FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony SxS Card Issue with Mac Book Pro (Late 2008)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Torv Carlsen
Sony SxS Card Issue with Mac Book Pro (Late 2008)
on Nov 4, 2008 at 1:57:37 am

After much hair pulling, Sony has confirmed to me that there is an issue with the SxS card driver that is available on the Sony web site when used with the newly released Mac Book Pro. What happens is that after installing the SxS driver you restart the computer and it takes an inordinately long time to reboot, typically 3-5 minutes in the blue screen that comes up after the Apple logo with the spinning gear (which also seems to take a bit too long). I called Sony and asked them about this and they informed me that it has something to do with Apple's new trackpad. They said they are working on a fix, but have no timeline as to when it will become available. They said the workaround for now is to use the USB cable to move footage to the computer.

Nevertheless, despite the slow reboots the card is visible on the desktop and is recognized when I launch FCP. You just have to be really patient when restarting.

Return to posts index

bob jackson
Re: Sony SxS Card Issue with Mac Book Pro (Late 2008)
on Nov 4, 2008 at 2:01:01 am

I was planning on buying a new macpro 15" this week.
Lets hope there is a fix soon.
Maybe i should wait.

vidiot

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:20:50 am

Yes, I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Oliver Neubert
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:46:00 pm

Same problem here...

the card does not even show up in finder, even though I have installed the "snow leopard" SXS driver from Sony. v1045050

pffffhhhh...

Return to posts index

john colangelo
on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:26:59 pm

my biggest fear before making the jump to the xdcam format was having to depend on sony software. i am now living that nightmare. i know i can buy an external reader or tie up the camera and connect it via USB, but the whole idea was to simplify my workflow. my internal expresscard is useless until Sony comes up with a fix.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 7, 2010 at 11:19:37 pm

Using an SDHC adaptor makes life so much easier.
MxR, MxM, Hoodman and Sandisk Extreme 10 and your life will be simple. Sony should have their on SDHC adaptor in the next few weeks as well.

Return to posts index

Dick Harrewijn
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:24:57 pm

hi oliver! I'm facing the same problem, WITH the same driver. Did you find a solution?

;) Dick

Return to posts index

Oliver Neubert
on Sep 24, 2010 at 11:24:09 pm

If I want to transfer footage to my MacBook Pro directly from the SxS cards, I have to uninstall VLC and any other similar player ( thete is one that calls itself the swiss army knife of players) anyway - I uninstall all of them and then install the SxS driver, reboot, transfer the cards and deinstall the driver again, because with the SxS driver installed, my MacBook Pro becomes extremely sluggish...
Its really annoying but the only solution I found so far...

Return to posts index

Dick Harrewijn
on Sep 25, 2010 at 9:02:33 am

Very weird! Especially because I wasn't able to read the card on a completely clean laptop (new harddrive). But after 3 times reboot the sxs card suddenly apeared on the desktop. Since then no problem (jet).

Maybe there is something wrong with your pci slot. I would contact a service center. I dont think your workflow was the workflow Sony had in mind with the sxs cards :)

Thx for the reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]