FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 workflow to SD 4:3 in Media 100

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olof ekbergh
EX3 workflow to SD 4:3 in Media 100
on Nov 10, 2008 at 12:39:44 am

Since Media100 does not play XD EX footage in a timeline or from a bin but it needs to be transcoded, it is a pain to work on old M100 projects or projects with a lot of SD 4:3 material already in the can, to be delivered in SD 4:3.

I am trying to come up with the best workflow, this is how I do it now:

Step 1:
After using Sony XDcam transfer to rewrap footage to .mov, it can now be played in FCP 6.0.4 (I also archive footage on Bluray disc at this point, and enter it into a Filemaker DB with screen shots, description etc.

I drop all the clips into a FCP project and decide on clips and part of clips to use (mark in/out points) and export by reference.

Step 2:
Create a new M100 project in HD (typically 1080i) and import all the ref clips into a new bin, it is then transcoded, I now use Prores422HQ.

If I have a lot of clips this can take a few hrs.

Step 3:
Create a new SD 4:3 program and drop all the clips in there, I then let M100 conform the clips (typically crop) and uncheck the re-aquire later box.

If I have a lot of clips this can take a few hrs.

Step 4:
I create a new bin, name it SD 4:3 versions and drag the clips in there.

I have not been able to set up compressor or Sorensen Suite to do this automatically, the both crash after a few clips are converted.

And the new M100 XML import does not work right yet. It converts to SD 16:9 (this lowers the quality if I then crop to 4:3). I am talking to M100 about these issues.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I use M100 HDe v13 on a 2.66GHZ Mac Pro 5GB ram 12TB Promise RAID atto card.

I also use M100 producer v13 in the field on a 17" MBP 4MB ram lots of FW800 drives, and a LaCie Bluray burner.
I have a new MBP brick but sony's SxS driver does not work on it yet.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]