FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM EX3 CCD to Film Back for Boujou

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darwin Go
Sony XDCAM EX3 CCD to Film Back for Boujou
on Nov 3, 2008 at 12:26:28 am

Hi!

I have tried to search for an answer here at the forum and can't find one. so thought id ask you experts on this problem im having regarding boujou and Sony EX3 CCD

we shot footage with the Sony EX3 at 1920x1080 and its coming in to AE and FCP as square pixel and thats good. now this shot has to be 3d tracked and we are currently using boujou to do the job. in boujou camera settings there is a field there that lets you input what kind of film back you shot the footage with. i need to know what size is the CCD for Sony EX3 that would correspond to a 16:9 Square aspect ratio. i got info from sony's website that it is 2/3 inch square. but 1920x1080 isn't square at all. just puzzled on what to put on the boujou settings, and if anyone might now, it would be a big help!

Cheers!

Darwin

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Sony XDCAM EX3 CCD to Film Back for Boujou
on Nov 3, 2008 at 4:48:43 am

[Darwin Go] "i need to know what size is the CCD for Sony EX3 that would correspond to a 16:9 Square aspect ratio."

Hi Darwin,

You had all the information you needed for your answer contained in your question. The EX imager(s) are in the 16:9 shape with an effective pixel count of 1920X1080 square pixels. Sony defines the chip size as 1/2". It's the effective pixel count in the 16:9 aspect that you want to plug into your text field.

FYI the EX sensors are CMOS and not CCD.

Hope this helps.

Don

Return to posts index

Darwin Go
on Nov 4, 2008 at 12:08:48 am

Hey Don,

Cheers bro! thanks for confirming the aspect ratio it was a big help. we did our math yesterday and came up with this as the actual dimension of the Cmos sensor.

.5 inch CMOS sensor

Width= .4359 inches
Height= .2451 inches

if you would be kind enough to check it out as well.

thanks again!

Darwin

Return to posts index

matthieu robert
on Jan 9, 2009 at 6:57:21 pm

Hi Darwin,

actually, the chip size is note the same as its "size name"
1/2" is not a 1/2" chip. It's the size of the ring holding the chip. (it's a historic reason).
Per exemple, a 2/3" Scarlett chip is actually 10.1 x 5.35mm. It's smaller than 2/3", even if you considerate 2/3" as the diagonal.

So based on that, a 1/2" EX3 chip would be 7.575mm x 4,261mm

Anyway, Boujou can work without this information, unless you want to tell him the focal length.

By the way, is your EX3 chip perfectly centered ?
Mine is pretty off centered, I can clearly see it when I zoom, the center of the image is moving a bit (easy to see when you active the center mark in the LCD)

I m talking about that because the center of the perspective is very important when you do 3d tracking jobs.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 9, 2009 at 10:43:14 pm

It's unlikely that the chip is "off center", what you're noticing is tracking error in the zoom lens. This is quite common, even in expensive cine zooms.

JS

Return to posts index

matthieu robert
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:05:52 pm

Hi everyone.
I have an EX3 (similar to EX1 here).
I would like to know if anyone has try to do some 3d tracking with ex3's shot.
I ve corrected the barrel distortion and off center with a Mokey calibration, but Boujou is not enable to find any good solution...

So I'm wondering if the issue came from de CMOS sensor and its rolling shutter.

thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]