COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Humble
Imorting files to FCP
on Oct 22, 2008 at 1:49:44 pm

Hi,

Newby with the EX1 so bare with me...

1st Question.

When my clips appear in the XD cam transfer browser (transfering via USB card reader) it says the Video Format is 'MPEG HD' and the bit rate is
35 Mbps however when I import them to FCP the 'data rate' column in the browser window reads 4.3 Mbps. Is this of concern?

2. The codec says: 'Apple XDCAM EX 1080p25 (35 Mb/s VBR)'
Is this what I edit with or should I be converting this file to some other format.

Apologies for the basic questions...

Regards,
Peter

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Imorting files to FCP
on Oct 22, 2008 at 3:50:42 pm

[Peter Humble] "when I import them to FCP the 'data rate' column in the browser window reads 4.3 Mbps. Is this of concern? "

Not at all. Mine says the same thing and I'm editing HQ 1080 30p 35 VBR.

[Peter Humble] "he codec says: 'Apple XDCAM EX 1080p25 (35 Mb/s VBR
Is this what I edit with or should I be converting this file to some other format."

It depends on your delivery format and the speed of your computer to edit in long GOP, which is fairly processor intensive. But since you've got FCP and version 6.0.2 at the very least I'll assume you have a fairly recent Mac with enough processing power that this isn't an issue for you. You can choose to edit in the EX native codec and change your sequence renders to Pro Res in FCP preferences. That way you have the best of both: editing in the native format but rendering in a faster "I-frame" codec.

As with anything else to do with FCP, there are always several ways to do the same job and no one way is better than the other. The way you choose simply depends on how you like to work.

- Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 22, 2008 at 5:54:45 pm

It's 35 Megabits vs. 4.3 Megabytes- same thing just different units of measure.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Jackson Black
on Mar 17, 2009 at 10:59:22 pm

Hi all,
If your working from a PC and trying to open XDCAM EX1 footage that's been captured and appears in your capture scratch folder as quicktime files that someone has supplied to you, can you? and do you need the Codec: Apple XDCAM EX 1080p25 (35 Mb/s VBR). If so how do you get it.

All we get is the audio and no vision. What do I need to do to see the footage?

Cheers
JB

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Mar 17, 2009 at 11:20:49 pm

No, Final Cut needs a Quicktime wrapper and I don't know of any Quicktime EX codec that is going to work for a PC. IF you give this person the raw EX BPAV folder then they can use Sony Clip Browser to view it.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 18, 2009 at 12:55:40 am

Use XDCAM EX .mov on Windows

Did you tell the person who handed you the files that you're working on Windows (or any non Final Cut Pro system)? Then they have the responsibility to give you the correct files. They should go back and give you the BPAV folders so you can rewrap to MXF in the free Sony ClipBrowser or use the .mp4 directly if your NLE supports that. Otherwise it may be within your right to ask the person who handed you .mov files to buy the above component if they new you were not using FCP and then deliberately didn't hand you the right files.

Even an edited sequence in FCP can be saved as XDCAM EX .mp4 rather than .mov now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]