FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 or HVRZ7U?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Taylor
EX1 or HVRZ7U?
on Nov 10, 2008 at 8:09:53 am

I am upgrading my company to shoot all High Definition and I want to do it right the first time so that I won't need to do it for 3-4 years. The questions is will an EX1 and a HVRZ7U match up OK. Since I can't afford 2 EX1's I am trying to get the best of both worlds. Any advice on either camera would be appreciated! Is HDV considered a professional format?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX1 or HVRZ7U?
on Nov 10, 2008 at 8:47:41 am

[Jason Taylor] "Is HDV considered a professional format?"

It all depends on who you talk to. Some would say no it isn't but then there are programs like Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" that's shot using the Sony Z1U (so I've been told). One thing you can always count on though, is that content is king and if you tell a story that is irresistible to a broadcast network you could probably shoot it on a cellphone and they'd take it.

There will be a difference in picture quality between the 2 cameras you're considering even if you use the EX in HDV mode. By its very nature the EX will have more resolution because of there being more pixels on its imagers. Some would argue that the EX picture is closer to the Sony F900 than it is to the Z7U.

Do your homework and decide which cameras to buy depending on what content you're shooting. What content you need depends on the market you're targeting. And take both cameras you're considering out for test drives because that's the only way you'll know for sure which ones will do the job for you. What Derek in the HDV forum suggested to you about testing is great advice.

Hope this helps.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1 or HVRZ7U?
on Nov 10, 2008 at 2:54:43 pm

I think it would difficult but not impossible to match footage from these two cameras. Might be worth getting two of the same just to avoid all that extra work in the long run though. That's what credit cards are for, right?

Noa

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]