography. Anyone else notice this??

Jay

Return to posts index

Klaas van Urk
Re: EX3 - hard to fit hand onto servo zoom while shooting on tripod. Am I missing something???
on Nov 21, 2008 at 1:16:29 pm

There's a simple solution. The Libec ZC-9EX remote controller. Use your left hand just for focusing. Especially on long shoots, zooming with your left hand is very tiresome on any camera. I bought one for 157 euros, so the price won't stop you. Works nice. I use it on my PDW F330 to.

Return to posts index

Klaas van Urk
Re: EX3 - hard to fit hand onto servo zoom while shooting on tripod. Am I missing something???
on Nov 21, 2008 at 1:18:00 pm

There's a simple solution. The Libec ZC-9EX remote controller. Use your left hand just for focusing. Especially on long shoots, zooming with your left hand is very tiresome on any camera. I bought one for 157 euros, so the price won't stop you. Works nice. I use it on my PDW F330 to.

Return to posts index

Jay Childs
on Nov 21, 2008 at 2:22:35 pm

Thanks Klaus.

Does this work well though when I am looking through my eyepiece, panning or tilting with my right hand and needing to zoom in or out at the same time with my left? I am thinking when I am on sticks, not in a studio, but say in an outdoor environment when normally my left hand would be toggling the zoom control.
Instead I use this device with my left hand while I pan?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 21, 2008 at 6:52:16 pm

[Jay Childs] " I am thinking when I am on sticks, not in a studio, but say in an outdoor environment when normally my left hand would be toggling the zoom control. Instead I use this device with my left hand while I pan? "

Using a tripod the controller mounts to the pan bar just in front of the grip and you operate the zoom rocker with the thumb of your right hand while you pan and tilt. This leaves your left hand free to adjust focus and iris. I use the Libec piece myself and find the zoom control to be quite accurate and repeatable. I use it either on a tripod or my shoulder brace with an EX1.

Trying to do operate your tripod mounted EX3 without a zoom controller will invite many visits to your local physiotherapy clinic, although your physiotherapist would probably appreciate the extra cash.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]