FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exchange Mac to Windows

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sverker Hahn
Exchange Mac to Windows
on Oct 23, 2008 at 9:26:36 am

A customer wanted a lot of one minute clips. He uses Premiere on Windows.

I sent him QuickTime files in the XDCAM EX codec, since I knew Premiere can use the format and codec.

But it couldnĀ“t import, since QuickTime "... needed a component ...",
and I have no idea of what his Windows QuickTime needs.

Now I am re-encoding to MPEG-2 (.m2t) which works for the customer but is timeconsuming for me.

My question is

- is it possible to "repopulate" a BPAV-folder with clips from FCP so that he can import to Premiere in the normal Window workflow?

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Exchange Mac to Windows
on Oct 23, 2008 at 1:16:17 pm

- is it possible to "repopulate" a BPAV-folder with clips from FCP so that he can import to Premiere in the normal Window workflow?
I don't believe there a workflow to reverse the EX Quicktime back to RAW EX files. What I believe you must do is always keep the RAW BPAV file intact and he could have used Clip Browser for his Windows needs.
What he doesn't have is the Quicktime EX codec and I'm not sure it is or will will ever be available for PC as Apple wants to sell more Mac's.

I always keep the RAW files.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Oct 23, 2008 at 2:28:22 pm

Hi, Michael,

Yes, I keep the BPAV folders - on HHD and DVD-DL. But I had 300 clips spread out on 300 BPAV folders - so I had to extract the clips for the customer.

So you mean that there is no EX codec for Windows? If so the only way for me is to choose the best way to send to my customer.

I thought of uncompressed (works?), H.264 (works), MPEG-2 (works).
I suppose that uncompressed maybe too heavy on the customers equipment.
Both H.264 and MPEG-2 are Long-GOP codecs, like XDCAM, is that a good thing?

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 23, 2008 at 2:39:20 pm

Quicktime is an Apple application so in order to use Apples Final Cut they make us use the XD Cam Transfer program to re-wrap the file into a Quicktime .mov

Try downloading Stream Clip to convert.
http://www.squared5.com/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 23, 2008 at 3:01:28 pm

At the moment there's not a good workflow to exchange a project XDCAM EX between Mac and PC- at least not without an initial transcode to a codec that's supported on both platforms- such as uncompressed, animation codec, etc.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Sverker Hahn
on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:48:43 am

Thank you guys for your answers.

I will continue with converting to .m2t for the time being. I takes around 10x real time compared to 3x for XDCAM, but it is working ...

Sverker Hahn, Stockholm

Slower is better!

Sony EX1
Final Cut Studio 2
iMac Intel
MacBook Pro 15"

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 25, 2008 at 2:55:11 pm

you can buy the EX codec for Windows from CalibratedQ ... we just did exactly that. it works a treat

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Nov 8, 2008 at 3:16:17 am

Andy,
Very cool - thanks for the info. Still working well?
j

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 8, 2008 at 7:47:09 am

Yup, Perfectly. Does exactly what it says on the box.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Nov 17, 2008 at 10:37:24 pm

Forgive me...CalibratedQ? When I punch that into Google all I get are links back to this string of posts. http://www.calibratedq.com only gets me an error message.

I am quite new to all of this stuff and am looking for a way to get the video already ingested into my Macpro and FCP 6.0.2 out again so I can use it in a PC Avid suite.

It looks like I've been ingesting it incorrectly for dual purpose use. I have NOT been copying the BPAV files, to be honest I'm not certain what that is, although I'm sure I've seen reference to that somewhere either in FCP or on my Mac somewhere.

This is complicated by the fact that I am not a Mac guy and am learning on the fly.

Will CalibratedQ get me out of this jam where I need to export clips or video using something, so that an Avid Nitris on a PC can read it?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2008 at 10:47:57 pm

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/welcome.html

Yes, they are very hard to find doing a Google search. One would never think of looking for calibratedsoftware. I hope they improve their marketing because I think they're losing a fair amount of potential business.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]