FORUMS: list search recent posts

backup archive.....

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wollsey
backup archive.....
on Nov 1, 2008 at 9:51:33 pm

Hi,

I am working out the post workflow for a SONY XDCAM EX project and have a question about a backup archive.

I plan to create two copies of the BPAV folders on separate drives, and then there will be two separate copies of the quicktimes which we make from Log and Transfer, also on two additional separate drives.

The first step will be to copy the BPAV folder from the SxS card using XDCAM EX Clip Browser, each BPAV folder contained in a uniquely named folder. Once this is done, should I also use the Clip Browser application to make the backup copy of the BPAV folder on another drive, or at that stage is it fine to just drag my unique folder containing the BPAV to the other drive on the OSX finder level?

Thanks

PW

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: backup archive.....
on Nov 3, 2008 at 5:37:54 pm

It's ok on the finder level but there are tools which will do a verified copy just to be extra secure such as:

http://www.imagineproducts.com/ShotPut_EXpress.html

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Adrian Vallis
on Nov 4, 2008 at 1:21:23 am

Just wondering if the Shotput Xpress software is a standard thing most people are using for archiving their BPAV footage during a shoot...?. Have users found it to be reliable and useful? I am designing a workflow and would like to decide on one method and stick with it for the shoot be able to make a final decision before we buy the software and the shoot begins.

http://www.adrianvallis.com

[ color grading / online / offline editorial ]

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 4, 2008 at 4:07:39 pm

I'm still working out these details myself. Shotput looks pretty cool if you are cranking out cards and want a utility to make quick, methodical backups. In our case I think we're going to go the route of using Clip Browser to consolidate the cards from each shoot.

One thing about shooting cards that you reformat and reuse with a quick turnaround is that each card's ID really isn't all that useful. An exception might be if you are trying to track down a faulty card...but that might manifest itself when using error correction during shot transfer.

I like the idea of Shotput reformatting and renaming the card when it's done, but again I don't know how useful that really is if you're reusing a card every hour or two.

I remain convinced so far that we're going to use the following workflow on each location: a) use Clip Browser to consolidate the clips (with CRC) to a common directory assigned for that day's shoot; and b) use XDCAM Transfer to assemble any split clips and re-wrap the footage as .MOV files for use. I do plan to copy to a second drive as a backup in the field, and it's nice that Shotput will automate that process...but so far it looks like the Sony tools are quite capable. If we find shortcomings there that Shotput or other software addresses, then we'll look at that solution.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 4, 2008 at 6:08:06 pm

I think it really comes down to how much you're willing to invest in your workflow. The Sony tools are solid enough(and free) but Shotput being a premium, paid product comes with more frequent feature updates and customer support. I think it's worth the extra coing considering the relative cost compared to the camera and cards and how expensive any sort of reshoot would ever be for most of us.

-Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 5, 2008 at 3:54:30 pm

"I think it really comes down to how much you're willing to invest in your workflow."

Sure, but throwing money at it doesn't necessarily make it better. In our case, I'm leaning toward consolidating our cards as we transfer them. Just glancing at the description of Shotput, I don't see that available. I'm going to fill out the lengthy form and get a demo copy to look at, for sure.

Automatic copying, formatting, and renaming sure looks cool if you're cranking out full SxS cards all day. Copying to multiple locations automatically looks sweet, because there's no way I'm coming home with only one copy of my offloaded footage.

It sure looks like a handy tool, but I don't think the workflow using only the Sony tools is broken. I look forward to seeing how the demo shapes up. If it's as useful a piece of software as you suggest, it's well worth the price...even if it's only occasionally used.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]