FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Huckle
SxS cards
on Oct 20, 2008 at 7:35:25 pm

I filmed a family wedding on the week-end only to experience panic when I came to download from my sxs cards onto my macbook pro. The XDCAM transfer stated that there were no files to download and a pop up sign read something along the lines "no pars." This happened for both cards. I eventually managed to get one to download so that I could wipe and re-use for the speeches and the evening reception.

During the panic and all the hassle from family relatives, I think I somehow deleted the two files (wedding service) and then reused the disc. There is a saying, we always leave a digital finger print.

My two questions are:
1) Why the pop up message "no pars...."
2) Is there any way a boffin at Sony would be able to retrieve files from a wiped card?

I've just watched Die Hard 4. Any hope for me or should I be grateful that it was a family wedding and not a commercial one.

Mark

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SxS cards
on Oct 20, 2008 at 7:53:49 pm

I may not be able to answer the questions you asked but I can answer the ones you didn't

ALWAYS copy from the cards with ClipBrowser2 and with CRC enabled. That way you know the files have been verified.

If you bump into an issue with XDCAM Transfer (as you did) then you can copy those verified files onto an optical disk (DL-DVD or whatever). This way you KNOW you have a good set before you start messing with things.

It's WAY TOO EASY to make a mistake with XDCAM Transfer (like not copying the .SMI files that joins the spanned clips into a .MOV).

It could be the clips or metadata were corrupted. CRC checking would have helped. Having moved the files with ClipBrowser, you'd at least be able to rescue the .mp4 if parts of the metadata had become corrupted.

You might ask Sony about recommended file rescue but utilities that might work on FAT32 SxS might not be the same for your hard drive. People have tried various utilities with various degrees of success and failure. If you reuse a disc after deleting the files it may be a very long shot that anything can be retrieved.

The additional question you SHOULD have asked is:
What's wrong with my workflow?

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Oct 20, 2008 at 9:26:18 pm

Hello Craig - it seems just recently I've read about using Clip Browser 2 to copy the sxs cards in a few places. I've been copying directly from the finder, and careful to bring the entire BPAV package over to whichever hard drive I'm using. Thwn I usually opne the first and last clips to make sure they are all there. So far, so good but I'd hate to get burned down the road.
I tried Shotput but it seemed to add a level of complication and the idea of automatically deleting files before I actually saw the duplicate is downright scary, so I went back to doing a double copy to separate drives.
Wanting to practice safe sxs, I suppose I should be using the Browser 2 software - is it simply a matter of "selecting all" then copying to the drive or is there a duplicate card function that I'm missing?
The original browser seemed stripped down but worked well, 2.0 felt clunky on the mac so I really haven't explored it well; having to go through the "open new explorer window" ( like the add new source stuff on the transfer software) is annoying. But I am sure it is way better than losing my data.

Return to posts index

Kerry Cummings
on Oct 24, 2008 at 9:16:24 pm

Are you the Dennis O'Keefe from tiny little Dunellen, underlooking Washington Rock? If yes, drop me an e-mail at the above,...if not, you may ignore this and have a nice day.
Kerry

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Oct 24, 2008 at 10:09:48 pm

Nope, that would be the other Dennis OKeefe. But I agree Dunellen is a lovely burgh.

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Oct 21, 2008 at 2:45:23 pm

Craig,

What would be the best or most reliable backup solution for those of us who are only using XDCAM Transfer, which for me so far works fine? I am copying all the uploaded captured files over to another drive, but I am not sure about those if I ever needed them or if they are always "safe." Clip Browser is not compatible with G5s, so I cannot use this--I am still waiting for the faster MacPro w/Blu-ray drive before I spot for the MacPro[perhaps I am waiting for a pipe dream!].

Tom

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:39:45 pm

Surely there must me a way on the Mac and PC to force a verify once the BAPVs have been copied over???

Alan

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 21, 2008 at 5:33:57 pm

[Tom Parke] "What would be the best or most reliable backup solution for those of us who are only using XDCAM Transfer, which for me so far works fine?"

Hi Tom

I'm in the same boat as you in that I copy everything to dedicated hard drives at the moment, but as we all know, hard drives will eventually fail.

Most people serious about long term EX clip storage are waiting for the update to the PDW-U1 firmware which will allow full rez EX clips (or anything else for that matter) to be stored on XDCAM disc. You can use the drive right now but only for a downconverted 1440x1080 frame size because that's the original XDCAM HD format.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PDWU1/

- Don

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Oct 21, 2008 at 6:01:33 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys

We are all a bit impatient for everything to be perfect since the camera footage is so good. I am a bit concerned, as I am sure you all are, that we can have trust in our backups.

Tom

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Oct 21, 2008 at 11:16:53 pm

I use Clip Browser 2 for all of my backup transfers. You need to set CB2's preferences to enable CRC and to direct the files to a particular drive. Yes, it is a slow process as each clip at a time is transferred, but you can see the status at all times.

If you wish to copy all of the files across, just select the copy all (or whatever it is called) and the process starts straight away.

I transferred about 28Gb yesterday and it took maybe 1/2 hr to 40 mins, but all was verified. To be safe, I do this TWICE to 2 drives.

The CB software does create a folder that contains a long set of numbers (never sat down to work out what the numbers mean) but I just rename the folder, check the contents quickly and start again.

For safety, use clip browser 2 as Sony states.

Best wishes to all

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2008 at 11:50:44 pm

[David Issko] "The CB software does create a folder that contains a long set of numbers (never sat down to work out what the numbers mean) "

The folder numbers are actually the year month day hour minute second the transfer takes place (at least it is for me).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]