FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS card driver makes new MBP not boot!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Kimball
SxS card driver makes new MBP not boot!
on Oct 16, 2008 at 1:43:09 pm

Just a note out there to any one looking at the new MacBook Pros announced a couple days ago. I just got mine (been waiting on a worthy upgrade to my macbook). Got everything installed, etc, works great... as soon as I installed the SxS card drivers for the expresscard slot - it won't boot. Just hangs at the blue booting screen forever. I booted into safe mode, and uninstalled the card drivers... now it boots perfectly.

Is there an updated card driver available? This is a pretty serious issue for me. The whole reason I went MacBook Pro is because of using it with my EX1 directly with the cards...

So any help would be appreciated (I know it's a very new issue as these laptops are a few days out), but we might be waiting on Sony for an updated driver...

On a side note, this MBP is slamming! The new display (as I was skeptical at first of the glass/glossy) is actually really amazing... super bright.

Thanks,
Drew

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: SxS card driver makes new MBP not boot!
on Oct 17, 2008 at 2:56:04 am

[Drew Kimball] "but we might be waiting on Sony for an updated driver... "

Sure sounds like a driver conflict all right. So far, anything new and improved from Sony usually surfaces on their Canadian web site first so keep your eyes and browser pointed here:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/support.htm

- Don

Return to posts index

Drew Kimball
on Oct 17, 2008 at 3:11:54 am

Thanks for the link... I didn't even know there was a log and transfer plug in... I've been tired of that xdcam transfer program for a year... now I can use log and transfer just like i did in my HVX days.... nice! (well except for the fact that it's over usb 2 right now... card driver still not working... even tried it after a fresh reinstall of leopard... there's definitely something different about the OS on these new notebooks...)

I emailed sony about the issue, and surprisingly I heard back in a few hours! They asked more about the issue and I sent them my logs and system profile setup... hopefully they'll find what's causing the problem... we'll see... I'll post back when I hear from them.

I guess this is what I get for being an early adopter... :)

Drew

Drew Kimball
Principal
//Braintrust Creative//
braintrustcreative.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 17, 2008 at 3:27:39 am

[Drew Kimball] "I guess this is what I get for being an early adopter... :) "

I heard that. Last year I got the first EX1 in my neck of the woods and it had issues, so I know what it's like to need advice and have nowhere to turn. It's not surprising to know that Sony is interested in your issue. With so many FCP users out there and when there's a problem with a new iteration of Mac hardware that will directly affect their software, Sony will be all ears.

- Don

Return to posts index

Hans la Cour
on Nov 6, 2008 at 1:12:14 pm

I have a new MBP as well, and ran into the same issue.
Six minutes for the machine to boot up, each time.
Any news regarding a possible patch or solution to this problem?
- thanks!

Return to posts index

Phillip Velasco
on Oct 19, 2008 at 2:56:40 am

I got my new MBP and installed the SxS driver. It took a while for the MBP to boot. Approximately 6 mins. Having this driver disables the 3 and 4 finger command swipes on the trackpad. I thought I had a defected MBP at first so i exchanged it for a another one. Installed the SxS driver again, and same problem. I guess i can live without the track pad features till Sony updates the SxS driver.

Return to posts index

Drew Kimball
on Oct 19, 2008 at 5:24:50 pm

Interesting result. I let mine try to boot for at least 5 minutes... it never did, just hung on the blue screen pre login. I'll try it again and wait a really long time and see what happens...

I wonder what could be causing it to stop the track pad from working properly? And does it take a long time to boot every time, or just that first restart after installing the driver?

Drew Kimball
Principal
//Braintrust Creative//
braintrustcreative.com

Return to posts index

Drew Kimball
on Oct 20, 2008 at 9:56:25 pm

Okay, I reinstalled the driver, and rebooted and waited... sure enough about 7 minutes later, it booted, and the cards worked, but the 3 and four finger gestures don't. So across two installs we've got the same result. Hopefully sony will update the driver soon. I've passed on all this info to sony... we'll see what they come up with.

Drew Kimball
Principal
//Braintrust Creative//
braintrustcreative.com

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 20, 2008 at 11:47:12 pm

I have the same result. Very slow boot no 4 finger gestures.

But everything seems to work.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 20, 2008 at 11:48:40 pm

I just got my new MBP (15.4" 2.4GHZ 4GB) and I did a FW transfer of all my User Apps an files.

I had doubts the transfer would go smoothly. The other Mac is a a 17" 2.4GHZ MBP, so they are quite similar except for the glossy screen and robust case. So far I love it.

The XDcam Transfer program works fine. I just tried it with a 16GB SxS card.

The card pops right up on the DT when inserted.

I did a reeboot just to make sure, it took a long time to start 8 min or so but it started just fine and transfers work.

M100 Producer will have to reinstalled I think, it uses a hardware key, but PSD, AE, FCP Studio 2 all seem to work great.

I will keep you posted if any problems develop.

It came with QT 7.5.1 and that is great as 7.5.5 has big problems with M100

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
We need a SxS driver update for new MBP's ASAP
on Oct 21, 2008 at 12:57:47 pm

After a lot of testing, it is obvious that there is a driver conflict with SxS driver.

If uninstalled the 4 finger stuff works and boot is fast.

With it installed boot takes 8-10 minutes. And if you check Activity Monitor there is a task 0 that consumes 100-110% of cpu. This leads to running hot and quick draining of the battery.

It is like you can limp along but it is not right. We need a driver update for new MBP's ASAP.

Who did you contact at Sony. I would like to make a report to them as well.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Drew Kimball
Re: We need a SxS driver update for new MBP's ASAP
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:53:37 pm

I used the form on their support site. I got an email back a few hours later that they were working on it. Hopefully they'll get it updated soon.

Drew Kimball
Principal
//Braintrust Creative//
braintrustcreative.com

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 21, 2008 at 6:55:50 pm

I actually talked to a Sony tech this morning. I sent them my syslog files and profiler xml.

They are working on patch.

They were very interested and helpfull.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Phillip Velasco
on Oct 24, 2008 at 10:00:20 pm

Any word on the SxS driver update?

Return to posts index

Tim McCusker
on Oct 25, 2008 at 7:42:01 pm

Same problem. I got this MBP so I could use it to download SxS cards. System now hangs at start for 7 minutes or so. I first did a firewire transfer of all my apps to the new MBP and when done, the hanging problem was there. Not knowing where to begin to find the problem, I erased and reinstalled the Mac OS onto the new MBP, and began re-installing software one disc at a time. Sure enough, everything worked perfectly until I installed the SxS card driver.

Return to posts index

Davina Pardo
on Oct 27, 2008 at 2:30:52 pm

I'm having the same problem. I just got off the phone with Sony customer service. He said the problem's noted in their system, and they're working on a new patch but he has no idea about time frame. He said they should have a better idea later this week.

Return to posts index

Jarond Suman
on Oct 28, 2008 at 4:26:10 pm

Sony told me that this problem has been sent back to the programmers in Japan to create a patch for the driver. But, they still couldn't tell me when it would be fixed.

Return to posts index

Phillip Velasco
on Nov 8, 2008 at 8:23:38 am

Any word on the updated driver? Its been almost a month since the new MBP has came out. I need this update ASAP.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 8, 2008 at 4:29:56 pm

Looks like it's still the same old driver that's still available. Check it out:

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

I'm sure that when the updated driver does become available they'll make an announcement of some sort. Anyway, anything new in Sony software usually shows up on the Canadian site first. Don't know why:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/

I understand that the conflict on the new Macbooks has to do with the new gesture software for the track pad. Any way to disable it in preferences?

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]