FORUMS: list search recent posts

shutter speed

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Cavazzuti
shutter speed
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:05:04 pm

Just one question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere in this forum. I just had one hour trial with the EX-1 and I don't have a manual. So, is it true that to adjust the shutter speed you have to go deep into the menu? No dial available, as it was for the Z1 and other predecessors?

If it is true (I still believe there must be some way to adjust it on camera) what's the use of talking about depth of field (bigger sensor etc.) if you can adjust exposure only by the iris and ND filters?

Hope somebody can tell me that I'm wrong, since I still would like to buy the camera, despite the awful ergonomics, the bad viewfinder, the costly cards, the CMOS artifacts, the storage problems etc.

Thank You all for the precious answers I could get from this Forum so far.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: shutter speed
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:24:57 pm

Joystick on top of the camera if it's set to partial direct (forgot the exact term Sony uses) can change shutter speed on the LCD display. BTW if you're going to access a single function frequently the camera also "remembers" where you exited out of the menu so you can go right back with a single push of the menu button.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Oct 15, 2008 at 4:11:39 pm

Hi Andrea-

Changing the shutter speed/angle in the menu is not that bad after you've done it a few times. You can download the instruction manual for the EX-1 and EX-3 at http://www.strattoncamera.com. Just click on the HD tab and all the manuals for their (rental) cameras are available.

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 15, 2008 at 9:07:28 pm

I agree with the others on the ease of changing shutter speeds but may I mention that it is not good practice to control exposure that way as it is with still photography. Shutter speeds should only be changed to produce special effects, not to counter poor light. You have (as you mention) aperture and ND for that as well as great options for increasing the gain setting, which can be done instantly with a handy little switch. The use of increased gain with the superb EX cameras results in hardly visible diminuation of picture quality.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrea Cavazzuti
on Oct 16, 2008 at 7:11:23 am

It may be true but, if you really want to have full manual control of your footage, including focus, depth of field, motion artifacts etc., especially when shooting live action in complex lighting situations, then you need to be able to quickly adjust all key parameters: iris, ND filter, shutter speed, gain and focus (now maybe we can add gamma). We also know about degradation of image quality and difficulty to focus properly when using very small apertures (unlike still photography). In these situations ND filter may sometimes be the answer but you still need some finer tuning options.

Anyhow, with the old PD150 and also with the Z1 it was quite handy to adjust all these parameters and that was the way to get acceptable image quality. Probably with the EX-1 tha problem is not so critical, or at least I hope so.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]