FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing from Proxies

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Brecknock
Editing from Proxies
on Oct 28, 2008 at 8:47:49 pm

I want to be able to play/edit the proxies within Prem pro, retaining the timecode for edl export. The high res. chokes up my laptop, anyone know how to handle that or is there a quick transcode software to that can batch convert them or the hi res files...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Editing from Proxies
on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:12:07 pm

35mbps VBR chokes your laptop? Premiere Pro is cross platform so you might tell us a little bit more about your laptop capabilities and exactly how it's choking.

I'd also like to see one of the major compression apps support TC Burn in from source files with metadata.

BTW are you dealing with MXF or MP4 (EX) source files?

Return to posts index

Tony Brecknock
on Oct 28, 2008 at 11:50:43 pm

yep, what can I tell you, I have a fairly new HP pavilion dv 9700 HP 64x2 turion 3gig ram on vista home sp1 with a nvidia geforce 7150M , I copy off the clips .mxf and open a job in ppro and import the .mxf's, they come in fine but on multi cam or general playback they are jerky and the audio drop out. the project is sony XDCAM HD/EX SP (1080i). even with the viewers in draft mode it jerks, I play the same clip on a similar desktop and no problem.

Tony

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 29, 2008 at 12:14:48 am

Hmm, SP, that's only 25mbps which is same data rate as DV (and HDV of course). Premiere Pro should be able to handle EX codec natively.

Import through Premier Pro File Import dialog from SxS card from its CLPR folder?

Are you using XDCAM EX timeline setting?

Have used DV with that system, HDV?

Could be it can't decode the Long GOP fast enough? How much free space on your hard drive?

Have you tried putting the media files on an external hard drive?

What version of Premiere Pro? CS3/3.2.0?

Have you looked at this? Just making sure it's not a workflow issue.
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/pdfs/PremierePro_xdcam_workflowguide...

Answer the above the best you can and I'll see if it points to anything.

Return to posts index

Tony Brecknock
on Oct 29, 2008 at 12:38:05 am

Import through Premier Pro File Import dialog from SxS card from its CLPR folder?
FILE IMPORT

Are you using XDCAM EX timeline setting?
AS A PROJECT SETTING - WHAT DO YOU MEAN TIMELINE SETTING?

Have used DV with that system, HDV?
YEP AND IT WORKED FINE

Could be it can't decode the Long GOP fast enough? How much free space on your hard drive?
LOTS

Have you tried putting the media files on an external hard drive?
YEP NO DIF.

What version of Premiere Pro? CS3/3.2.0?
CS3

Tony

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 29, 2008 at 12:36:59 am

[Tony Brecknock] "Are you using XDCAM EX timeline setting?
AS A PROJECT SETTING - WHAT DO YOU MEAN TIMELINE SETTING? "

Meant project setting. Actually is the setting specific to SP mode and not HQ mode?
The EX can record 1080i in either SP or HQ mode.

[Tony Brecknock] "Have used DV with that system, HDV?
YEP AND IT WORKED FINE "

Yes to HDV? HDV and XDCAM EX SP mode are essentially the same. The only difference is that HDV is MPEG audio whereas EX SP is PCM. The video is the same though. The demands on the system are about the same.

This is odd since if your system can handle HDV without issue, EX SP should be just as easy.
Double check the project setting because that's the only thing that comes to mind given your answers.
It should be XDCAM EX 1080i 60i (SP) [or 50i if you're PAL]. Make sure you didn't chose HQ or XDCAM HD 1080i30 (60i).

This may all be self evident to you but I'm just thinking of things not clear in your answer as well as what the pitfalls might be.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 29, 2008 at 3:13:14 am

Yeah I'd argue a 35 Mbit signal is already close to what many more robust editing systems would consider a proxy format. I'd suggest beefing up your system. If it can't even handle that low a data rate you're going to be wasting a lot of your precious time and energy on waiting for renders, etc...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Tony Brecknock
on Oct 29, 2008 at 1:32:30 pm

Thanks for the responses guys however I think you are missing the point, it isn't that I online with ppro on a laptop - I work off of an adrenaline for that. It is more the fact that I can upload the proxies easily to field producers who with little editing training can take a log and turn it into a cut edl. Instead of working from a big bin and cutting away I can get them to do some cuts only base cutting and pump out an edl. They only have limited systems suitable for the proxy's and their biggest concern in the past was 'seeing' a content cut - if I can upload a 60 min discs proxy's at under 1 gig and they can pull them down and take log into a base cut edl I am shaving valuable time. It all works nicely IF they can cut with the proxy's...

Tony

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18:34 pm

Then I suggest getting a media management program to automatically create usable proxies for you. The one's the camera itself makes aren't going to cut it. On the Apple side I'd suggest Final Cut Server. I'm sure there's an equivalent on the PC side, probably something expensive from Avid or something...

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 29, 2008 at 2:48:57 pm

The problem here isn't the laptop or the SP material, I'm guessing it is that he is working directly off the laptop system drive that can't keep up especially if it is a 5400 rpm drive. I would first try an external drive.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Tony Brecknock
on Oct 29, 2008 at 2:39:19 pm

like a flash or usb 7200 drive - esata isn't an option...

Tony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]