FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX Quicktime Movies Not Viewable on PCs??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Parkhurst
XDCAM EX Quicktime Movies Not Viewable on PCs??
on Nov 12, 2008 at 2:53:38 am

I have been working with XDCAM EX footage in FCP 6.0.4. Everything looks great... until I go to output. Actually, it still looks great for me, but when any of my clients are viewing any of these Quicktime files, they see nothing. Only an error message that wants them to locate a codec. All kinds of codecs have been loaded on to their PC machines, but nothing seems to work.

I'm a bit concerned (after having done some research) that because the files were imported via a Mac and FCP that now the XDCAM footage cannot be viewed by any PC users, regardless of how new the Quicktime version they have. Something to do with the codec and how the files are bundled..?

I want full resolution so have been exporting using the Quicktime Conversion and the XDCAM EX 1080p30 codec. When I export an h.264 compression, everyone is able to see the results. However, this will not suffice as I'll need a higher resolution than what that codec offers.

Any suggestions? Does SONY have some sort of codec download that anyone using a Quicktime needs to have in order to view these files? Why can't I simply export using the XDCAM EX 1080p30 codec and have these movies be viewable by all Quicktime users?

In advance, thank you for any insight into this issue!!

Director, Editor
http://www.BarangFilms.com

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: XDCAM EX Quicktime Movies Not Viewable on PCs??
on Nov 12, 2008 at 5:48:37 am

From what I understand, the XDCAM codec comes with FCP6. PCs don't have it. My PC friends tell me that their XDCAM projects look great in Windows Media. so I'm considering getting the HD version of Flip4Mac so I can do that.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX Quicktime MOV codec for PC
on Nov 12, 2008 at 6:09:00 am

For PC and Macs without Final Cut Pro
I've posted this in the forum 2 or 3 times already. I wish it wasn't so hard to find. BTW it's hard to find using Google too. The company needs a marketing manager me thinks. Gosh they should buy ads in targeted forums like this.
calibratedsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Nov 12, 2008 at 7:39:44 pm

Thanks Craig. I checked this out and I'm unclear as to whether we apply this to the clip on our end or if this is something the client has to purchase in order to view our clips. If it's the latter, I would think that Windows Media might be the better option.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 12, 2008 at 8:11:14 pm

The client would have to apply it. It works on Windows and on Macs WITHOUT FCP. They warn quite specifically do NOT use on systems with FCP otherwise it'll conflict with Sony's FCP EX codec.

In fact every client who you handed such files to would have to buy it. I've been thinking about the business model for using it on the post side of things. Maybe buy it for the client and bury the cost? It's an extra $79 expense per client.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 12, 2008 at 8:37:07 pm

An alternative would be to encode the EX files to QT H.264 and keep the native frame size. Then all the PC user has to have to view the clips is the free Quicktime Player for WIndows. I did this recently for a client and they were very happy with the H.264 quality. I'm not sure if Windows Media Player supports QT H.264. It means more time encoding, though.

- Don

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:10:31 pm

Hi Chris,

There’s nothing to apply on your end per se – its’ a QuickTime Codec that can decode XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, and HDV QuickTime .MOV files. So if you used XDCAM Transfer to create .MOV files from XDCAM HD MXF or XDCAM EX MP4 files then this QuickTime Codec would enable you to use the XDCAM HD/EX/HDV .MOV files with applications that support QuickTime on PC or Mac computers without FCP.

And it’s not only for client review – with the codec you can now hand off XDCAM HD/EX/HDV QuickTime Movies to other people in your post-production pipeline that don’t have FCP.

You can also use the codec with my Calibrated{Q} MXF Import plugin to turn QuickTime Player into a viewer for XDCAM HD MXF files.

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Nov 22, 2008 at 7:12:14 am

Is this my answer to get already-ingested XDCam EX1 footage out of FCP, and into the Avid down the street?

There will be times when I need to bring footage over to an Avid Nitris. I never thought it would be so complex.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Nov 22, 2008 at 8:34:28 pm

Hi Robert,

Yes this should work - let me know if you ahve any issues. Try the demo out (just has watermarks).

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Nov 23, 2008 at 1:08:28 am

Greg, I have quite a few questions- could we chat on the phone?

Email your # to semis57@gmail.com, or if you prefer email only, shoot me a note to the noted account and I'll get you my work account.

Thanks,

Rob Semeniuk

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:31:14 pm

Hey Greg,

I'm doing exactly what you are talking about in this thread. I have someone who shot with the EX3 and has XDCAM native footage. I need to get a "same as source" type of file to composite with. How do you make the clips work both on the Mac and for my PC? Is that an option in the XDCAM transfer software?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:51:04 pm

Hi Jason,

The Calibrated{Q} XD Decode codec is a QuickTime codec that lets you use/view XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, and HDV QuickTime Movies on Windows or Mac computers that dont have final cut pro in either QuickTime Player or other applications that support QuickTime. You can download a demo from our website - http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

The codec though does not re-wrap the MOV files into MXF or MP4 files.
If you have the XDCAM transfer software you should be able to do that - (i.e. rewrap MXF and MP4 files). Is that the workflow you wanted?

