FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6.0.4 Sony Log and Capture, XD Transfer Crashing App.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Gordon
FCP 6.0.4 Sony Log and Capture, XD Transfer Crashing App.
on Oct 19, 2008 at 3:18:36 am

I am using OS 10.4.11 with FCP 6.0.4 shooting SONY EX1 connecting the Camera via USB, I can Import the Files into Sony Brouser App No Problem.. I can Copy the files to new directory..

BUT

Each time I run FCP and start SONY XD Transfer the Application Crashes FCP

I have tried downloading Log and Capture from Sony Pro site and installing that IT does the Same CRASHED FCP...

I have removed ALL FCP + XDCAM Transfer Prefrences and done a Software Update ...No Difference.

Has anyone had success with Calibrated Q >??

ANY Ideas appreciated...

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: FCP 6.0.4 Sony Log and Capture, XD Transfer Crashing App.
on Oct 19, 2008 at 5:49:21 am

[Tony Gordon] "Has anyone had success with Calibrated Q >??"

There's no mention of the XDCAM EX codec being supported by Calibrated Q. There's mention of 3 flavours of XDCAM HD there but no EX codec. There is a difference, otherwise Final Cut Pro wouldn't have all those XDCAM capture presets in there, including the separate EX codec

Until you figure out why the Sony Transfer app and the log and capture plugin is crashing FCP just use the Sony Transfer Tool as a stand alone app, since you say it's working properly by itself. Import and transfer your footage via your camera's USB connection, shut down the transfer app and start FCP. Use the regular Import command within FCP to navigate to your transferred clips and do it that way.

When you get back to civilization you can fix the problem but right now you're in the field and need to get your footage into FCP in whatever way works for you. This is my workaround suggestion.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 19, 2008 at 6:33:14 am

Thanks Don - I am actually Based in the Jungle here..I have tried Log and Capture and XD Transfer, Both Crash FCP - So I am just wondering if the FCP installation is to blame, I have removed the FCP app and Pref folders and Reloading the FCP software..

I have transferred my SxS cards in an Express card slot on a Vista based Laptop the files work fine through the SONY Brouser and I can Copy them in that Application..I have studied the file structures and data they all seem to be intact..and they work in the Mac Pro Brouser ?

It is probably some small preference issue but to have Both Sony Products Crash FCP is unuslay right ? Ill have to keep trying things until I get something to work will try your suggestion though..

-jungle boy

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 19, 2008 at 6:53:57 am

[Tony Gordon] "It is probably some small preference issue but to have Both Sony Products Crash FCP is unuslay right ?"

Yes, it's unusual unless there's something common to both such as the Sony FAM driver that detects either the camera hooked up to the computer via USB or detects an SxS Pro memory card in an Express 34 slot. If there's something wrong there then it could conceivably crash FCP.

I actually use Sony's Transfer app all the time just by itself. It's after the EX clips get imported and re-wrapped to the Quicktime MOV format that I finally start FCP and navigate to the folder where the MOV's are located just by using FCP's regular Import File Command.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 19, 2008 at 8:34:03 am

Hello Don, I have RELOADED the Entire FCP and gone through the same process of trying to Log and Capture -- but I get the same problem..

I can't Log and Capture - I can't use XDCam Transfer -

My only alternative is to do an SDI Capture Batch Capture style...

So I am giving up today after 10 hrs of frustration...

Tomorrow I will try and capture OLD style..if you have any other ideas where I might be going wrong please let me know

I have loaded my sequence presets for xdcam and done everything I can think of but SONY Log and Capture & XDCam Transfer BOTH CRASH Repeatedly...???

I'm loosing my mind on this one and thinking of returning to my PC environ...

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 19, 2008 at 2:23:17 pm

Hang in there Tony, You mentioned using the Log and Capture and you need to use Log and Transfer or the stand alone XD Cam Transfer program to rewrap the raw EX series files to .mov Quicktime files.
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?product=PDW-700&site=biz_...
Make sure you have the latest Clip Browser program too.
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_GB&category=B...

