FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS to Clip Browser to FCP?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Wash
SxS to Clip Browser to FCP?
on Oct 27, 2008 at 7:53:50 am

Please bare with the basic questions, but I've just upgraded from SD to HD with the EX-1. I installed the SxS driver device and Clip Browser and can view the clips in the browser just fine. I'd like to now import these files into FCP (ver. 5.1), but I do not know how to convert/format them from MP4 files to something else readable by FCP. None of the manuals seem to address this issue...

And is there an easier way to bring all of my files off of the card and into clip browser or do I need to enter each folder on the card and select the MP4 files one at a time, then add them one at a time. And what are the XML files in these folders for?

Again, thank you for your time and forgive my naivety.

Tony

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: SxS to Clip Browser to FCP?
on Oct 27, 2008 at 2:45:02 pm

To use the HQ record mode you with need to upgrade to Final Cut 6.0.2 as it has the EX 35Mbps XD Cam codec. You can use the SP (HDV) record mode with FCP 5

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 27, 2008 at 4:48:19 pm

Yup- FCP 5.1 is a no go with XDCAM EX clips, time to upgrade.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 27, 2008 at 5:52:11 pm

Hi Tony,

The following list contains the minimum requirements to edit native EX footage with Final Cut Pro:

Mac OS v.10.4.11
Quicktime Pro v.7.3.1
Final Cut Pro v.6.0.2 (part of Final Cut Studio 2)
Sony Clip Browser v.1.0 - not required to import and edit in FCP but still important to have.
Sony Transfer Tool v.2.1
Sony FAM driver

Here's a basic overview on how it all works:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/greening_don/ex1.php

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Wash
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:04:10 am

Awesome guys thanks a ton for all the help thus far. It amazes me how quickly you need to upgrade in this biz! So it's cool if I still copy all of the video files off of the SxS cards onto my hard drive so I can free space on the cards? That way when I do upgrade to FCP 6, I'll still have the files on my computer???

Thanks guys...

Tony

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 28, 2008 at 9:00:51 am

[Tony Wash] "So it's cool if I still copy all of the video files off of the SxS cards onto my hard drive so I can free space on the cards? That way when I do upgrade to FCP 6, I'll still have the files on my computer???"

Yes, absolutely you can do that. Here's how to go about it:

It's highly recommended that you copy the entire folder that resides on an SxS Pro card. Whether or not the card is full doesn't matter. There's still only one folder on the card and it's called the BPAV folder. You don't have to use any programs to do this. It's a drag and drop thing.

Insert SxS Pro card into your laptop's Express 34 slot or connect your camera to your desktop computer via USB, whatever your workflow is. When the card icon appears on your desktop open it and drag the BPAV folder to wherever you're going to store your transferred clips. Each destination folder should have a unique name such as card 1 > offload 1. Doesn't matter what you use for a folder name as long as you can keep track of everything. Drag the BPAV folder into that folder. Don't alter the BPAV folder name in any way, otherwise Sony's Transfer Tool or Clip Browser software will not see it. Don't alter anything inside the BPAV folder, either.

Start Sony's Clip Browser and navigate to the BPAV folder you just copied and view all the clips making sure they're good. You'll also be able to hear the clip audio if you turn up the sound on your machine.
Once everything checks out drag the BPAV folder from the SxS Pro card to the trash and then empty the trash.

Each time you copy a card's BPAV folder you must create a new folder on your destination drive with a unique name. If you try and drag it into the the same folder where you copied the first BPAV folder you will over-write it because they both have the same name. You don't want that. Afterwards, you can even lock each folder so they don't unintentionally get overwritten. Highlight each folder icon and hit "Cmd- I" or Get Info from the Finder's File menu. in the window that appears put a check mark beside the word "locked".

Now you can navigate to each BPAV folder on your hard drive using either Sony's Clip Browser or the Transfer Tool the same way you would if the folders were still on SxS Pro cards.

This workflow is rapidly becoming known as practicing "safe SxS."

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 28, 2008 at 2:34:03 pm

As Don said "Start Sony's Clip Browser and navigate to the BPAV folder you just copied and view all the clips making sure they're good", however with the XD Can Transfer program you only need to navigate to the folder holding the BPAV folder to import the clips into this program, and this XD Cam Transfer program is where you will re-wrap the raw EX files into Quicktime .mov files to work in Final Cut. So basically you have doubled your storage needs. IMO it is a must to keep the original BPAV folder for archive as you can always make new Quicktime files from it should storage become an issue.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Tony Wash
on Oct 29, 2008 at 9:48:14 am

Thanks again guys! Us newbies wouldn't get ahead an inch without your support.

I'm sure I'll be back with more issues needing resolve soon.

Return to posts index

kate bradford
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:55:42 pm

hi there,

i opened the xdcam clip browser but with no destination window. any suggestions on how to get that up?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:20:22 pm

Select File/New Explorer Window.
Make sure you've updated to ClipBrowser 2.6 also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]