FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stars Timelpase with the EX 1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clay Porter
Stars Timelpase with the EX 1
on Nov 19, 2008 at 2:13:16 am

Hello,

I am trying to do a timelapse of stars at night in the sky using my EX 1. I have had great results using Interval Recording with the EX Slow Shutter setting on during the day and at sunrise/sunset but can't seem to get an acceptable image when trying to shoot up in the sky at night to get a timelapse of stars moving. Any tips?

For my timelapses during the day and sunrise/sunsets I use the EX Slow Shutter set to 16. Boosting it to 32 or 64 doesn't seem to help out. When I bump up the gain the image gets very noisy.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Clay

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Stars Timelpase with the EX 1
on Nov 19, 2008 at 2:55:22 am

I tried all of the same stuff and the camera is not sensitive enough. IMHO

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
Re: Stars Timelpase with the EX 1
on Nov 19, 2008 at 3:47:21 pm

I wouldn't bother with the ex1 for this (or any video camera). I've done some great time lapse stars with my little Nikon D50 with an intervalometer called a "P Clix":

http://www.pclix.com/pages/pclix_main.html

I then use after effects to create the quicktime movie. If you don't have AE, you can use Final Cut or even quicktime pro to convert the folder full of jpegs into a movie with the resolution of your choice - even Ultra High Def, if you want.

I shoot with the lens wide open (of course - usually f 2.8) at 1600 asa, 30 second exposure for an amazing sky full of stars. I live in New Hampshire with very little light pollution, which helps. A bright moon makes for nice lit up trees and such in the foreground.
Good luck!
Bob

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory - Mac OS 10.5.2 - Quicktime 7.4.5 -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 (Final Cut 6.0.3) - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS3 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]