FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with Audio

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hadden
Help with Audio
on Nov 12, 2008 at 4:40:47 am

I'm a noob when it comes to audio, I must confess I'm use to using camcorders and just trusting the on camera mic. This cam is so much different. I bought a sony shotgun mic for the cam and I have several questions. Could someone go step by step as to what I need to set both in the menu and on the camera body to get great audio. All of my shoots involve talent standing a few feet in front of the cam and talking. I just want to make sure everything is correct because I just don't know what I'm doing and I'm afraid, for example, I've already messed up my menu settings in regards to audio. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jason Hadden
Re: Help with Audio
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:48:13 am

I forgot to mention, I'm using the EX1

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 12, 2008 at 10:37:03 am

Jason, the menu arrangements for the EX1 are very good. Presumably you have found the audio section. Provided you have set the external switch on the camera to 'mic' and to phantom power (using the camera's power), the menu is self explanatory. You can use the pre set levels and set the external switch to 'auto' if you don't want to be bothered with changing the level. If you are outside you may wish to use the wind filter which is set using the menu.

By far the best way to learn all about settings for this great camera is to view the double DVD workshop produced by Vortex Media where their expert cameraman Doug Jensen takes about three hours to give a comprehensive and easily understood lesson. Look them up on the web, if your camera supplier didn't give you this DVD he should be ashamed of himself!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jason Hadden
on Nov 12, 2008 at 11:34:36 am

Thanks for responding, but after dropping several grand for the cam, I can't swing the $100 + for the DVD. I just ran into some problems like what to set the outside switch to next to the xlr plug ins on the cam (what is +48?) and I can only get one channel of audio to work with the shotgun mic. Oh well, I'll keep experimenting and hopefully will work it out.

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Nov 12, 2008 at 12:46:21 pm

+48 is phantom power to power a mic if needed. I suggest you do some reading , I am sure the owners manual has an audio section. Learn the difference between mic and line level. should explain the switches.

regards
Tom

" EVERY DAY IS A GIFT, which is why we call it the present"

Alfred Hitchcock

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Nov 12, 2008 at 8:12:47 pm

The shot gun mic is sure to be a mono unit if it only has 1 XLR plug. So only one channel will record it.

Return to posts index

bob jackson
on Nov 13, 2008 at 2:30:57 am

Read page 101 of the manual.
Set your shotgun on CH 1.
In the menu select CH 1.
This records channel 1 audio on both Ch 1 & 2.
Bob

vidiot

Return to posts index

Lorraine McCarthy
on Feb 2, 2010 at 7:03:39 pm

Hi Bob,

Just stumbled across this post but it relates to a question I have about the audio settings on a camera.

Can you explain what CH 1, CH 2, CH1+CH2, CH1/CH2 means in the Audio Input/Output section of the menu???

I dont know what each option means or which one to use when Im using multiple mics.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lorraine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]