FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
claudio manni
XDCAM Transfer
on Oct 27, 2008 at 9:45:39 pm

I hope someone can help me here...

When i startup my xdcam transfer to view my clips from my SxS cards I get error msgs saying that i am missing several codecs such as :xdcam imx codec, vbr codec and several others. Also, the XDCAM Transfer software can see my source but will not play my footage.

Where can i get all the appropriate codecs?

Thanks

Claud

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM Transfer
on Oct 27, 2008 at 11:12:08 pm

Welcome to Creative COW, Claud.

In order to help trouble shoot your problem it would help immensely to know what computer platform and editing software you're attempting to use. Once you provide that I would be happy to give you a hand.

- Don

Return to posts index

claudio manni
on Oct 28, 2008 at 3:15:51 am

Hey Don,

I am using a apple mac book pro.

Thanks for the reply

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 28, 2008 at 3:42:33 am

Claudio,
Answering one of two questions isn't enough information to help you. If you don't provide the exact computer model and editing software and its version along with current Quicktime and OSX versions it doesn't really help anyone help you. From what I'm reading on these forums is there could be an issue with recent MBP PCI express slots not reading the SxS card properly. I have a Mac Book Pro and it is great, never had an issue. But you don't know what MBP I have because I haven't identified it to you, got me...... Just because we both have MBP computers doesn't help solve issues. Don't be afraid to ask or answer any question here, know one is judging anyone concerning experience or level of equipment.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

claudio manni
on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:02:36 am

Thanks for being clear micheal,

I am using a Macbook Pro 2.2 ghz and XDCAM Transfer version 2.7.1 with Final Cut Pro 6.0.4

I just recently download a quicktime plug-in from the apple site called Calibrated{Q} MXF Import 1.2 to support some of the formats.
I also have the SXS Driver installed.

My XDCAM Transfer identifies a source and plays through a time code but with no video or audio.

I hope I haven't left anything out so you can better assist me.

thanks again,

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:26:26 am

What is your workflow to offload the footage from the SxS cards, how are you handling the files? Please include every detail.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:31:45 am

Also can you provide the Quicktime version and OSX version you are currently working with. I know Don keeps records on compatibility solutions.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 28, 2008 at 10:02:15 am

[claudio manni] "I just recently download a quicktime plug-in from the apple site called Calibrated{Q} MXF Import 1.2 to support some of the formats. "

If you have FCP v.6.0.4 you don't need any other XDCAM codecs to edit EX video files. Look in FCP's capture presets and you should see not only the standard XDCAM HD presets but also the XDCAM EX presets. There are differences between XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX codecs. Without those EX codecs listed in FCP's capture presets you will not be able to see the clips with the Sony Transfer Tool or edit EX material in FCP.

You can use Sony's Clip Browser software to view EX clips without having FCP on your machine. But you do need to have the following minimum software requirements:

Mac OS v.10.4.11
QT v.7.3.1
Sony FAM driver v.1.1.1

If your software meets or exceeds the above requirements then see if the Clip Browser displays your native .mp4 EX files. The Clip Browser is not for viewing EX files already converted to the MOV format, which is the codec used for editing in FCP. If it does display your .mp4 clips, but your Transfer Tool will not show your clips then there's a problem with either the Sony Transfer Tool or with FCP itself. Claud, did you try everything out before you installed "Callibrated Q"?

Some users are reporting problems with Sony's Transfer Tool v.2.7 depending on the OS and QT versions they're using. It would seem that the most reliable version that works with most everything on the Mac is v.2.5.1.

- Don

Return to posts index

claudio manni
on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:07:29 pm

Don,

thanks for the in-depth reply....

I meet all the specs you have outlined with my OSX, FCP and Quicktime. However when I launch XD Transfer I get the following error msg: MPEG IMX Codec...all the other codecs seem to be in place.

Also, when viewing my footage, I am sometimes seeing only the upper half of the picture. Have you seen that before? I am contemplating erasing XDCAM transfer version 2.7 and switching to version 2.5.1 as you suggested.

I am still troubleshooting a couple more things so hopefully they work out. If not you will certainly hear from me, haha.

Thanks again Don,

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:22:51 pm

It sounds like part of your problems are related to CalibratedQ. If you read their page it says in demo mode you'd see only upper half of picture. It also says do NOT install their EX codec if you have FCP. That's meant for playing back EX .MOV files on systems that do not have FCP.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:26:32 pm

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/XDDecodeQ.html

Not for use when Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Studio, or Final Cut Studio 2 is installed

and

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode will only show the top half of the video frame - the bottom portion will be grayed out. The top half will also have 1 horizontal gray line and 2 vertical gray lines embedded in the video frame.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:26:45 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It also says do NOT install their EX codec if you have FCP. That's meant for playing back EX .MOV files on systems that do not have FCP."

......and there you have it. Thanks, Craig for doing a bit more research than I was willing to do at the moment. I had a feeling Calibrated Q might've been an issue from helping a previous poster.

The moral of this story is to read the fine print before installing any third party software.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause very few service problems." - quote from a past president of GM and still true to this day.

- Don

Return to posts index

claudio manni
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:25:15 pm

Jeez, i've made a real mess....well hopefully someone is learning from all this...

ive deleted the calibrated software but i'm still seeing the half image. What is the best way to rectify this?

thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:49:25 pm

Did they include an Uninstaller?

You might need to contact them. I don't doubt this has happened before (although it's a very new product). There may be a hidden or buried file you'll need to remove. It may be that you'll need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the Pro Apps (Ugh!) or even an Archive/Install (and hope the buried file doesn't get transferred) followed by a reinstall of the Pro Apps. That's all speculation unless someone here who has had this happen, can answer.

I suspect your best bet would be to email their support pronto because I'd suspect they'd at least give you something closer to definitive.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 29, 2008 at 10:38:45 am

Although not involved with this thread (thank goodness!) I just can't resist expressing my admiration of the way you chaps have analysed this problem. It's great to know that such expertise is available to Cow devotees at the click of a mouse.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 29, 2008 at 4:04:45 pm

>I just recently download a quicktime plug-in from the apple site called Calibrated{Q} MXF Import 1.2 to support some of the formats.

Claudio ,

To be clear we're not chasing the wrong demon here, the Calibrated{Q} MXF Import 1.2 component is absolutely fine for use with FCP and allows the raw camera MXFs to be used without any need for rewrapping ... its the separate XD, IMX and DVCPro Decode components that are not allowed for use with FCP (as they will directly conflict with Apple's own codec bundles).

So it sounds like you might have downloaded and installed more than just the MXF Import component ...is that possible? If so, then its those additional components you need to delete/uninstall rather than the main MXF Import component. Delete those additional components and you should be fine (and you can even reinstall the main MXF Import component if you deleted that already). If you don't delete those Decode components then reinstalling FCP won't help you as those conflicting components will still be in the quicktime folder.

Take a look in the /Library/Quicktime folder and delete:
CalibratedIMXCodec.component
CalibratedXDCodec.component
CalibratedDVCProHDCodec.component

And in the /Applications folder delete the whole Calibrated folder
:
Now you can safely reinstall the MXF Import component from the demo installer. You should be fine after that.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:29:38 pm

Wow. Nice one, Andy. I'm going to have to check out this Calibrated Q thing for myself, as it may crop up again with someone else, and probably sooner rather than later.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]