FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate clip numbers on card?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gilmour
Duplicate clip numbers on card?
on Oct 31, 2008 at 6:06:25 pm

Hi. I'm a production manager in a small creative house, and we just purchased an EX-3 a couple of weeks ago.

I sent the camera out on a 2 day shoot with 8, 16, and 32 gig cards, as well as the 60 gig HDD, with a 250 gig backup mirrored drive.

The original clips were backed up on the mirrored drive by inserting the cards into a Macbook pro, and dragging the BPAV folder directly from the card to the drive. After the producer had verified that the clips were on the hard drive using clip browser, the card when re-used was erased in the camera.

Problem being, I am noticing that the camera (after setting the first three letters of the clips to the project code) after recording the first card ***_0001_01 to ***0081_1 then named clips on the second card ***_0042_01 to ***_0071_1. According to the producer and shooter, no camera reset was done. The rest of the clips that came back were named properly in sequence.

1) Anyone experienced this phantom clip renaming?
2) Now I need to rename 81 clips - any suggestions how to rename these (5 items in each clip folder) quickly?

Thanks

dave

Return to posts index

Scott Rob
Re: Duplicate clip numbers on card?
on Dec 2, 2008 at 3:34:41 pm

We have had this problem too. We found it when merging folders together in preparation for editing. We have not been able to figure out how to batch rename either.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:17:29 pm

We have 3-EX3's and 1-EX1 and haven't have any issues yet. I set the 4 digit clip name with an A for A camera somewhere in those 4 digits and so on for the other cameras on a project. I hope you aren't mixing BPAV folders together in the same folder. You must keep the BPAV folder for every card in a separate folder and name it accordingly (Project ?? A cam-Card#1). On multi day shoots it helps to rename the clip digits each day with a number as one of the digits and start with a fresh card to manage the data, this will help to find out when you had an issue. On the EX3 you can even start the clip counter at say 200 for day two of your shoot and keep the 4 digits for camera and project coding.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dave Gilmour
on Feb 11, 2009 at 8:28:26 pm

OK, it's happened again. This time was during a shoot where we needed an extra 15 minutes space to finish up a location, and put in a card that was used the previous day, but had the space available. The clip counter jumped back 30 numbers (instead of 1052, jumped back to 1032).

For the record, this issue is happening within the camera, no renumbering of clips is being done by user. The error is identifies during the backup/import process at the studio.

Always happens during a shoot, there's no practical time to check if the numbers are correct, except during set-up, where I check the clip counter to make sure we are at the right starting point. The camera is supposed to increment the clip counter by 1 every time the record button is pressed, we use a custom 4 digits at the head (i.e. HA01_) and will increment the 1 to 2, and so on when we get close to 9,999 so each clip has a unique number.

Have spoken with Sony a couple of times now, and they seem mystified. Only solution they have proposed so far is to send them the camera so that they can upgrade the operating system, and that takes minimum 2 weeks.

Anybody that has experienced this, and knows of a good workflow work-around, please respond.

Dave

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:06:51 pm

Hi Dave,

We had the same problem. Here is Sony's response to our inquiry;

"None of the engineers I've spoken with have been able to reproduce the anomaly you reported, or think of what combination of events could have caused it.

If it happens again, please let us know as quickly as possible, and well see if there's any additional troubleshooting data that can be gathered."

Thankfully, it hasn't happened again, but we're obviously pretty troubled by this glitch. Has this happened to anyone else? More importantly, can anyone re-create this?

Keeping our fingers crossed.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Chris Hartman
on Dec 12, 2009 at 1:49:17 am

We are having the same issue with 2 ex3's. We have come to the conclusion that it does not have anything to do with jamming sync or batt changes. Could it be an issue with spanned clips. here is a link to the sony transfer plug in window in FCP 6.05.

The clip in reference in the image is clip 279 at the top of the window and again at the bottom.

http://gallery.me.com/chrish1233#100117/example%20of%20dulicate%20clip%20na...

We have also ruled out an FCP issue for this is the same way it appears in the raw bpav folders.

Chrish1233@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gilmour
on Dec 18, 2009 at 8:40:54 pm

We had the firmware upgraded on the camera about 6 months ago, and that seemed to clear up the problem.

Return to posts index

Chris Hartman
on Dec 29, 2009 at 2:11:12 am

How do we go about updating the firmware. Can we do it ourselves or does it have to be sent to Sony?

Chrish1233@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 29, 2009 at 2:17:22 am

Up until now the only legit way to update firmware was through Sony. That will change with the EX1R and PMW-350. The EX1 and EX3 may also allow user updates, at the user's risk of course if you brick the camera.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jun 22, 2010 at 1:53:40 pm

This just happened to me for the first time. We reformatted the cards and the EX1 went back about 60 clips and started from there. Bummer. Will have to rename them by hand I guess.

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave Gilmour
on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:23:06 pm

Total bummer.

We have not had this happen again after the firmware upgrade we had done almost a year ago. Guess that was the answer.

Dave Gilmour
Hyperactive Productions
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:18:44 pm

I'm afraid to try the 1.20 firmware upgrade after hearing about so many "bricked" camcorders. I'm using 1.11.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:33:45 pm

Sony will do the upgrade for about $130.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jun 23, 2010 at 1:06:27 pm

I assume that means shipping it to Teaneck NJ?

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:21:26 pm

Or driving there . I'm a little over 30 minutes away. Shipping is a pain and there is a DIY option but I just don't like the risk (however small) of bricking.

Return to posts index

Dan Colins
on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:20:14 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it while searching this same error. At first we didn't know why it happened, but while troubleshooting our camera op had remembered that he noticed the AC accidentally pull the battery without powering down the camera (we're running AB on it). He did a test and was able to recreate the duplicate clip numbers. If a battery gets pulled without a proper power down, then the next card's clip numbers repeat.

Hope that helps anyone who come across this in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]