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 19, 2008 at 5:49:00 pm

Hi Tony,

If I had just spent 10 plus hours trying to get everything to work without success I'd be wiping my Macbook Pro's startup drive and re-installing everything from scratch, including the Mac OS. It would probably be faster than trying to figure out why things aren't working. I don't suppose you brought your Mac installation disks along, did you?

Things I need to ask:

Have you checked to see if there are multiple copies of the Sony FAM driver on your laptop? If there are then that may be part of the problem, as having more than one will be a conflict.

Did you do a test before you left for the shoot to make sure you were able to transfer EX clips successfully?

Are you transferring your clips to an external hard drive or are your trying to use the laptop's startup drive to store the clips?

I've been using my Macbook Pro for almost a year now to transfer EX clips but I don't use the Sony Transfer Tool or the Clip Browser software to do it. I don't use my laptop to edit with but just as a way to get the clips off the SxS Pro cards and then empty them.

Since you're in the field and can't wipe your startup drive you can still copy the contents of each SxS Pro card and then erase them afterwards. You won't be able to do any editing if the Transfer Tool keeps crashing but at least you'll have your raw clips:

Insert SxS Pro card into your laptop's Express 34 slot.
If the card icon appears on your desktop open it and drag the BPAV folder to wherever you're trying to store your transferred clips. Your destination folder should have a unique name such as card 1 > offload 1. Drag the BPAV folder into that folder. Don't alter the BPAV folder name in any way, otherwise Sony's Transfer Tool or Clip Browser software will not see it. Don't alter anything inside the BPAV folder, either.

Start Sony's Clip Browser and navigate to the BPAV folder you just copied and view all the clips making sure they're good. You'll also be able to hear the clip audio if you turn up the sound on your laptop.
Once everything checks out drag the BPAV folder from the SxS Pro card to the trash and then empty the trash.

Each time you copy a card's BPAV folder you must create a new folder on your destination drive with a unique name. If you try and drag it into the the same folder where you copied the first BPAV folder you will over-write it because they both have the same name. You don't want that. Afterwards, you can even lock each folder so they don't unintentionally get overwritten. Highlight each folder icon and hit "Cmd- I" or Get Info from the Finder's File menu. in the window that appears put a check mark beside the word "locked".

See how that goes.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 20, 2008 at 3:23:12 am

Don Genius Information - I am SOOO Grateful to hear from u, Thanks so to all who assist people like me !!!

FAM DRIVER - None show up in spotlight...it does indicate there is a file in application/utilities BUT when I open the directory it says "Status" not loaded...??

I am in TEST Mode now -

I am transferring to External HDD and Internal using the brousing software on an ACRE PC - WD 320G HDD...
(The Folders update in Mac Pro and PLAY full screen in the brouser in Mac Pro - no problem) JUST CANT USE THE TRANSFER TO RE-WRAP THE FILES TO MOV...???

I am following the same Transfer protocol you suggest -
Opening a NEW directory on the Internal Drive and Copying the ENTIRE BPAV to the new directory - as mentioned the files play on the Mac pro Brouser BUT do NOT work in XDCAM Transfer so I can IMPORT them into FCP !!! wierd...Could it be the FAM Driver missing ?

IS there a seperate DRIVER download for the FAM driver - incidentially when I have my EX1 connected with USB the Transfer App crashed ---IS THERE a SET PROCEDURE for Connecting the EX using the APP ???

Still working on this !!!! IF I can't Crack IT I will Re-load back to my SxS cards and do a SD transfer back to the DPS Velocity I have in the corner and use that as a Last resort...TONIGHT Maybe...

Thanks for the support Don REALLY Appreciate the HELP !!!

Jungle Boy @ whitelightfilm.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:21:41 am

[Tony Gordon] "FAM DRIVER - None show up in spotlight...it does indicate there is a file in application/utilities BUT when I open the directory it says "Status" not loaded...??"

