FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Import Error - invalid SMPTE key

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leach
XDCAM Import Error - invalid SMPTE key
on Nov 6, 2008 at 4:20:46 am

When I try to import video using XDCAM Transfer 2.1.0 I get an import error invalid SPMTE key. I can power through it sometimes and the clip imports... but it runs a chance of having what look like tape hits in the video. I was running version 1.1... so I updated to 2.1.0 hoping that would fix it. I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I read that a should do a clean OS install... what do you think? Thanks in advance...

Mike
IMac Intel Core 2 Duo
2.8 GHz/2 GB Memory

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: XDCAM Import Error - invalid SMPTE key
on Nov 6, 2008 at 5:31:53 am

download version 2.7

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Leach
on Nov 6, 2008 at 12:43:12 pm

i downloaded 2.7... still have the same issues. :(

mike

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 6, 2008 at 3:08:27 pm

Michael

Try creating a new OS X user account on your Mac, then log in to that new account and test the transfer app again. Do you still get the same errors?

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 19, 2009 at 3:45:44 pm

I am getting the same error message, but only with a few clips, the rest import fine. I am using the Sony XDCAM transfer software version 2.9.0. The error reads "Import Error" "Error reading file 'C0026.MXF' (Invalid SMPTE key - then a string of numbers and letters)". I really need to get these clips in. How can I get around it?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2009 at 3:59:58 pm

You might tell us a little about the source as .MXF is only the wrapper.
There are many flavors of XDCAM these days.

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 19, 2009 at 4:10:04 pm

I am only the editor, so I don't know exactly what camera it was shot with, although in the XDCAM transfer tool, it seems to be telling me it was maybe a Sony PDW-F350. In any case, the footage is PAL, 1080p25. What other information would you like?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2009 at 4:40:03 pm

[Arielle Amsalem] " Sony PDW-F350. In any case, the footage is PAL, 1080p25"
That's the key bit. Thanks. In past versions of XDCAM Transfer there was an issue with certain frame rates so I'm wondering if Sony reintroduced a bug.
Are you finding this with all files from this camera/shoot or just a specific file?

Do you have a non Final Cut system to test on? Download this demo and test
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

or this demo on the FCP system itself
http://www.telestream.net/mxf-final-cut-pro/mxf-component-xdcam.htm

If either of these can read the file, you'll know the file is good and the likely culprit is Sony's XDCAM Transfer.

If XDCAM Transfer is the problem, you'll have to try reverting back to 2.8 or even 2.7.1
If the file is bad, you'll probably want to get the XDCAM disc it came from and do the the copy yourself.

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 19, 2009 at 5:18:31 pm

It's only a handful of files, all of them from different shoots. The rest of the files from those shoots are working fine though. I don't have another system to test it on, but used the flip4mac link you sent and it seems to be working. I reverted back to version 2.5.1 of xdcam transfer and it is still giving me the error message. However much I need those clips, I can't afford to pay $500 for the full version of flip4mac's plug-in... anything else I can use to get them into FCP?

Also, the XDCAM disks don't seem to be available to me, I think they were re-used. All I have is what they had transfered onto the drives.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2009 at 5:36:43 pm

[Arielle Amsalem] ". I reverted back to version 2.5.1 of xdcam transfer and it is still giving me the error message."

2.5.1 was one of the versions that had time code problem. Go to 2.7 or 2.8.

[Arielle Amsalem] "but used the flip4mac link you sent and it seems to be working."
At least that tells us the files are good. That must mean the issue is with XDCAM Transfer. Try going back the XDCAM transfer versions above.

[Arielle Amsalem] "It's only a handful of files, all of them from different shoots. The rest of the files from those shoots are working fine though."

This is important. What's different about the failing files? Corrupted metadata? Different settings such as Timelapse or under/overcrank. Could these be split clips? Clock time code? All may involve a metadata issue. The fact that you're getting invalid SMPTE key might indicate that.

Again try XDCAM Transfer 2.7.1 or 2.8 ASAP.

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 19, 2009 at 6:40:13 pm

So far as I can tell, there's nothing different about these clips, but again, I wasn't at the shoot.

I can't find a download of 2.7.1 or 2.8. I managed to download 2.7.0 but still got the error message. On the Sony UK site when I found the download pages for 2.7.1 and 2.8 there was no download button, it just directed me to the latest version (2.9).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 19, 2009 at 7:08:02 pm

This lists all versions.
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software-model-PDZKP1.aspx

You may need to register first to get access
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/default.aspx
Registration is free for software downloads.

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 19, 2009 at 7:36:08 pm

Ok, so I just downloaded and tried both versions of the XDCAM import (2.7.1 and 2.8). Still had the problem with both! Any other softwares I can try maybe?

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Mar 20, 2009 at 4:08:33 pm

Sorry for your troubles... Your error message sounded vaguely familiar so I did a search of the archives and found this message/thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/855472#855480. Have you tried running Software Update?

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 20, 2009 at 5:47:53 pm

I have tried the importing on both of my computers, one running 10.5.6 and the other on 10.4.11, So I don't think it's an operating system issue. But still they are both up to date with all the software updates.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2009 at 4:24:16 pm

So apparently it is a problem with the file itself in none of Sony's XDCAM Transfer tools can handle it. It would seem to be a metadata issue that apparently Flip4Mac MXF import ignores but Sony's Transfer tool needs.

Do you have a non FCP system you can try the calibratedsoftware with?
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp
It's a lot less expensive than Flip4Mac MXF import. If it works you may be able to convert or rewrap on a non FCP system to a usable file with FCP.

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
on Mar 20, 2009 at 6:14:14 pm

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you ask if I have another system... do you mean another edit software? In any case, I downloaded the calibrated software that you provided a link to and successfully opened the first 30 seconds of the video in quicktime player. From there, I exported a quicktime with the same settings as the original file (Apple XDCAM HD 1080p25 (35 Mb/s VBR), 1440 x 1080.) And the quicktime I exported I could bring into FCP. I am probably getting at least a little quality loss doing it this way, right? But at least I can now edit the footage, and it is a small percentage of the footage that I will have to do this with. Also, Calibratedsoftware is much more within our budget.

Thanks for all your help Craig.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 20, 2009 at 7:01:05 pm

[Arielle Amsalem] "Ok, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you ask if I have another system"

Calibrated software says their plugins should only be used on non FCP systems otherwise it will conflict with FCP installed codecs so you might want to pull the plugin from your Quicktime folder after use.

It's interesting that both Calibrated and Flip4Mac are able to handle an MXF that Sony's XDCAM Transfer did not.

I think you should contact Sony with a bug report and send them one file as an example of the issue.

[Arielle Amsalem] "I am probably getting at least a little quality loss doing it this way, right?"
Probably some loss since it's a re-encode rather than rewrap. Sony should have a re-wrap solution though. In the case of XDCAM EX for example, if the BPAV metadata has issues one can take the raw .mp4 and create a new BPAV folder which can then be re-wrapped as .mov for FCP use. Even if the issue is metadata embedded in the .mxf there should be a way to pull out the raw media to re-wrap. Obviously Calibrated and Flip4Mac can do it so you'd think Sony's own software should be able to do the same.

Great that Calibrated presented an affordable solution because I'm sure somebody somewhere else is bumping into the same issue as you.

Return to posts index

Rich Wandover
on Oct 10, 2010 at 1:32:16 am

In your XD Cam Import software mark a in point and a out point then import to your project. That worked for me tonight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]