FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Error. Please help

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toon Verhoeven
Import Error. Please help
on Nov 11, 2008 at 10:22:29 pm

Since I'm interested in buying a Sony EX1, I made some shots in the store and imported them (BPAV) onto my Macbook Pro. I've been trying for days to import them into Final Cut Pro but without any result.

Using XDCAM Transfer 2.7.0 shows the clips but when I choose 'import' this message shows:
'Import Error. NewTrackMedia(TimeMediaType)'.
If I use 'Log and Capture' the whole FCP application quits.

I searched on the internet but haven't found any solution.
My setup is:
Macbook Pro, 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
OSX Leopard 10.5.5
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
XDCAM Transfer 2.7.0 (but also tried 2.1.0 and 2.5.1)

Any suggestions are welcome!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Import Error. Please help
on Nov 12, 2008 at 6:49:49 pm

[Toon Verhoeven] "Using XDCAM Transfer 2.7.0 shows the clips but when I choose 'import' this message shows:
'Import Error. NewTrackMedia(TimeMediaType)'.
If I use 'Log and Capture' the whole FCP application quits. "

Welcome to Creative COW. Can you actually view the EX clips in the Transfer Tool window? And play them back without issue? But when you highlight one of them and click "Import" you get the error you've described?

- Don

Return to posts index

Toon Verhoeven
on Nov 12, 2008 at 7:41:59 pm

That's right Don, the error occurs when I press 'import'.
If I use the 'File -> Log and Transfer' than Final Cut Pro quits.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 12, 2008 at 8:59:29 pm

I'm afraid I haven't personally seen that error come up in all the times I've transferred EX clips. If you've copied the original BPAV folder over from the card to your hard drive and haven't altered the contents of the folder in any way then it should work. If the clips are not importing without an error then there's a corruption in one or more files within the BPAV folder, which is quite rare. Check to make sure that the memory card was a Sony SxS Pro card and not an unsupported 3rd party card.

Clip Browser 2 has the capability to re-create a BPAV folder from the EX-native .mp4 files. You might try that. Another way to trouble shoot this is to find colleague that's also able to work with EX files and try out your BPAV folder on their system. If you get the same error then there's something wrong with the BPAV folder. If it does work then there's something amiss with your system.

Rest assured that the workflow to transfer EX files for use in FCP is one of the simplest and easiest tasks out of all the flash memory-based cameras available including Panasonic P2, so don't get discouraged by this hiccup.

- Don

Return to posts index

Toon Verhoeven
on Nov 12, 2008 at 10:50:48 pm

Thanks very much for your help, I've been struggling for days and it makes me quite desperate.
A colleague already worked with the same files and had no problem at all.
I hope one day the sun will shine again. Let's hope someone has the answer.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
More suggestions needed for import issue
on Nov 13, 2008 at 2:12:05 am

Since we now know it's something to do with your particular system couple here's a few more things you could try starting in order of easiest and least expensive:

- copy the BPAV folder to different hard drive and try the import again.
- fix permissions on your startup drive using Apple's Disk Utility
- If you don't have a copy of DiskWarrior get it and rebuild the directory of the hard drive where your BPAV folder is residing. No FCP editor and heavy Mac user should be without this program, anyway.

The fact that you're getting an import error may be because the directory of that particular hard drive is corrupt. These are all just guesses because as I said earlier, I've not run into this problem before.

- Don

Return to posts index

Aiden Finn
on Nov 14, 2008 at 3:36:15 pm

I'm sure I've heard of something similar to this although I can't find the link.

I think the problem might be caused by an incompatible third-party QuickTime component interfering with the transfer tool.

You might want to check the contents of the /Library/QuickTime and ~/Library/QuickTime folders (~ represents your home directory) for any non-essential files. In particular anything that's not part of the normal FCP install might be the culprit.

You can test this by quitting the transfer tool, moving one of the .component files out of that folder, restarting the transfer tool and trying the import again. After repeating this a few times you might find it just starts working and you'll have found the problem file.

Hope that helps !

Return to posts index

Toon Verhoeven
on Nov 14, 2008 at 6:01:21 pm

Problem solved! Thanx Aiden, it was the third-party QuickTime component ZyGoTimeCode.component that caused the problem.
Also many thanx to Don.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 14, 2008 at 9:05:55 pm

Hi Aiden,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your knowledge with this elusive issue. If and when an XDCAM EX FAQ is produced for this forum I'll be sure to have the QT Component solution included. You've contributed important information. And welcome to Creative COW.

- Don

Return to posts index

Aiden Finn
on Nov 14, 2008 at 10:19:02 pm

Thanks Don, glad I could help !

Return to posts index

sergei toscani
on Apr 4, 2009 at 12:05:04 am

I was having the exact same problem. I found this thread on google. It worked out precisely the same for me. I just didn't have to haul through, testing all the 3rd party components. I went straight to zygo timecode component.

"timecode media type" - was also in the error box - i didn't put it into google when i made the search though.

Thanks for the help. These forums and the IT online community that contribute their knowledge... is a beautiful thing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]