FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS Cards Not Reading in MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wheeler
SxS Cards Not Reading in MacBook Pro
on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:07:23 pm

Has anyone had a problem with their XDCAM SxS cards not reading in a MacBook Pro ExpressCard slot unless they are held in manually beyond the point where they "click" to lock in? Neither of my 8GB SxS cards are recognized in the Mac menu bar when inserted normally. Only when I push them in as far as possible (beyond the normal lock point) will the Mac read them. Of course, holding them beyond the "click in" state with one hand while you download 6GB of files does not work during a shoot.

The SXS cards are 8GB and work fine in the camera. The ExpressCard slot works fine with my eSATA outboard hard drive through a Addonics adaptor. Sony says they heard one other similar complaint, but it seemed to be a problem with a card that was not pushed in till it locked.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

David Wheeler
Wheeler & Associates, LLC
Ft. Collins, CO

MacBook Pro OS 10.4.11
XDCAM EX1
Addonics eSata ExpressCard 34 Adaptor

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: SxS Cards Not Reading in MacBook Pro
on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:55:23 pm

I've seen several comments about this. We bought two usb card readers and they have worked fast a flawless.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Oct 20, 2008 at 7:55:39 pm

Thanks, Steve. Are you using the Sony ExpressCard USB card reader or a third party unit?

David Wheeler
Ft. Collins, CO

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 18, 2008 at 4:52:13 am

[David Wheeler] "Anyone else with a similar problem? "

No. The Express slot in my Macbook Pro works flawlessly. It's the FW400 port that's a bit flakey and won't hold the cable tightly enough. Been that way since day one but only on certain cables.

I can't imagine you trying to hold an Express card past the click-in point while you transfer files. That sucks. If your Macbook Pro is under warranty take it in for service. They'll most likely do a simple adjustment to move the inner connection closer the the actual Express holder. If your machine is out of warranty take it in anyway to save your on-location sanity.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Oct 20, 2008 at 7:58:14 pm

Thanks, Don. I appreciate the help.
Dave

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 20, 2008 at 9:46:02 pm

I just got my new MBP (15.4" 2.4GHZ 4GB) and I did a FW transfer of all my User Apps an files.

I had doubts the transfer would go smoothly. The other Mac is a a 17" 2.4GHZ MBP, so they are quite similar except for the glossy screen and robust case. So far I love it.

The XDcam Transfer program works fine. I just tried it with a 16GB SxS card.

The card pops right up on the DT when inserted.

I did a reeboot just to make sure, it took a long time to start 8 min or so but it started just fine and transfers work.

M100 Producer will have to reinstalled I think, it uses a hardware key, but PSD, AE, FCP Studio 2 all seem to work great.

I will keep you posted if any problems develop.

It came with QT 7.5.1 and that is great as 7.5.5 has big problems with M100.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Shawndra Bateson
on Oct 22, 2008 at 4:32:57 pm

Hi, we are currently taking a Sony XDCAM EX for a test drive, the camera performs beautifully, and is recording to the card properly. I am able to preview the clips on the camera, but I cannot get them to come up in the XDCAM Clip Browser version 2.0. I am using a MacBook Pro, when I plug the card in it immediately comes up in the toolbar at the top of the screen, but no images appear in the browser. The company that I got the camera from said that I should try a sbac US 10 Card reader, is this really necessary? Please Help! Thanks.

Shawndra Bateson
Instructional Technician
Rock Valley College
Department of Mass Communication

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 22, 2008 at 8:09:28 pm

[Shawndra Bateson] "The company that I got the camera from said that I should try a sbac US 10 Card reader, is this really necessary?"

Welcome to Creative COW, Shawndra

The Macbook Pro with the Express 34 slot is all you need. So, no you don't need the reader.

The minimum software to make it all work with Sony's Clip Browser:

Mac OS v.10.4.11 or better
Quicktime v.7.3.1 or better
Clip Browser v.1.00 or better
Sony's FAM Driver (so your computer recognizes an inserted SxS Pro memory card as a device)

Check your software and make sure it meets the above requirements. The fact that an inserted card is already recognized by your Mackbook Pro means you have the FAM driver installed and it's working. I'm using Clip Browser v.1.00 but the basic functions of my version should be the same as Clip Browser 2. As soon as I insert a card into the Express 34 slot the card icon appears on the desktop. Then I start Clip Browser and everything is pretty much automatic: the software sees the card on the desktop and after just a few seconds all the clips start appearing in the main upper window. To the left is a smaller window with the Macbook Pro's hard drive icon and the SxS card icon right below. If you don't see those icons then navigate to your desktop within Clip Browser by using the "up arrow" tool directly above. Just mouse-over the tool icons and they'll reveal what each one does.

Post back if you're still having trouble.

- Don

Return to posts index

David Wheeler
on Oct 23, 2008 at 5:56:24 pm

Apple support confirms that 1st generation MBPs have problems with their ExpressCard readers. Fortunately, I still have a couple of years left on my AppleCare. The bad news is every authorized service center I've talked to needs to keep the laptop AND the SxS card 3-5 business days for the repair (unless I'm willing to pay rush charges, of course!)

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]