I just started my FAM driver tool app. on my Mackbook Pro and the status there says "not loaded" as well. I'm assuming it's because the FAM driver is inactive unless there's an EX (with a card) connected, or if there's an SxS Pro card in the Express 34 slot. I can assure you that my FAM driver works just fine. Actually, this is the very first time I've ever gone to the Utilities folder and actually started up the FAM driver Tool.

[Tony Gordon] "Could it be the FAM Driver missing ? "

I don't think so. If your laptop can see your EX when connected and view clips directly from the cards using Clip Browser then the FAM driver is working. Must be something else.

[Tony Gordon] "IS there a seperate DRIVER download for the FAM driver "

I think when you download either the Transfer Tool or the Clip Browser the FAM driver is part of the download. Not sure. But there's only one driver you need and that's the FAM driver.

[Tony Gordon] "IS THERE a SET PROCEDURE for Connecting the EX using the APP ???"

Nothing special, really. Hook up the camera via USB. Then turn on the camera. Look in the camera's viewfinder for the prompt "Connecting via USB." Hit "execute". Now at least one card icon should appear on the desktop. If it does the FAM driver is working. Sometimes only one card icon will appear even though there's 2 loaded in the EX. If that happens then eject the card icon from your desktop and shut the camera off. Turn the camera back on and repeat the connection procedure. This time there should be 2 card icons on your desktop.

[Tony Gordon] "as mentioned the files play on the Mac pro Brouser BUT do NOT work in XDCAM Transfer so I can IMPORT them into FCP"

It's normal for the Clip Browser to be able to play back EX clips without having FCP or the Transfer Tool installed. That's how I preview clips on site to make sure the BPAV folders were copied without issue to my attached hard drive.

Sony's Transfer Tool app. is different in that it needs FCP v.6.0.2 or later in order to display clips. This is because the EX codec resides within FCP and not QT or Sony's Transfer Tool. You also need Quicktime v.7.3.1 or later as well, or it's not going to work. But you already have everything you need so I can't figure out why you're having so much trouble. There has to be a file corruption somewhere or something is not loading properly and is causing a crash. I wish I could get you a copy of DiskWarrior to rebuild the main directory on your startup drive. More often than not a directory rebuild will solve a lot of issues such as yours: specifically you've got all you need but something is stopping it all from working.

Try using Apple's Disk Utility app. to repair permissions on your startup drive and see if that does anything. I have to stress that my Macbook Pro, Mac Pro and all my other Mac computers are rock solid and hardly ever crash.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:12:23 am

Don Here's the Thing - I have just removed all traces of SONY from my prefrences and Applications - Then Downloaded the XDCAM Transfer V2.1 again - Got the same issue

ERROR INITALISING DATABASE
The application does not support this version of the offline database. The application supports version 7 databases but THIS A VERSION 8 DATABASE ??????

Do you know where this Database File may be residing ????

Tony

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:25:38 am

Try installing version 2.7 not 2.1.

I vaguely remember when updating to XDCAM Transfer2.7 of getting a message to remove a database file.

I still have it on my desktop. It's called
Database.sqlite3

I don't remember what folder it came from but probably someplace in Macintosh HD/Library

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 20, 2008 at 8:04:52 am

Found and deleted, We have a Mainconcept Watermark appearing on the images we are seeing in the brouser !! apparently it is a plug in dor Brouser that Sony include as a DEMO - License is $389USD...

Do you have any experience with this App ???

At the Moment we are struggling to get XDCam Transfer to function - however we have managed to get it to stabilise a little BUT not to open and view ANY files...

Can you lay out your 'workflow' from SxS transfer thru to FCP for ME please ??? That may be where we are going wrong...??

TG

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 20, 2008 at 8:40:29 am

[Tony Gordon] "Do you have any experience with this App ???"

No experience with the Main Concept program.

Workflow:

Connect camera via USB then turn it on. When the EX asks if you want to connect via USB select "Execute."

Card icon should then appear on the desktop. It looks like a disc image icon and will say "untitled" if you didn't previously name the card.

