FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Apple Trackpad Update fix SxS driver on new MBP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
Does Apple Trackpad Update fix SxS driver on new MBP
on Nov 18, 2008 at 12:52:25 pm

Has anyone tried installing SxS driver after Trackpad update?

And did that fix conflict?

I will give it a shot later this week, just wondering if anyone tried yet.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

bob jackson
Re: Does Apple Trackpad Update fix SxS driver on new MBP
on Nov 18, 2008 at 3:12:10 pm

Good question!
I just got my Macbook pro yesterday and installed all of the updates.
Hopefully someone here has that answer.
Bob

vidiot

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Nov 18, 2008 at 5:53:01 pm

If you please, exactly what updates are needed?

Here is my problem: After loading the latest Sony software updates from their website, I have the slow startup on my MBP w/trackpad, but, more disappointing, when loading clips directly from my EX-1 via USB, it will inport several clips (from FCP 6.0.4/Sony XDCAM Transfer plug-in), then I get a message in several languages that says, something like, "restart now." This happened about five times yesterday. Each time I made progress with the clips but this is very time-consuming. Editing seems to be fine.

Perhaps my problem is exacerbated by my G-Speed Es RAID attached through the ExpressCard 34 port through a Griffin adapter purchased at an Apple store. If anyone thinks this could be the problem, please let me know.

I'll try this again today without the RAID, but if I cannot resolve this, Apple suggests that I do an archive and restore to remove all third-party software. After this, what then would I load up if I am to use my MBP? Perhaps the culprit is the Sony Clip Browser, so I will not use this if it is the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions of what might work? Thanks in advance!

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

MPB DP 2.8GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 2TB eSATA G-Speed Es RAID at level 0; MP G5 DP 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM, mucho storage via three RAID arrays

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Nov 18, 2008 at 7:49:48 pm

The software from sony works great for me and a lot of other people.

I use XD-cam transfer 2.7.0 XD, and/or Sony XDCAM EX ClipBrowser Version 2.00.00 (209.409).

This works on previous version MBP and Current (late 2008) MBP.

The problem with new MBP's is the SxS Card driver, that is what conflicts with the new trackpad, slow start it runs hot and uses a lot of resources, 3 and 4 finger gestures don't work, but everything else works great.

If you remove the Sony SxS driver the MBP is happy and you can still transfer just fine but slow using USB from camera (not a good solution), we are all hoping for updated drivers asap.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Nov 18, 2008 at 9:48:56 pm

Thanks for this, Olof!

I wouldn't mind the slow ingest of clips, so this might well be the solution I am looking for. The only thing I'm confused about is I thought I only downloaded the two Sony items you mentioned, the XDCAM Transfer and the Clip Brower. Was the Sony SxS driver included in one of those items or is it a separate driver? I would have asked Sony, but I only get put on hold, then the call goes to the ''leaving a message option,'' not good when you are traveling about.

Thanks much!

Tom

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Nov 19, 2008 at 12:24:38 am

I installed it as a separate item. I did not use the disc that came with the camera, I downloaded the latest versions. It may install automatically from the disc.

The downloadable installer is called SxS_Device_Driver.dmg. It can be run as an uninstaller as well, that is how I uninstalled it.

Here is a url to download it:
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?logicalname=RME%20PRO%20S...

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:12:59 pm

Thanks so much, you are a lifesaver!

Tom

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

Dan Nocera
SxS Driver Workaround Late 2008 MacBook Pro
on Dec 17, 2008 at 11:15:08 am

It doesn't fix it yet. It's December 2008 but the new driver from Sony hasn't appeared yet. . .

However, I have figured out a workaround that lets Late 2008 Mac Book Pro users use the ExpressCard/34 expansion slot to ingest from SxS cards.
I get almost 8X transfer rates with a 2.8Ghz MBP with 4Gb RAM so its really worth it if you have extensive media to capture. I get 4X with USB transfers.

Install the SxS driver - and instead of restarting - Force Quit the SxS driver installer. Pop your SxS card into the ExpressCard/34 expansion slot - It will mount now. Then just run the XDCAM Transfer program. When done transferring - Run the SxS driver installer and UN-Install the driver.

At this point you'll have to restart you MBP, but you just cut your transfer time in half so who cares!

The Slow-down bug only crops up for me when restarting after SxS driver installation.

Dan Nocera
CTFCPUG Moderator

If all else fails give it a whack!!
-Anonymous Techie

Return to posts index

Dan Nocera
Updated SxS Driver for MacBook Pro (Late 2008)
on Dec 17, 2008 at 11:27:49 am

I guess they did come out with a driver update. . . I just couldn't find it

Try here.

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

At the bottom of this page it says

"The New MacBook Pro released after October 2008 is supported."

Version 1034300

Dan Nocera
CTFCPUG Moderator

If all else fails give it a whack!!
-Anonymous Techie

Return to posts index