Greg

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:33:50 am

EXACTLY!

I'm trying to understand all this stuff, I come from the AVID world and have always experienced AVID providing their codecs free so anyone can interpret the footage correctly. Is this just a SONY proprietary thing? Or is there more to it?

This product should work for my workflow...I just want to be able to intrepret footage edited in an XDCAM HD timeline on a mac into After Effects I'm running on a PC. There may be a better way, but I'm not a Final Cut user and haven't worked much with a variety of codecs...

Thank you for the link and so much for your help!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jan 30, 2009 at 12:57:20 am

Hi Jason,

It's more of an Apple thing (at least I think) - certain QuickTime codecs only come with Final Cut Pro Studio.

And yes, the workflow you describe (using XDCAM HD .MOV files in AE on PC) is where you would need the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for Windows codec.

Another workflow is to export XDCAM HD MXF file from your Final Cut Pro timeline (using Sony's export plugin) and you could import those XDCAM HD MXF files in AE CS4 or AE CS3(3.2 updatte needed)

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 30, 2009 at 1:14:54 am

Awesome...I'm actually still working in AE 7.0 so it's probably not an option.

Thanks for the link and info!

I love the COW!!!

Return to posts index

emmanuel Presselin
on Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59:44 am

I found a free work around using a demux feature of DVD studio pro.
If someone interested, i will explain...

Emmanuel

Return to posts index

Douglas Warouw
on May 30, 2009 at 11:25:09 pm

VLC plays XDCamEX files no worries, MAC and PC and its free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Return to posts index

Bob Anderson
on Feb 5, 2013 at 3:14:51 am

I want to be able to view my XDCAM EX footage on a PC laptop to log the footage and make TIMECODE notes. I shoot in 1080i 60 straight to SDHC Cards as MOV files. Will your XDCAM software work for me?

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:54:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in our software!

Yes, Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for Windows is a QuickTime Video Decode codec that will let you view the video in the XDCAM EX .MOV files on your Windows computer.

You can download Calibrated{Q} XD Decode for Windows here to try out:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXDDownload.asp

DEMO MODE Limitation
Without a Software License, Calibrated{Q} XD Decode will run in DEMO MODE where a Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Logo watermark will be placed over the video. This is the only DEMO MODE limitation, everything else is fully functional. Using the software in DEMO MODE is for testing only, and should not be used for commercial purposes.

Please note that decoding performance depends on speed of your computer (CPU & harddrive) and the application that is using the codec.

Also, please note that TimeCode and Audio is not handled by our codec - all TimeCode and Audio functionality is handled between QuickTime and the application you are using.

You can email us at info [at] calibratedsoftware [dot] com if you have any questions!

Cheers
Greg

Return to posts index

José Alonso
codec sony xdcam para quictime
on May 24, 2010 at 12:42:58 pm

I need sony's codec for xdcam to see in quicktime

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: codec sony xdcam para quictime
on May 25, 2010 at 4:13:43 am

You need FC 6.0.2 or the Calibrated plugin.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyck
on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:00:41 pm

So let me get this straight...I've got to drop $149 to get QT (so, effectively After Effects and Premiere Pro) to read the hundreds of GB of footage I've already got. Grumble grumble.

Mac G5 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS Version 10.6.6
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
After Effects CS4
Photoshop CS3
Cinema 4d r12
Sony EX-1

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:35:57 am

Your NLE's are out of date to work with today's camera codecs. A little research before you bought an EX1 would have saved you a whole lot of grumbling.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Emilio Hernandez
on Sep 20, 2012 at 2:51:10 pm

I am using Avid MC 6.5 and could link with AMA the .mov with the XDCAM codec from files that came from FCP.

So if you are using Avid download the AMA plugin for XDCAM from the Avid site and there you go.

Creating something that does not exist to exist.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Sony XDCAM EX codec for Windows
on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:37:03 am

I have to say I'm pretty irrate right now. I've been shooting on an EX3 and editing on FCP7 for the past year. Now, I'm moving away from MAC to PC (Because FCPX doesn't cut it) and I have 3 TB of footage that has all been exported from FCP as XDCAM EX 1080/60i Quicktime .mov files. All I want is a simple damn codec so I can open those files in MPEG Streamclip and convert them to another format as needed. It shouldn't be that hard and I certainly shouldn't have to spend $149 for a simple codec download from calibrate just to view XDCAM clips on a PC. This is ridiculous. What the hell is Sony thinking? Why don't they provide the codec for Windows for free? What a joke.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony XDCAM EX codec for Windows
on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:55:51 am

You could go back to the camera masters, the BPAV files and wrap to .mxf.
If you're using edit master, you could open up the projects in FCP7 and simply re-export to Apple ProRes which can be played back on Windows. FCP7, with the Sony plugin, also can export to XDCAM EX .mp4 which can be used in some NLEs.
You could weigh that against using FCPX, which I do. It's different but it works fine unless you have specific workflow demands it's still weak at.

BTW there's no issue with the codec on Windows. You exported Quicktime wrapped files. It's not a workflow Sony forces anyone to use and, as noted above, there are other options including .mp4 export provided by Sony.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]