ex3 live advice

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Morton
ex3 live advice
on Nov 3, 2008 at 9:12:22 pm

I need some advice.

I am using the ex3 for recording interviews..etc. for my church
as well as using it as a live camera for Sunday Services.

we have an echolab switcher which is ntsc only. i am going from the
monitor out into the switcher and am noticing that the lag is too high
compared to our other cameras. As well, we use it in full auto mode
and i am noticing that we are having trouble with the gain. The lights
are fairly consistent but still it is washing out the image.

I am assuming this is the down-conversion process on the camera..

What would you suggest to fix the lag issue?? is there an external
down-converter that would help me?? is there something else??

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely
Sean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: ex3 live advice
on Nov 4, 2008 at 8:22:15 pm

Yeah that or maybe delay the other sources. I'd suggest you upgrade your video mixer hardware more than anything. Some can accept HD-SDI directly and perform the downconvert to properly mix with standard definition sources.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Rob Lahoda
Re: ex3 live advice
on Nov 9, 2008 at 2:55:23 pm

I completely understand your problem of trying to fit new gear into old equipment. I'm the staff in charge of our live production at my church and we're running an old presentation switcher (talk about lag, ugh!!!) that doesn't even accept analog component HD.

According to the Sony XDCAM-EX brochure, the camera can output a downconverted SDI signal. If you run that through either a Blackmagic or AJA mini converter to convert to analog, that should solve your problem.

We're running the opposite problem since we've just purchased the Panasonic AV-HS400a HD-SDI switcher. We don't have any SDI sources, so we're converting most of the sources over. The benefit for us is that we can start wiring for HD and add in components as time goes on. So we're running our SD camera into a converter that is outputting SDI to go into the switcher.

The Blackmagic converters can do HD or SD and you can set the output to be component, composite or S-Video (over 2 BNC's) so you should be able to get that into your switcher.

For the gain issue, you might want to run everything on auto except the gain. That might get rid of the exposure problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]