FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing Files when added to XDCAM transfer program

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd VanSlyck
Missing Files when added to XDCAM transfer program
on Oct 30, 2008 at 2:44:31 pm

I've been working with the EX1 for about a month with no problems until now. I got the camera before I got my new Mac, so I was storing the clips on a network drive, which is backed up regularly.
Here's what I did that I believe is causing the problem. Instead of creating a unique folder for every card, I was going inside the BPAV folder, navigating to the CPLR folder, which held the unique clip folders. I would then add those clips to the existing BPAV/CPLR folder. So essentially I was just adding more clips inside the same folder. Which worked fine until apparently the XDCAM transfer software can only handle a certain amount of clips. The software will only load 474 of the 600 clips that are present. I've tried moving some of the clip folders to another folder to break it up, but the software doesn't like that. I'm not sure what to do. The clips are there, I just can't access them.
tvs

Mac G5 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS Version 10.5.5
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop CS3
Sony EX-1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Missing Files when added to XDCAM transfer program
on Oct 30, 2008 at 4:09:03 pm

You may be missing metadata for some clips. You may be missing SMI files that link clips together.

In the BPAV there is the CLPR folder but there's also a CUEUP.XML, MEDIAPRO.XML file as well as a TAKR folder, which you wouldn't have if you only saved CLPR.

If you can get at 474 of the clips, can you figure out, deductively which clips are not showing up?
If so, you may be able to use ClipBrowser2 to import the 126 or so MP4. It will then create new BPAV folders for them (with new metadata).

You should spend some time reading the ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer PDF manuals to understand why you need the entire BPAV folder. People should really take the most conservative approach IMHO. These are your camera masters.

Use ClipBrowser2 with CRC to copy SxS cards. Doing it by hand can work but that'll open the door to mistakes and increase the risk of corrupted copies.

Back up to the most secure media you can think of. Currently at least one copy should live on Optical Disc (high quality discs!). Some will use hard drive (too risky for that to be only copy IMHO given the possibility of crash or accidental deletion). Some will use RAID (for redundancy, not speed) this is a bit better.

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyck
Re: Missing Files when added to XDCAM transfer program
on Oct 30, 2008 at 6:12:34 pm

"If you can get at 474 of the clips, can you figure out, deductively which clips are not showing up?
If so, you may be able to use ClipBrowser2 to import the 126 or so MP4. It will then create new BPAV folders for them (with new metadata)."

I have tried importing them individually but because there is no metadata for them, the folder shows up empty.

Also, how do I import with CRC? I've searched the XDCAM software pdf and searched the web and all I can find (mostly from you) is "use CRC". I've looked in prefs and have found nothing. Is that different from just importing?

Mac G5 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS Version 10.5.5
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop CS3
Sony EX-1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]