FORUMS: list search recent posts

viewing xdcam footage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob carden
viewing xdcam footage
on Nov 13, 2008 at 5:37:59 pm

Am about to go tapeless and buying the XDCAM EX 3. Question, currently some of my clients take the tape with them and screen and pull bites themselves. WIth the XDCAM EX 3 what is the best and easiest way to give the client viewing copies of the footage with time code? Quality does not have to be great.

Thanks,

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: viewing xdcam footage
on Nov 13, 2008 at 6:16:47 pm

There are several ways and nearly all are easier than tape IMHO.

Copy BPAV folders to:
optical disc (DVD, DL DVD)
portable hard drive
In the above cases also give them the free Sony ClipBrowser
The now have master files with time code.

or
drop in NLE of choice and add timecode filter and export to whatever codec is easiest for them (H264, WMV) and then FTP them the file or post on some private online mechanism for them to view (and/or download).

Why I don't like tape?
Client must have compatible deck. Client must have deck with them for screening. One may have to hand over camera masters or make real time dubs.
All the above files methods will work on any modern computer including laptops so client has maximum flexibility.

Return to posts index

Jason Davenport
on Nov 13, 2008 at 10:10:49 pm

You use a Kensington 7 in 1 adapter that uses SD cards and just hand them off to them after shoot, or copy from your SxS card to the Kensington card via in camera copy and give them the SD card.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sq=desc&gclid=CM-o-oyM85...
Read this!!
http://www.glasseye.com.au/articles/sdassxs/

Return to posts index

bob carden
on Nov 13, 2008 at 10:49:05 pm

So you are pretty confident that the SDHC cards will work with the XDCAM? Did read that here but was not sure they worked because Sony's not behind it. But I suppose they want you to buy their cards

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2008 at 6:32:41 pm

Proven by MANY people now that SDHC works with EX. A very specific combination of reader and very small number of cards though.

Return to posts index

bob carden
on Nov 15, 2008 at 11:13:13 pm

Thanks, one last question. My client has an old dell laptop, will she need any special software to view the card? Should I give her the sony clip browser software.

B

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 16, 2008 at 12:03:12 am

[bob carden] "will she need any special software to view the card? Should I give her the sony clip browser software. "
Card? I assume you mean disk (DVD, DL DVD, etc). You're not giving her the SxS card I hope.
ClipBrowser 2 would be best IMHO if she's looking at BPAV folders.

[bob carden] "My client has an old dell laptop"
"old" is kinda vague. The only way to know is give her the files. Keep in mind ClipBrowser 2 can also export to other codecs but in my tests (to DV.avi for example) it does NOT keep the time code.

Return to posts index

bob carden
on Nov 13, 2008 at 10:50:29 pm

So if you copy to a dvd the time code will burn into the dvd?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 15, 2008 at 6:20:56 pm

[bob carden] "So if you copy to a dvd the time code will burn into the dvd?"

Yes, if you copy the EX clips in their native state over to a Data DVD. EX clips have imbedded audio and TC.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2008 at 6:37:08 pm

Just to be clear, copy the BPAV folder which includes Clip and MetaData. It's not a "burn in," it's the actual MASTER (as in camera master). It's far faster to copy the BPAV then to line up files in an NLE, add a visual burn in filter, render, encode, author a quick DVD.

Of course some may be reluctant to hand a client the copy of camera masters if one is planing to do the post work.

My hope is that there will be a compression app which will take the BPAV and encode burn in files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]