Start the Sony Transfer Tool. It should find your card icon on the desktop almost immediately and the clip icons will begin to appear in the main window. If for some reason the Transfer app. doesn't detect the desktop icon right away just navigate to it by using the "Add" button down at the bottom left of the Transfer Tool window.

Choose a destination folder using the preferences within the Transfer app. Highlight a clip by clicking on it and choose "Import" down at the bottom right of the window. The program will import the clip and turn it into a .mov file from the native .mp4 file.

That's pretty much it.

I'm using Sony Transfer Tool v.2.5.1, Quicktime v.7.3.1, FCP v.6.0.2 and Mac OS v.10.4.11 on a dual core Mac Pro.

- Don

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:30:37 am

Never seen that before, Tony. The latest version of Sony's Transfer Tool app. is 2.7. I'm using v. 2.5.1 and it's rock solid on my dual core 3 Ghz Mac Pro. Perhaps v.2.1 is trying to access a database created by a later version of Sony's Transfer Tool app? When cards are imported by the Transfer Tool it creates a database for each card that can be accessed within the app itself. When you eject a card the data remains until you decide to remove that particular card's info. Perhaps this is the database your warning prompt is referring to. Other than that I'm now out of ideas at the moment.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Oct 20, 2008 at 8:35:43 am

Don It is finally working - we are unsure of why BUT we deleted ALL XDCam TX and then Reinstalled the 2.1v again and it worked...

Guess the KEY here is NOT to USE 2.7v in FCP !!!!!!

Thank you for your generousity and patience - I look forward to conversing with you again in happier times...

regards and best wished Tony Gordon & Lachlan Phillips...

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 20, 2008 at 8:55:23 am

That's good to hear, Tony. As long as things are working now you can get on with shooting. When you get home think seriously about wiping that startup drive and re-installing everything. I've used the transfer app v.2.5.1 for almost a year now and it's never crashed, either as a stand alone app or from within FCP.

Good luck on your shoot.

- Don

Return to posts index

Joseph Bailey
on Apr 28, 2009 at 5:10:28 pm

Re: XDCAM Transfer crash on launch.

I have recently been through a tough time getting XDCAM Transfer to work on my new Mac Pro (Nehalem) running the latest FCP, OSX.5.6, and XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0. It all worked very well on my MacBookPro, but would crash on the Mac Pro whenever I added a SxS card to the list or added a BPAV file. Searching the blogs scared me. Several folks had problems with crash on launch type probems. If it quit working on my MacBookPro I was sunk..... no other way to rewrap the XDCAM files for FCP .... and I didn't want to switch to AVID or Adobe mid stream. Finding out how to contact Sony support was also somewhat difficult, but, I did get through and got help, as outlined in the response below, which includes a number for Sony support. They have a list of 3rd party components that interfere with Xdcam Transfer.

1) Check your /Library/Quicktime folder (That's "Macintosh
HD"/Library/Quicktime, not User/Library...) for 3rd party plugins that
may be causing a conflict. First look for anything called "ZYGO..." or
"XD-DECODE...." These are 3rd party components for reading motion-jpeg
and MXF files, and they are known to cause Transfer to crash on launch.

2) Go to Applications/Utilities/Console and open a System.Log file.
Clear the log (using the "Clean Up" button on the toolbar) so we have a
clean slate, then launch Transfer and try to read from a BPAV folder.
After the crash we can have a look at the log file and see if there are
any clues as to what components are causing the problem.

3) Completely remove the E-sata card and all of its installed components
and try assigning both the XDCAM Transfer and the imports locally.

I am hoping that #1 is the case. If it is not, let me know and we'll
have a look at the system.log file. If you decide to send this file to
us please also include a copy of your System Profiler XML file (Apple
Menu-->About this Mac-->More info-->FILE MENU-->Save Log File-->System
Profiler 4.0 XML).

FYI, the USB driver warning for the PDW-U1 is normal if you do not have
the driver installed. Nothing to worry about here. If you ever decide to
use a PDW-U1 you'll need to install a separate driver, as the one
installed with Transfer is for 1394/i.LINK and the U-1 communicates via
USB 2.0

Best regards,

Ian