FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Or Adobe Premier Pro CS4

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stewart weir
Final Cut Or Adobe Premier Pro CS4
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:57:23 pm

Ive been a freelance documenatry photographer since 93'. Have had some video shooting experiance with the BBC and have a Canon XL2. Used iMovie 06 and liked its easy to use options. Im now focusing more on docs for TV and invested in the EX3, mics etc.. A very very steep learning curve and the EX3s 'tiger tail' is vicious if not understood!

Begun shooting a doc with the EX3..

Now to the point -

1. For ease of learning and user interface which is better for a video editing novice.. fcp or adobe?

adobe premier pro cs4 isnt out yet i know

interested to hear from anyone who has dropped one system in favour of another and the reasons why..

guess the answer maybe personal choice liked how many sugers do you like in ya coffee!

MY MAIN CRITERIA IS SIMPLICITY AND I WISH FINAL CUT EXPRESS COULD HANDLE XDCAM BUT IT CANT.

I JUST WANT TO PUT ROUGH CUTS TOGETHER.. FOR THE END PRODUCT I WILL USE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING..

thanks in advance for your input

Stewart Weir

http://www.lightstalkers.org/sw

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Final Cut Or Adobe Premier Pro CS4
on Oct 15, 2008 at 8:59:38 pm

I have very strong views on this subject because as a film editor I had to learn computer editing and the task appeared fearsome as I'd never even switched a computer on! I was advised to go with Media 100 on a Mac as it was originally designed to replicate film editing and it was then (1996), and still is now, the easiest, most intuitive of all the systems. You will find the learning curve for Final Cut far far steeper than with Media 100. I don't know where you are in the world but try and find a suite with both systems installed and have a look. Adobe may be easier than Final Cut but the 'media management' is still not as straightforward as in Media 100.

I too make documentaries and can do all I want with Media 100 and the latest versions also support media from the new Sony EX1 & 3. You may not get any support for my view as Media 100 lost a lot of admirers when the company was bought by a lousy company. Now it's owned by Boris Effects and it is steaming ahead once again.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on Oct 16, 2008 at 8:06:27 am

I must agree with Michael. The Media 100 system is fast, simple & intuitive to operate. I often shoot with an EX1 & 3 and find the workflow fast & reliable. My only gripe is the quality of the QuickTime downconverter/scaler, so when editing for SD I digitise from the camera SDI HD out, into the Media 100 HD & let the superb hardware downscaler convert to SD - no aliasing!
My advise would be to find a Media 100 & FCP dealer and see for yourself. Good luck.

G5 dual 2.7, OS10.5.1, 4G RAM
Media100 HD V12 & Producer, AE 7
5.6 terra RAID

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 17, 2008 at 4:46:24 pm

Chris, I agree about the supurb downscaling (even better than BitVice) but I still have the HDx board which does it in hardware whereas the new AJA board uses software. I propose keeping that board for version 13 which I can do as my Mac G5 is pre Intel. The Ex support will still work with that set up.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

stewart weir
on Oct 16, 2008 at 9:46:55 am

thanks to you both.. wasnt expecting this option because i didnt know it existed! looked over the media 100 on there site http://www.media100.com/

a trial download for me..

thanks again..

Stewart Weir

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 17, 2008 at 3:50:19 am

I used Media 100 for several years. It's a good system, BUT how many Media 100 systems are there in use now? You said you want to do the rough cut and have some finish for you. With 1 million Final Cut users it will be much easier to find someone to help you finish with FCP. If you get some training in FCP you should be able to pick it up quickly. EX3 footage comes into FCP really.

Dajen Productions
Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo - AJA Kona LHe
Huge 1.2 Raid
FCP 6.0.2-OS X 10.5.2-QT 7.4

Return to posts index

Eric Addison
on Oct 17, 2008 at 3:26:50 pm

Premiere Pro CS4 is now shipping, but the trial version has yet to post. The way CS3 handles XDCAM EX files is really great, and it looks like they made some improvements in dealing with that format in CS4. I think FCP is good, but I'd give PPro CS4 a look before you decide.

---Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 17, 2008 at 4:48:36 pm

Oh well Chris, we tried! Wouldn't swop my Media 100 systems for any money!!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

stewart weir
on Oct 17, 2008 at 9:44:34 pm

just found out for the latest media 100 producer my mac needs to be a leopard osx! decided to get another imac so will download trial next week. like the specs of the adobe premier cs4 as well so im going to take advantage of their trial download. really like the idea of the speech to text option.. as for final cut pro.. will try the other options first.

thanks again to all..

Stewart Weir

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]